Current Non-Genre Reading III

I've read a little (very little) Runyon. I imagine that a good narrator would make it very entertaining since his writing -- well, what I've read -- was conversational and sometimes very funny.

It's cool that your granddad was a friend of his.

Randy M.
 
There are about 50 of these short radio shows and many of them are on youtube
 
We abandoned Chuzzlewit on a shared consensus that we didn't care about it at all and had no idea, nor interest in, where it was going. We started 1001 Nights (Arabian Nights) instead, but it ended rather abruptly - at least, the copy I have. I'm now getting the separate volumes, as I'm sure we missed out on a whole lot of stories. Hell, even Ali Baba wasn't there!!
 
I like novels that span multiple genres in a single work. Current favorite authors in that area are Charles DeLint, James P. Blaylock, Guy Gavriel Kay & Neil Gaiman.
 
Just read John Le Carre's last novel, Agent Running In Place.
Sadly I can't recommend it to any but absolute Le Carre fans - among which I always counted myself.
It has a convoluted plot, previously never a downcheck in le Carre.
But it is told in first person by an old spook whose voice is never appealing. And who pulls solutions out of his a-- with no warning - even that he is capable of doing such.
And neither the main characters nor the uniformly smarmy members of the spy infrastructure appeal, even in their consistent confusion.
The politics are very current, with all characters and even the McGuffin of the plot revolving around Trump/Europe/Russia relations and attitudes. The despair I relate to even as I regret this being Mr. Cornwell's last novel. Here's a link that talks to Le Carre - and the novel.
Agent
 
I read Executive Power, the 6th book in the spy thriller Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. This one is much more globally based that the previous books, and I found it struggled a bit to make all the storylines succinct and free-flowing. Overall still a good read, but the ending was a bit too easy/abrupt and the relationship between Mitch and Anna a bit cheesy. 3/5
 
Just saw this item not sure my stomach is strong enough though

that said my family doctor when I was young graduated from Harvard in the 1890s. And from John’s Hopkins medical school in 1900... he was making his house calls in a horse and buggy in till one of his patients left him a Model T in the early 1930s by the time I was old enough to remember things about him it was the middle 1950s... he would tell his patients (as he told my mother and she obeyed him) to stop smoking while he was on his 3rd pack of 20 non filter cigarettes. He had a wonderful bedside persona that made you feel better as you did not want to disappoint him after getting him from his bed and driving out to our house 15 miles from town on a road that was not paved until 1955.
I say all that to tell you he had the top of the skull from his medical school dissection course on his desk as an ashtray and one of the kneecaps as his watch fob. When I asked about them he told me the subject had died of smokers lung...

the point is that medical students of his day at better medical schools had their own cadaver and did not have to share... and apparently it was normal to keep souvenirs :eek:
 
I told my GP on a telemedicine face time all about old Doctor Handly and he was also shocked so I sent him a copy of the paper back I linked to above as a 'happy' new year gift......kids today... oh well, he said that when was in medical school 4 aspiring doctors had to share a cadaver
 
Currently reading.
Aimless-Love-Collins-Billy-9780679644057.jpg

Av seems to have loaned his friend to Billy.
 
Last edited:
On Writing by Stephen King.

Read that recently and enjoyed it as much as a memoir as a book on writing.

Currently reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I kept seeing it referred to on-line, realized someone gave me a copy at least 10 years ago, and decided it was time. I'm finding it engrossing: Vida Winter is a best-selling, well-loved author who has reached an age and an illness that makes her want to publish a biography. No longer able to write, she hires Margaret Lea to listen to her and write the biography. But why Margaret Lea, who has written little? And will Miss Winter tell the truth? For years she has supplied stories that can't be verified when asked about her past.

Gothic to an extent, with echoes of Jane Eyre and, I think, Rebecca.
 
I told my GP on a telemedicine face time all about old Doctor Handly and he was also shocked so I sent him a copy of the paper back I linked to above as a 'happy' new year gift......kids today... oh well, he said that when was in medical school 4 aspiring doctors had to share a cadaver
Well I had to. Is this a case of "I.... ain't got no body!"?? :D
 
Finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Excellent Gothic with its roots in Jane Eyre and The Turn of the Screw. Vida Winter is billed as the 20th century Dickens and now, aged and ill, has decided to finally tell the truth about her life. Since her illness makes it difficult to write, she hires Margaret Lea to tell her story. Like Winter, Lea has secrets of her own, secrets that resonate with Winter's story, and so this turns into two life stories by way of family stories and merged to a degree with a detective story, where Lea has to research to be sure Winter is telling her the truth. Oh, and there may be a haunting as well.

If you're susceptible to 19th century fiction, even though the bulk of this story takes place sometime after automobiles and billboards become common but well before cell phones and the Internet, and if you enjoy stories of women struggling against obstacles, a story by turns sad and dire with something like redemption possible, and all in excellent, evocative prose, you would find this novel hard to put aside.
 
I have a fortunate? unfortunate? tendency to order (generally from the library) books and to then pick them up and get caught up in them even though I am in the middle of other grabby works.
The latest example of this is John LeCarre's The Pigeon Tunnel: Stories From My Life.
Vignettes re old MI6 (secret service) hands berating him for either denigrating their service or for leaking procedures or even actual secrets, are described along with lovely descriptions of working with Alec Guiness, Richard Burton, numerous other encounters and most importantly the impact that his con man father had on his career and life.
I am not an Anglophile per se. I am, however both by family marriage and long term (youthful) residence in GB someone who is fairly aware of British sensibilities and culture.
Strongly recommend this book as delightful for:
1. Lovers of Le Carre's works.
2. Brits who are interested in a delightful jaundiced view of their history/culture/politics.
3. Non Brits who might find the above to be of interest.
 
Last edited:
700x1000bb.jpg


Having become a fan of the AppleTV+ Series Dickinson, I became interested in the actual poetry by Emily Dickinson. Fortunately, this is widely available and in the public domain. I just finished Volume 1, of 3. Pretty good stuff, which I no doubt did not pay enough attention to in literature classes.

414e1711e95e25459cee22795c12714c.jpg
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.

Latest posts

Back
Top