Maps in books

Heresy

The Lady of Wolves
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
118
What do people think about maps in books? Helpful, annoying or just ...... (fill in the blank).

Depending on how the map is done, I love seeing them in books. I find them helpful when characters have to go dancing around a country so often that it helps keep track where they are. The only maps I don't like are the sort that say, "You are here."
 
Personally I like maps, I used to have them plastered all over my bedroom. Maps in books are ok as long as they show landmarks and routes taken by the characters. The more detailed and colorful the map the better I like it. Maps in the cover or as appendix get used more often than maps in the text. I study the cover maps and appendix maps before reading to get an idea of the world's layout and after reading to relive the story.
 
Yeah, it's worth a look. ^^ (Always good to have variety in which to reply to.)
 
I love maps! They make the experience fuller, and sometimes they're extremely helpful (I'd be lost without them).

My favorite of course is Tolkien's map of Middle-Earth (Silmarillion and LOTR). Mirkwood, Rohan, Gondor...and how bout that nifty square of mountains around Mordor? :D

Other good ones are:
-Erikson (I've been anxious for a Quon Tali map, but I just found out it's in one of the later books!)
-George R R Martin (although I'm really annoyed with not getting a map of the Free Cities yet. It would REALLY have enhanced my enjoyment of the Daenerys storylines!)
-Williams (I liked the MS&T map)

I love Hobb, but I do admit her map is a little bit lacking.
 
You probably already know this, Evil Agent, but did you notice that if you turn the map of the Six Duchies upside down, it is the state of Alaska?
 
The only book with a map which I've read was Magician (Riftwar Saga) by Raymond E. Feist. I have to say that I found myself refering to it quite often, normally when new cities/towns were mentioned, or future trips planned.

They're deffinately useful :D
 
I love maps, its like a small visual staircase (and a mental one too) into the chosen world and its great to keep track of where the characters are.
 
WHAT?!?

<runs to shelf and looks at Six Duchies map>

Holy cr@p, you're right! :eek: I never knew that!
 
I never really look at the maps in books. I glance at them if they're in the front before I start the book, but that's about it.
 
Spears&Buckler said:
You probably already know this, Evil Agent, but did you notice that if you turn the map of the Six Duchies upside down, it is the state of Alaska?

:eek: ... :D That's cool.



alaska9sg.gif


farseermap9qq.jpg
 
I also enjoy a good map. I think helps to give an idea of the scope of the world and the journey the cahracters are on (if they are on one).
 
maps are just soooo useful. colour ones are best, and they need detail. i also enjoy seeing how they change as you get further into the series. i get annoyed when they are in the middle of the book cos then i need an extra bookmark (or i have to fold over more pages). i love making up worlds - i just map em and make up stuff bout em, no books cos i cant write but i still love to make up worlds so i just draw em out. i started just drawing on paper and scanning then adding a new layer in psp and makin it 50% transparent then colouring in but now i have developed a multi layer method in psp9 which i like. one of my maps is on my website www.harrymills.me.uk under the blogs section (direct link here)

tell me what you think on the comments page on the blog - thanks :D

btw, hi, its my first post
 
It really doesn't take much to get published in Fantasy, as long as it's marketable. Examples:

Sword of Truth, I have no clue why this is so popular. It has your standard woodsman/boy that finds a beautiful girl has to help her takes her to the secret powerful wizard who becomes his mentor blah blah blah... With horrible purple prose.

Eragon, Star Wars plot in Middle-Earth. Well, a 15-year-old wrote this, that means you have to say, "HEY! Give him a break! He is only 15, so keep on buying!" No, if it's trash, it's trash, no matter the age. Seriously, read his excerpt, I've seen fanfic that's better.

Then there's the McKiernan books, Exact copies of LOTR.
 
:confused: Talan, what has that to do with maps? Or wrong thread? :eek:
 
I was replying to this guy:
barnaby1388 said:
maps are just soooo useful. colour ones are best, and they need detail. i also enjoy seeing how they change as you get further into the series. i get annoyed when they are in the middle of the book cos then i need an extra bookmark (or i have to fold over more pages). i love making up worlds - i just map em and make up stuff bout em, no books cos i cant write but i still love to make up worlds so i just draw em out.
 
Aha. :rolleyes:

(Sorry, but it is really impressive how to get from that post to a tirade about three specific books one doesn't like. Ah, well, if that's your answer to it, that's your answer.)

Hey Heresy, funny, you find five year old threads but the one ChrisW linked to and which was from last year you missed. ;) Maybe it was too young a thread. :p [Just kidding, had a bad morning and now have to tease to relax a bit ;) So, don't mind me. :)]
For the record: what I think about maps in books can be found in that older thread . . .

Oh, and barnaby, welcome! :D
 
Nimea said:
Aha. :rolleyes:

(Sorry, but it is really impressive how to get from that post to a tirade about three specific books one doesn't like. Ah, well, if that's your answer to it, that's your answer.)

:D Well, how else am I suppose to bash stuff and be sneaky about it?
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top