July 2015 Micro-Fiction Contest

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
1,858
It's July, our most patriotic month of the year, when we celebrate our country telling England where they could go stick it. When you think about it, the Declaration of Independence is the most famous Dear John letter of all time; we basically told someone far away that it was over, that we wanted to see other people, and then proceeded to give them a long list of reasons as to why it just wasn't working out anymore. So instead of going for an obvious theme like patriotism or revolution, let's take that angle and run with it.

This month's theme is THE BREAK-UP

WORD COUNT LIMIT: 100 words
DEADLINE: Midnight on July 20th

If you are new to the contests, here's a general outline of what to do:

1) Think of a story idea that includes speculative fiction elements (fantasy, science fiction, horror elements) and fits the theme stated above
2) Write story
3) Edit story
4) Post story in the Stories sub-forum. (Use these guidelines to title your thread so it is easy for folks to find your entry.)
5) Come back here and let us know that you posted your story and provide a link to that story (makes it easier for me to find your story when it comes time to vote).
6) Read the other entries and offer comments that help the writer both know what they did right and what they did wrong (in your humble opinion)
7) Vote when the voting poll goes up

The winner takes over the next contest and has the honor of picking its theme.

CONTEST GUIDELINES:
  • PG-13 - generally, the forum restricts its contents to what would be acceptable at the PG-13 rating. However, we are lenient for creative purposes in the writing forum. Please warn readers if your story contains adult situations.
  • Once you post your contest entry, we discourage writers from altering the original text submitted. While it may be okay to change a few typos here and there, please do not revise your piece substantially. If you would like to respond to feedback, you are encouraged to post your revision within the thread (but not the original post).
  • Please refrain from voting for your own story.
Good luck!
 
Congrats, Rich! Great theme. Maybe I'll join in this time. Either way, I look forward to what everyone cooks up.
 
celebrate our country telling England where they could go stick it
Well I say, the bally cheek.

EDIT: Also, damn, but my entry for the inaugural micro-contest would have suited this down to the ground. Clearly this is part of your insidious attacks on my nationhood, you blighter.
 
It's July, our most patriotic month of the year, when we celebrate our country telling England where they could go stick it.
Except for here in Canada where instead on July 1st, we celebrate the uniting of our country while still firmly squished under the Queens thumb. But I'll stick to the break up theme.
 
Hehe! I'm not offended! :D I kinda like the Dear John letter approach to the declaration of independence, I've never heard it put quite like that! :) Now I'm thinking of my little kingdom as a lonely island, the empire in its little black book! ;)
 
It's not too late to apologise. Come on back and you can have a pulled-swan sandwich and a real beer.

Also - great theme. I'm looking forward to this one :)
 
How can I resist? Follow the link to "It's Over! (Temporarily)."

(P.S. -- An operational question: I notice that most new thread titles are in bold type. I seem to be missing something. How is it done? Thanks -- WB)
 
Last edited:
without it looking like, well, a link?
yoo can try just deleting the link and writing anew
ore yoo can use the BB code editor in the upper-right corner
ore even rite the wurds furst before hitting the link button
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ihe

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top