July 2016 Motivation Thread

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Joined
Apr 21, 2010
Messages
2,126
Right, as last month's loathsome teacher's pet who smashed all his goals *and* his stretch goal I have to:

a) run this thread this month, and
b) set myself harder goals this month.

As my old Sifu used to say, "If you failed, try again until you succeed. If you succeeded, it was too easy. Make it harder and try again."

So, this month I will:

1) Receive (I hope!) the edits on Burned Man 3 and turn them around ahead of deadline.
2) Get the Grimdark WIP up to 40k. That's about 18k from where it is now.

You?
 
Wow. Somebody is keen. ;)
Ok. This month I will:
  1. Discover the Main Dramatic Question of the Novella I want to write during NaNoCamp for the contest and write the story that answers that question.
  2. Enter the Micro Fiction and Flash Contests
Stretch Goals
  1. Enter the Short Story Contest
  2. Rewrite Succession
 
Oh gods, have I made "stretch goals" a thing now? I'm so, so sorry... blame my corporate upbringing.
You all are too keen. Is this what success does to you? ;)

My goals for July?
  1. Read/review two books
  2. Enter the flash and maybe the micro contests
  3. Edit my map story and pass it onto to a few beta readers to tear apart
  4. Get back to my ghost stories
 
You all are too keen. Is this what success does to you? ;)

Joking aside, and for variable values of "success", but yes - over the last year I have boiled this down into two essential Pete's Rules:

1) Do The Work.
2) Get Paid.

Given that (2) is the desired end state, and (1) is the natural pre-requisite to achieve (2), then the objective is always (1) Do The Work.
 
I am taking part in Camp NaNoWriMo this month. I have set a modest goal of 10k, but when I hit it, that will be the most I have written in a single month this year.

I am writing a new story, with no outline, just a few character ideas. Trying my hand as Weird West. Just lots of fast talking and fast action. A completely fun write.

I will also be editing my maps story some more and submitting on July 31, at 11:59 p.m. ;)

Good luck to everyone.
 
My big goals for this month:

1) Put together a second collection of my work tentively titled Prosthetic Amalgams II

2) Complete a 'map' story for submission to the SFFWorld Anthology


my Stretch Mark Goal (I know, I know, blame @PeteMC ):
write 4 more short stories (to stick to the Bradbury plan: one a week)
as well as a few micro/flash/poetry pieces

and no I'm NOT going camping, it's too hot!
 
Last edited:
Howdy everyone.

I've always steered clear of these motivational threads in the past; I always felt that the added pressure was more of a hindrance than it was helpful. . .

However, since I've managed to get some writing done every day for the last month and a half, I'm feeling somewhat confident.

So, my goal for July:

Finish my story for this year's 'map' anthology.

And if I find the time, participate in the flash contest.
 
Ugh, oh god, okay.

I just got up to the lake, and am having trouble acclimatizing to the chaos. My goal this month is 15,000 words on my novel, which means 500 words a day. I've been averaging 1k lately, but right now the idea of getting a few hours of peace and quiet per day feels like a pipe dream. So, I dunno.

I'm also short 4,500 words from last month, so really my goal is more like 20k. Call that my "stretch goal". ;)
 
I re-read my map story last night. The one I wrote in a fury to meet my self-imposed deadline of June 30th.

It is sooooo bad. I still love the story. I think it's there, buried beneath a great pile of poo, but it is going to take a lot of work to get it to a stage where it makes sense.

(great big sigh)

Why is it, when I'm in the zone, and writing as if I'm a conduit to some great storyteller in the sky, do I write so terribly?

Or maybe...I just write terribly? o_O

(Excuse me as I go saw off my hands...)
 
Oh my Nila what are we going to do with you. :D I'm sure the story is there, particularly if you still love it. And you've got a whole month to polish it up.

I do know how you feel because in revisiting my 'Character Traits' story which has been out to a number of places I felt the same way. I'm in the process of revising it and don't feel quite as repulsed as I did that day after it had been rejected for the third or fourth or fifth time. Like you I still think there is a great story there and I just have to work with it to polish it up and revise it to bring out the greatness. You will too.

P.S. At least you HAVE a map story, I have only some vague ideas and 5000 words is a LOT for me. :D
 
Last edited:
Newbie member jumping in here... I love the idea of a monthly motivational thread! Beats the lonely 'writing' list I keep on my phone.

Goals for July:
1) Rewrite a short story I need to hand in for a fantasy anthology.
2) Try to complete a rough draft of a sci-fantasy YA novel (currently around 40% done).
 
Newbie member jumping in here... I love the idea of a monthly motivational thread! Beats the lonely 'writing' list I keep on my phone.

Goals for July:
1) Rewrite a short story I need to hand in for a fantasy anthology.
2) Try to complete a rough draft of a sci-fantasy YA novel (currently around 40% done).

Welcome!
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top