Originally posted by Pluvious
Do you ever come to the point in your novel when you realize you don't have the knowledge to do a scene/plot justice? Or perhaps even in the planning stages you become aware that you can't write something the way you would like to?
Does this ever happen or do you simply research the subject as much as possible and do the best you can?
Yes, I wanted to know how a sword was actually forged in traditional medieval methods and could any later methods of working iorn and steel be "back engineered". So that I could have a logical reason for a charge of witchcraft, one that could be blown out of the water later in the story.
This lead me into entering into nearly two years e.mail conversation with one of Europe's finest smiths. Who has spent many years studing and trying to recreate a lost art. A gentleman, whose repoductions grace some of the great museums of Europe.
It also opened up a whole world of historical reseach for me.
I can tackle historical information, adapt and alter it to suit my story. Everthing from castle construction to everyday life. I can't and would not tackle SF at all ,as I don't have the "interest" to actually do the research for this.
I believe my strengths in writing lie in my love of history and my "eye" for studying and observing my "fellow man"
The information I gather and use is, for the most part, the backcloth to my story. Though sometimes it is the driving force, but the story is mainly about how the characters relate too or handle the situation they are in and deal with what is presented them.
The thing is you have to use enough infromation to convince your reader you know what you are talking about. This doesn't mean learning everything, but getting various opinions or viewpoints on the information, enough for you to distil a more or less convincing story line.