Historical Fantasy

KatG

Necrological Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
14,995
Historical fantasy and alternate history fantasy form a large sub-category of fantasy fiction, and we thought we'd do a thread on it, like we have for contemporary fantasy. These stories are about Earth's past or the past of an alternate version of Earth. They are not alternate world stories about a world that is Earth-like. For the purposes of this thread, though, we will include stories which may take place partly in the present day of Earth or an alternate version of Earth and have multiple plotlines, some of which take place in the past; or where characters travel back in time.

I'm just going to list some titles and it's just to get things started. People can chime in with titles, give their opinions of titles brought up, and so on. Many of these have been brought up in the forum before and some may have their own discussion threads in the archives.

Susannah Clarke – Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell – Clarke’s multi-market success with this fantasy tribute to 19th century fiction shown a spotlight on historical fantasy when it came out in 2004. Clarke uses an alternate version of Earth/Britain where magic used to be more common, but has seemed to disappear from the world. The novel concerns two real sorcerers in the 1800’s, who have very different views on magic, and a magical force that effects their and many others’ lives. For me, the novel does a beautiful job with Victorian characters and structure, including humorous footnotes, and adds a very dark aspect to its fairytale elements. If you’re not wild about writers like Trollope and Dickens, though, you may find the large work too meandering for your liking.

Tim Powers – Powers has been writing contemporary and historical fantasy for decades and is one of the leading names in the field. His first novel, The Drawing of the Dark, concerns an Irish mercenary hired to guard a brewery in Vienna right before it is besieged by the Turks. His most famous novel, The Anubis Gates, involves time travel, 1800’s London, ancient Egyptian gods, modern day millionaires, and well, a lot of stuff in one of the most complex plots you’re likely to find. The Stress of Her Regard is a horror fantasy that concerns the English Romantic writers and politics in Central Europe, in which a race of protean vampire-like creatures have manipulated many events in history as sort of muses. On Stranger Tides is set in the pirate era of the Caribbean, and involves voodoo and the like. Declare is a spy thriller that runs from World War II through the Cold War era, and one of his best, I think. Three Days to Never takes place mostly in the present, but also involves time travel and past plotlines concerning Einstein, the atomic bomb and many other historical figures and events.

Jonathan Barnes – The Somnambulist – Barnes made a splash with this detective tale set in Victorian England, about a magician and his strange sidekick. Some people found it too quirky or didn’t like the first person, Victorian approach, others loved it. His The Domino Men takes place in the same world setting, but is contemporary fantasy.

Dan Simmons – Drood – Yet another Victorian, the Hugo-winning SF and horror writer tackles the last days of Charles Dickens, and the book has been getting accolades and a lot of media attention. (Suciul feels that this is more historical fiction than historical fantasy. I haven't read it, so I'm not going to disagree, but everything else I've read says that it is fantasy.) Before that, Simmons wowed with best-selling horror story The Terror, about the 1840’s polar expedition that runs into trouble. (Many feel that this is horror SF instead of horror fantasy, and again, haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet, though I'm a Simmons fan. We'll allow some definitions debates.)

Mary Gentle, who does both SF and fantasy has done several historical fantasies. The most well known is perhaps Ash: A Secret History, which is sometimes broken up into two parts, about a young woman who becomes the head of a mercenary group of soldiers in medieval Europe. A Sundial in the Grave: 1610 takes minor characters from The Three Musketeers and tells a story of court intrigue and alchemy. There is also her Ilario series set in an alternative version of the Renaissance – The Lion’s Eye and The Stone Golem – about a hermaphroditic painter, which has been getting attention.

J. Gregory Keyes did his well received series The Age of Unreason about an alternative version of the 1700’s with Ben Franklin and Isaac Newton as major characters, where alchemy has a big impact on science. The titles are Newton’s Cannon, A Calculus of Angels, Empire of Unreason, and The Shadows of God.

C.C. Finlay (Charles Coleman Finlay of Prodigal Troll fame,) has made a splash with a new series: Traitor to the Crown, in which witchcraft plays a role in the American Revolution. Titles are Patriot Witch, A Spell for Revolution, and Demon Redcoat.

We’ve got hundreds more. Dig in if you care to.
 
Last edited:
Lavinia is one of my favorite books, about the Italian woman who marries the Trojan hero Aeneas. Ursula Le Guin does a fantastic job blending myth, history, and fiction to create a very engaging story. Wonderful book.

Barry Hughart is another favorite with his three books Bridge of Birds, The Story of the Stone, and Eight Skilled Gentlemen set in an ancient China that never was. The plot is the same for each book, but you never notice thanks to Hughart's prose and his storytelling.

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Guy Gavriel Kay. I've liked every one of Alternate Fantasy his books with Tigana being one of my all-time favorites.

Regarding Tim Powers, I'm something of an odd duck in that I prefer The Drawing of the Dark to any of his later stuff. Something about books like On Stranger Tides and The Anubis Gates that somehow fails to draw me in. I'm not sure why.

Cloud Warrior, Drood, Ash, and The Patriot Witch are on my list to read this year. I probably won't get to all of them, but I'll try!
 
Historical fantasy and alternate history fantasy form a large sub-category of fantasy fiction, and we thought we'd do a thread on it, like we have for contemporary fantasy. These stories are about Earth's past or the past of an alternate version of Earth. They are not alternate world stories about a world that is Earth-like.
.

Some people might disagree, but Tolkien's Middle-earth stories (i.e. most of what he wrote) can loosely fit this criteria as they meant to be about our Earth (more precisely, North-Western Europe) in imaginary time. It draws heavily both from mythology and history (from Ancient Egypt to wartime Britain).

Interestingly enough, the story of Numenor started, indeed, as a time-travel story. Tolkien and Lewis decided to write SciFI and tossed a coin: Lewis would write a space travel story and Tolkien's task was time-travel. Lewis proceeded to write and eventually publish his space trilogy while Tolkien, as it often happened with him, never finished his. It's draft is included in the History of Middle-earth, published by his son, as The Lost Road in which two men from the Middle-ages go back in time to Numenor (Tolkien's Atlantis). Fortunately for Tolkien readers, the idea of Numenor survived and became part of the Second Age of Middle-earth.
 
Thought I'd mention Naomi Novik, whose Temeraire series has run to five books and counting. Simplistically, it's the Napoleonic Wars with dragons added on, or even more simplistically, "Patrick O'Brian meets Anne McCaffrey."

What makes the series work for me, apart from the excellent period feel of the characters, is how it takes us around the whole world and shows how all the parts of it are made different by the addition of the dragons: China, where dragons have been honored members of society for centuries; Africa, where they rule as ancestral spirits... and Britain, where (thanks to the protagonists) they are just now struggling to be treated as more than dumb beasts.
 
Jonathan Barnes – The Somnambulist – Barnes made a splash with this detective tale set in Victorian England, about a magician and his strange sidekick. Some people found it too quirky or didn’t like the first person, Victorian approach, others loved it. His The Domino Men takes place in the same setting.

Dan Simmons – Drood – Yet another Victorian, the Hugo-winning SF and horror writer tackles the last days of Charles Dickens, and the book has been getting accolades and a lot of media attention. Before that, Simmons wowed with best-selling horror story The Terror, about the 1840’s polar expedition that runs into trouble.

The Domino Men takes place in a present day London but from the alt-earth of The Somnambulist.

Drood is not fantasy; it is historical fiction with possibly some fantastical elements, but possibly not, just unreliable narrator and opium dreams. Still a masterpiece.

Twelve by Jasper Kent - Napoleon invades Russia and vampires fight alongside the Russians...

Legacy of Kushiel and now of Naamah by J. Carey - alternate Earth with magic , gods and sexual revolution

Affinity Bridge/Osiris Ritual by G. Mann steampunk and the occult ca 1901/2

New Amsterdam by E. Bear - Vampires in the colonies

The Revelator series by LE Modesitt - Ghosts in the colonies

Oath of Empire by Th Harlan - Rome vs Persia with magic

Belisarius series by E. Flint and D. Drake - same as above

Slaves of Shinar by J. Allen - early civilization with possibly some magic
 
David Gemmell - His Rigante novells are very similar to the romans conquest of europe. His books about Troy have alot of historical/fictional references from e.g. The Illiad. His Drenai novells also feature strong historical elements, it's almost like he blended the best of Roman/medival asian/ ancient greek histories together=)
 
Barthimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud are placed in an alternate Victorian London. I had a lot of fun with them, i even prefer them instead of Harry Potter.

I was going to mention Harry Turtledove, but his alternative histories are not generally magic/fantasy oriented.

Patricia McKillip with Winter Rose and the sequel Solstice Wood

Ian McDonald with King of Morning, Queen of Day

Robert Holdstock - Mythago Wood

Roger Zelazny - Amber Chronicles [maybe this one is a little forced into the topic as most of the action is on alternate worlds, not on Earth]
 
Last edited:
I'd second Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood, though I'm not 100% sure it fits the criteria of this thread.

Ester Friesner's Druid's Blood -- posits the Victorian era as it would have been had the Druids' magic banished the Romans from Britain. Very clever, adept, and fun, it's also a pretty good Sherlock Holmes pastiche.

Kim Newman's Anno Dracula -- Victorian era had vampires been real and Dracula succeeded in his quest to establish himself in England. Again, great fun, especially if you're knowledgable of nineteenth century literature, high and low, and can pick out characters from the fiction of the times.

Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen [graphic novel] -- the Victorian era (hmmmmm ... seems to be a theme here) had the great characters of fiction been real, living humans.

Lateral to this, Michael Moorcock's s.f. The Warlord of the Air might be of interest to readers who enjoy the fiction of this period and fantasy based in it. It has a terrific Wellsian feel to it.

Randy M.
 
Mark Frost's The List of Seven is an occult thriller that takes place in Victorian era London, featuring Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as the protagonist along with a character that would serve as Doyle's inspiration for Sherlock Holmes. One of my favorite books but I haven't read it in a decade so I don't know if the writing stands up. He wrote a sequel called The Six Messiahs that moves the setting to late 19th century America but I didn't enjoy that one as much.

I don't think it quite pushes it's way into full fantasy, but I would throw in a recommendation for Paul Malmont's Chinatown Death Cloud Peril. Takes place in 1930s New York and features a team of SF writers of the time- Lester Dent (creator of Doc Savage), Walter Gibson (creator of The Shadow), L. Ron Hubbard and another famous SF luminary that I won't spoil- who band together to solve the murder of HP Lovecraft. Tons of fun.

I agree with suciul that Drood is limited to Historical Fiction, not fantasy, but it does have a lot to offer to fans of the latter (though I didn't care for it nearly as much as he did).
 
How about:

Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series - yet another series with the end nowhere in sight.

S.M. Stirling's Nantucket series (alternate history spawned by a modern day event). I just finished this recently and posted about it here: Reading in July 2009 (sf)

And the big granddaddy, Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. There are really no overt fantasy elements, but perhaps some fantastic shadings.

Ken
 
Twelve by Jasper Kent - Napoleon invades Russia and vampires fight alongside the Russians...
I read this one recently and had some problems. First, I had difficulty believing the main character's motivations. The biggest problem though was that for a book set in another time period, Kent did a terrible job conveying the setting. The story could have been set in the modern world or ancient China for all the difference the setting made.

I know there are several reviewers who really enjoyed this book so I'm sure others will like it more than I did. :)

Thought I'd mention Naomi Novik, whose Temeraire series has run to five books and counting.
I've enjoyed this series so far as well. There have been some low points, namely the first three-quarters of the second book, but on the whole it's been fun reading.
 
I would include Conn Iggulden he writes a series on Julius Caesar called Emperor (starts with Gates of Rome) and another on Ghengis Khan (starts with Wolf of the Plains) the series is called Conqueror.

I enjoyed both series, few historical errors but I felt they were done to keep the stories rolling.
 
I read this one recently and had some problems. First, I had difficulty believing the main character's motivations. The biggest problem though was that for a book set in another time period, Kent did a terrible job conveying the setting. The story could have been set in the modern world or ancient China for all the difference the setting made.

I know there are several reviewers who really enjoyed this book so I'm sure others will like it more than I did. :)


I've enjoyed this series so far as well. There have been some low points, namely the first three-quarters of the second book, but on the whole it's been fun reading.

I have exactly the opposite problem - cannot stand Novik's setting since it seems so artificial - Jena with dragons just made me drop the 3rd book and run away from the author forever after a decent book 1 and an ok book 2 -, while I found the Moscow under Napoleon and the whole setting in Twelve just great and I read tons of books about the period, fiction, non-fiction, including War and Peace and much more...
 
The Hammer and the Cross trilogy by Harry Harrison is an alternative tale of Europe in the Dark Ages.

Alamut and Dagger and the Cross by Judith Tarr is a retelling of the aftermath of the Crusades.
 
Another Greek/Roman historical fantasy is Thomas Harlan's Oath of Empire duology - The Shadow of Ararat and The Gate of Fire. I quit halfway through the first book, but taste differs as we all know so for someone looking for Greek/Roman era with a (heavy) fantasy touch, this might be worth checking out.

Which reminds me of Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield dealing with the battle of Thermopylae. No fantasy elements apart from the obligatory superhuman Spartans. Easy historical fiction in the same fashion as Iggulden's take on Caesar mentioned earlier.
 
Which reminds me of Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield dealing with the battle of Thermopylae. No fantasy elements apart from the obligatory superhuman Spartans. Easy historical fiction in the same fashion as Iggulden's take on Caesar mentioned earlier.

Amazing book, can't believe I forgot about it so I guess I will mention Pressfields two books on Alexander the Great and his book on the Peloponnesian War.

Alexander series: Virtues of War and The Afghan Campaign

Peloponnesian War: Tides of War
 
While in the realm of fairy tale fantasy, Patricia C. Wrede's Snow White and Rose Red is set in Elizabethan England.
 
Gemmell's excellent Lion of Macedon and its sequel Dark Prince are set in Ancient Greece and have Alexander the Great as a main protagonist. Gemmell works his magic here as well as in any of his non-historical fantasy books.
Bernhard Cornwell's epic and deeply moving Warlord Saga (or lately called Arthur books) describes the conflict between Romanized Brits and conquering Anglosaxons and puts a very intriguing and amusing twist on the King Arthur saga, with Sir Lancelot and the Catholic church as the villains of the plot.
 
Last edited:
Susanna Clarke, Guy Kay, David Gemmell & Cornwell's Warlord trilogy are fine examples that I would echo.

If we're going to name Holdstock, The Merlin Codex trilogy, now complete, is more appropriate than the Mythago Wood series.

Jeffrey Ford's The Shadow Year is an example, as is his The Girl in the Glass. Just more recent ( 20th century) history.

Keith Donohue's The Stolen Child.

The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearney

The Wolves of Time by William Horwood

Whitechapel Gods by S.M. Peters
 
Kat advised me that this would be the best thread to mention a little gem by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. It's called Cecelia & Sorcery or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot. This was done in epistle form, most of the action being described correspondence between 2 cousins in a Regency England where magic is accepted and works. It's a heap of fun and very well done. It's been described at Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer invite JRR Tolkein to tea or chocolate in this case. If you liked Susannah Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell then you'd love this. They also did a follow up featuring the same characters done in diary form called The Grand Tour. There is a 3rd volume which my wife has read, but I haven't seen yet. I believe its due out in paperback some time next year.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top