Do You Ever Have To Defend Reading SF?

vortexreader

Registered User
Joined
Jul 7, 2001
Messages
168
I find that there is a definite prejudice against SF in the broader reading community. I'v often had to defend my reading choices to people who have never even attempted to read a SF title.

Has anyone else ever been in the same situation? If so, how do you explain the appeal of SF to 'outsiders'?
 
Never had to defend myself for reading anything actually!
smile.gif
Although, once, I had a low-loader bring home a Jordan book from the local library, and I was asked: "Surely, you don't actually intend to read that do you?"
wink.gif
 
Never have to defend Science Fiction reading - but fantasy....now that's a little different. Some of my friends kinda sneer at fantasy books. Though they all read Lord of the Rings, so you figure it out.....!
 
Hmm the only time I had anyone mention my reading only science fiction was in a directed reading course in high school. One day my teacher said that the next book I read can't be science fiction (that's all I'd read up to then).

So I brought in Portrait of Dorian Gray. Interesting read that sort of fit in with the other stuff I'd been reading.
smile.gif


My teacher wasn't unhappy with my choice of books. She read SF too. She just wanted me to mix it up a little.

Susan
 
I've never had to defend reading any genre so much as reading in general. No one would try to tell me to stop reading in high school but everyone else always acted like I was some kind of oddity for reading so much.
 
There is a widespread belief that science fiction books are of low artistic or literary value. Some of them are, others are not. The point is, is that what you have to look for every time you open a book?
Another thing is that you have to be able to apply suspension of disbelief when you read science fiction, otherwise you couldn't even start to swallow the idea of, say, mixed crews of humans, dolphins and chimps cruising in deep space and communicating in haikus; and that's a question of imagination.
It is probably a shortcoming of "literature" its being often unable to address themes that are deemed too close to science fiction to be taken seriously by highbrow criticism.
I could go on forever, but already now it looks like the ones who loose here are prejudiced readers...
 
Well, I've had problems, true. Most people I know don't read fantasy and don't even know of it. Oft-times the only fantasies they know of and read are of a slightly, err, different kind.

Nancy Friday, anyone?
 
A number of my more 'literary' minded friends are highly critical of SF. When we discuss it I point out that I think reading SF has made me a better reader all round (only about half of what I read is SF, the rest is capital L 'literature'). The suspension of disbelief that someone else has mentioned makes you more open to the authors intent when reading mainstream novels. I think SF readers are better able to go with the flow of a book, allowing the story to progress naturally as they are more open to odd concepts and new ideas.
 
Have any of you ever read 'Fallen Angels' by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle & Michael Flynn?

It's one great tribute to Science-Fiction (and a rant at mindless ecology, btw). In the book, Science-Fiction has basicly been outlawed as not beeing 'proper litterature,' while fantasy is barely tolerated as escapist crap. Of course the three writers have a thing or two to say about that
smile.gif
.

In the book the world is badly deepleted of resources and in the middle of an ice age. Some policemen find some SF books belonging to a fan and are about to trash them:

(Quote from the book below, hope it's allright with copyright and all that)

...

The books were The Sixth Winter, The Man Who Awoke, and Fahrenheit 451.

"Look at this crap, would you," Conte said in disgust. "With all the problems here on Earth, why would anybody waste their time with this escapist stuff? We oughta take these and throw them right into the trash can."

"What're the stories about, anyway?" Arteria took the dry, brittle volumes from Conte and read the back covers. Won't do to let them know I know already . . . "Get this. It says here that The Sixth Winter is about the sudden onset of an ice age; and The Man Who Awoke is about a scientist in 1933 who goes to sleep and wakes up in a future of depleted resources and ruined environments."

Conte took the books back. He scowled at them. "Yeah? What's the third one about?"

"Burning books."

...

He He, loved that scene
smile.gif
 
Mm, I enjoyed Fallen Angels, even if it does seem to pander to its audience a bit. Definitely worth a lot though.

Fortunately, I've never had to defend SF or fantasy from anything except half-joking attacks from family and friends.
 
nicba, that's really got my interest. Haven't read the book but I'm going to try and find a copy now!
 
I refuse to defend my SF & F reading tastes. Trouble is, those who aim to poke fun are almost exclusively those who have never picked up one for themselves. They can therefore have no opinion other than one they picked up off some mate's brother about wierdos and hence I won't waste my breath on them.

Rant over.
 
I have found through personal experience that defending SF&F can be done effectively and at the same time leave an impression on the naysayer.


I hit ‘em hard in the head with the book I am reading at the time.
wink.gif
 
I have found through personal experience that defending SF&F can be done effectively and at the same time leave an impression on the naysayer.

I hit ‘em hard in the head with the book I am reading at the time.

Harsh but fair. Unless you're reading a Peter F. Hamilton, in which case probably grounds for a manslaughter charge.
 
In defending my reading, I simply tell them that I have a degree in English Lit, and I've done my serious reading (and still do occasionally) and to leave me the f*** alone.

But, I haven't had to defend my reading in years and years. Since early college I think.

Susan
 
vortexreader, I'm sure you will anjoy Fallen Angels. It was a nice read IMHO, although Vitriol is right. It does pander to its audience a bit
smile.gif
.

If you have a Palm/PocketPC, or if you don't mind reading from the computer screen, a copy of the book can be downloaded from http://www.baen.com/library/ (the publisher). That's how I got it.
 
I know this is gonna hurt, but I have to ask.
I have been unable to figure it out, so here goes.

"What in the world does IMHO mean?"
 
You actually have people who critique your reading? Ah, you must be writers.
smile.gif
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top