Patrick Rothfuss The Kingkiller Chronicle Positivity Fan Thread

I think this book for me pointed out a major fact that cliched does not necessarily mean unoriginal, and you can use a lot of old tropes and still tell a good story. The book kind of proves that you can still have a rags to riches idea in your fantasy, or a boy who excels in nearly everything he does, and still be able to write a good book.

In fact, even though this book isn't one of my all-time favorites, or good enough that are future books make my "get-in-hardcover" list (and that list is very short, it only has two series on it at the moment and one is ending shortly), I'd say the book changed how I look at fantasy. If a book is well liked and well reviewed, I'm not going to stray away from it whether it has elves, zombies, vampires, a farmboy saving the world, an evil dark lord, an apocalypse, whatever. A good book can be good no matter what kind of old used tropes are inside of it. That's what I really appreciate Rothfuss showing me.

Well said.

I think it just comes down to good writing. As a kid I thought that if it's in print, it must be good. After all, it'd take a long time to write a book that's 1000 pages, right?? Well, after reading authors like Glenn Cook and David Farland, I'm coming to realize how rare good writing is. It's not like there's enough fiction out there so that a reader can get a super-specific idea in their head of what they want and just go out and find a good writer who's written something like it.

Good writing deserves to be read, and Rothfuss is a good writer.

And about the "fanboi" comment, I'm gonna claim that I'm a victim of my own ignorance. I didn't know that "fanboi" was so pejorative, and it didn't seem so far out of good humor when I first wrote it. I mean, I'm still not sure quite what it means, and the thread's title itself has the word "fan" in it. Oh well, my apologies.
 
Well said.

I think it just comes down to good writing. As a kid I thought that if it's in print, it must be good. After all, it'd take a long time to write a book that's 1000 pages, right?? Well, after reading authors like Glenn Cook and David Farland, I'm coming to realize how rare good writing is. It's not like there's enough fiction out there so that a reader can get a super-specific idea in their head of what they want and just go out and find a good writer who's written something like it.

Side interest: Are you making the claim that Cook and Farland are poor writers? Hard to tell which way you meant that. I quite enjoyed Cook's style.

Good writing deserves to be read, and Rothfuss is a good writer.

Positivity Time: I'm not so sure that I'd call Rothfuss a good writer as much as I'd call him a good storyteller (not saying he's a bad writer, but I don't think that's his main strength). Let's face it, the man can weave a tale and really catch one's interest. Some of the things I liked most in NOTW had nothing to do with Kvothe at all but were just good bits of storytelling. I think my favorite part (aside from when he earned his pipes) was when Skarpi (?) told the story of Lanre. Or the story of Taborlin. Or the ex-priest guy who helped children in Tarbean (I think I am in need of a re-read).

I can't really put my finger on why I liked the first book. When I stand far apart from it I say to myself "nothing happens, it's so boring" and yet if I sit down to read a passage I keep going and going. Even when it's boring it's somehow still engrossing. Paradox!

And about the "fanboi" comment, I'm gonna claim that I'm a victim of my own ignorance. I didn't know that "fanboi" was so pejorative, and it didn't seem so far out of good humor when I first wrote it. I mean, I'm still not sure quite what it means, and the thread's title itself has the word "fan" in it. Oh well, my apologies.

Well, you're the victim of something, but it's not anything on your end. :)

As for what it means, I suppose you could say an accurate definition would be "stark-raving mad lunatic fan," but some definitions on urbandictionary are:
1- Someone who is hopelessly devoted to something and will like anything associated with [that] particular thing.
2- Geek Term related to forum users who think a product/company/person can do no wrong.
3- Deliberate mispelling of the word 'fanboy' typically referring to an annoying, immature fan of a specific video game console.


The third one is kind of irrelevant, but the first two....:o
 
Well, you're the victim of something, but it's not anything on your end. :)

As for what it means, I suppose you could say an accurate definition would be "stark-raving mad lunatic fan," but some definitions on urbandictionary are:
1- Someone who is hopelessly devoted to something and will like anything associated with [that] particular thing.
2- Geek Term related to forum users who think a product/company/person can do no wrong.
3- Deliberate mispelling of the word 'fanboy' typically referring to an annoying, immature fan of a specific video game console.


The third one is kind of irrelevant, but the first two....:o

What exactly is he the victim of? And what are you insinuating? This can be interpreted a number of different ways.
 
Geez get over it.

Positivity Time: I'm not so sure that I'd call Rothfuss a good writer as much as I'd call him a good storyteller (not saying he's a bad writer, but I don't think that's his main strength). Let's face it, the man can weave a tale and really catch one's interest. Some of the things I liked most in NOTW had nothing to do with Kvothe at all but were just good bits of storytelling. I think my favorite part (aside from when he earned his pipes) was when Skarpi (?) told the story of Lanre. Or the story of Taborlin. Or the ex-priest guy who helped children in Tarbean (I think I am in need of a re-read).
Agreed. There is nothing groundbreAking about the book or author. It's just a damn good story.
 
sdelu;626181 [B said:
Positivity Time:[/B] I'm not so sure that I'd call Rothfuss a good writer as much as I'd call him a good storyteller (not saying he's a bad writer, but I don't think that's his main strength). Let's face it, the man can weave a tale and really catch one's interest. Some of the things I liked most in NOTW had nothing to do with Kvothe at all but were just good bits of storytelling. I think my favorite part (aside from when he earned his pipes) was when Skarpi (?) told the story of Lanre. Or the story of Taborlin. Or the ex-priest guy who helped children in Tarbean (I think I am in need of a re-read).

You're nitpicking. I'm pretty sure NS meant good writer in the sense that he writes for a living, and is good at it, rather than picking out a specific part of the novel that felt well done.

If that is the sense that you meant as well, and think he'd be better as a story teller, then that's fine. Personally, I don't know how well he works the intonation of his voice.;)

But, kidding aside, storytelling is definitely the best part of Rothfuss' writing, yes.
 
I PUT ON POSITIVE FACE


I liked it when Kvothe left the University

I liked it when Kvothe yelled at Denna

I liked it when Kvothe left that city he stayed in for a long long time

I liked it when Kvothe killed the bandits

I liked it when Kvothe left the Fae realm
 
Side interest: Are you making the claim that Cook and Farland are poor writers? Hard to tell which way you meant that. I quite enjoyed Cook's style.

I didn't like them as writers. Maybe if I were more patient, I'd have enjoyed the Black Company. But something about getting through the first 3 pages (much less 3 chapters) without knowing where I am, who is there, what they are doing or why I should care just fundamentally irks me.



Positivity Time: I'm not so sure that I'd call Rothfuss a good writer as much as I'd call him a good storyteller (not saying he's a bad writer, but I don't think that's his main strength). Let's face it, the man can weave a tale and really catch one's interest. Some of the things I liked most in NOTW had nothing to do with Kvothe at all but were just good bits of storytelling. I think my favorite part (aside from when he earned his pipes) was when Skarpi (?) told the story of Lanre. Or the story of Taborlin. Or the ex-priest guy who helped children in Tarbean (I think I am in need of a re-read).

I can't really put my finger on why I liked the first book. When I stand far apart from it I say to myself "nothing happens, it's so boring" and yet if I sit down to read a passage I keep going and going. Even when it's boring it's somehow still engrossing. Paradox!


Well I don't think Rothfuss gets at a Faulkner'esque level of concinnity or precision with his prose, but a good voice is definitely one of the more important aspects of fiction writing. I've encountered a lot of writing that was super polished, but where the voice was too impersonal. The problem is that you can't teach or learn how to execute a good narrative voice.

So, I'd say voice is Rothfuss' greatest strength, it it seems to have been enough on its own to get him into the best-seller lists. Can't argue with that.



About UrbanDictionary, that site has virtually no credibility. You could look up a word like "mother" and it would probably have a pornographic or pejorative context.
 
I tend to dislike over analyzing works I truly love, but since I really love The Wise Man's Fear I will take a stab at it.

Someone on another forum called Kvothe a Mary Sue, and I can see their point to a degree. But I think - and I have not read any of Rothfuss's comments, or his blog, etc. - he may be an intentional subversion of this trope. For me it is not Kvothe's strengths which define him as a character, but rather his flaws and weaknesses. For a genius he can be wince inducing stupid about alot of things, and yet I always find him to be a well realized and compelling character. I think Rothfuss knows Kvothe on a very deep level.

I also think he does a wonderful job with almost all of his characters, and that as a writer he is capable of creating a memorable bit character with only a few brief strokes. I particularly enjoyed the three mercenaries he went out to the forest with and thought the little love story there played out wonderfully.

Others have complained about the side quests, but to me they were all highly entertaining. The Wise Man's Fear was a book I simply could not put down, and I whole heartedly intend to reread it in a few weeks at a less franetic pace. :D
 
I tend to dislike over analyzing works I truly love, but since I really love The Wise Man's Fear I will take a stab at it.

Someone on another forum called Kvothe a Mary Sue, and I can see their point to a degree. But I think - and I have not read any of Rothfuss's comments, or his blog, etc. - he may be an intentional subversion of this trope. For me it is not Kvothe's strengths which define him as a character, but rather his flaws and weaknesses. For a genius he can be wince inducing stupid about alot of things, and yet I always find him to be a well realized and compelling character. I think Rothfuss knows Kvothe on a very deep level.

I also think he does a wonderful job with almost all of his characters, and that as a writer he is capable of creating a memorable bit character with only a few brief strokes. I particularly enjoyed the three mercenaries he went out to the forest with and thought the little love story there played out wonderfully.

Others have complained about the side quests, but to me they were all highly entertaining. The Wise Man's Fear was a book I simply could not put down, and I whole heartedly intend to reread it in a few weeks at a less franetic pace. :D

OW I think I have finally found someone who likes this story as much as I do :)

I am about 300 pages in so far. I have forced myself to only read small bits at a time so I can more thoroughly enjoy the reading process. Everything has been absolutely perfect. Not a word misplaced. Everything that is happening has weight behind it and is absolutely relevant. So far the reviews across the internet have been absolutely fantastic. There have been a few detractors on this forum but it is obvious from a critical standpoint The Kingkiller Chronicle is taking its place amongst the greatest of stories told in fantasy. The only negative thing I have heard so far is that some side quests seemed to drag on. I think the core issue is that some fantasy readers need a certain amount of fantasy trappings to stay engaged. Or on the other end of the spectrum with an author like Martin and his ASOIAF you have non stop action. Court intrigue, battles, etc etc. Something big is constantly happening. And even in those moments where the plot slows down the world itself is fully realized and detailed so there is something to keep the reader engaged.

The Kingkiller Chronicle is a very different type of story. It is an auto biography and often really doesn't read like traditional fantasy at all. It slowly builds and the pace is never forced. It moves along at a pace of Kvothe's chosing which is intriguing but apt given that it is Kvothe recounting his story. The character driven nature of this story and the intimacy and complexity contained therein transcends genre which is part of why it seems to sell well even with fans who do not typically read fantasy. One doesn't really even need to be a fantasy fan at all to be able to connect with this story in a tangible way. The fantasy trappings function to serve the needs of the story which is rare in this genre as typically it is the other way around.
 
Last edited:
Finished it earlier tonight. Overall I think I liked it better than the first one, though I also think that overall there were more things about it that I didn't like as well.

I think tomorrow or the day after I will write a full review.

Also, a spoiler thread to discuss some theories would be nice for when I have all my thoughts collected
 
Wise Man's Fear was the featured selection from my book club, and they were running a special.. Name of the Wind and Wise man's Fear for 22.99 so I bit.


I just read half of Name of the wind in one sitting. I actually can't remember the last book I did that on.. Consider me a fan Mr. Rothfuss..
 
Wow. I just finished Chapter 37 last night, "A Piece of Fire" where
Kvothe is sharing a story with his friends about his people. The chapter details the story of the old man wandering for a place to rest and a little to eat, and describes his encounters with different camps of people he met.

To me, that has been hands down the best part of the book so far. I could have read another hundred pages about it.

Surprisingly, I seem to be enjoying WMF more than others, and I have had no issue with the amount of depth the 'side quests' have received. It reminds me of the first third of NOTW, which I loved as well. I hope it continues. ;)
 
Last edited:
Really really enjoying TWMF so far. It's actually helping me prepare for fatherhood (we're due in Sept) by keeping me up till 2-3 a.m. every morning, lol. I'm starting to get used to the 4-5 hrs of sleep I can expect with an infant. I closed the book at about 2:30 last night when my wife mule-kicked me in bed, and it took me about 45 mins for my heart rate and mind to slow down enough to get sleepy. Haven't experienced reading like that in 15 years, when I was a teenager and would read Martin and Jordan till my eyes bled.

Yeah... I'm a fan...
 
Seabeast, I had the same experience. I read the book in about 3 days, much of the time staying up through the night. I'd like to have a spoilers discussion too. Especially about the ending, I'm curious as to what other people think about what is going on.
 
I've never read the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Anyone want to give me a low down on 1) what it's about, and 2) why it's enjoyable to read?

The most I've gotten from the thread so far is that the author is a good storyteller.

Also, for anyone joining in on the conversation, remember that the thread topic is about positive aspects of the books.

Thanks for the reminder.
 
I've never read the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Anyone want to give me a low down on 1) what it's about, and 2) why it's enjoyable to read?

The most I've gotten from the thread so far is that the author is a good storyteller.



Thanks for the reminder.

Basically, the story is a Bildungsroman about the character of Kvothe. In the world of the novel, he is a legendary/mythic/feared/adored figure. He's performed great feats, dastardly deeds, and powerful magics who then mysteriously disappeared. Though some of that may be true, much has been embellished over the years. When a traveling court scribe is traveling in search of Kvothe, he arrives at an inn whose proprietor matches the scribe's assumed description of the hero figure. Kvothe then recounts the REAL story of his life and the truth behind his legendary and infamous feats. As much as the book/series is about Kvothe, it is also about the power of story and how it can morph over time.

What makes it so enjoyable for many people is Rothfuss's great ability to tell a story with ample doses of intrigue, romance, and superb character development. A lot of the story plays up genre cliches while other parts twist those cliches on their head. One might say Kvothe and or Rothfuss has great genre savvy.
 
Basically, the story is a Bildungsroman about the character of Kvothe. In the world of the novel, he is a legendary/mythic/feared/adored figure. He's performed great feats, dastardly deeds, and powerful magics who then mysteriously disappeared. Though some of that may be true, much has been embellished over the years. When a traveling court scribe is traveling in search of Kvothe, he arrives at an inn whose proprietor matches the scribe's assumed description of the hero figure. Kvothe then recounts the REAL story of his life and the truth behind his legendary and infamous feats. As much as the book/series is about Kvothe, it is also about the power of story and how it can morph over time.

What makes it so enjoyable for many people is Rothfuss's great ability to tell a story with ample doses of intrigue, romance, and superb character development. A lot of the story plays up genre cliches while other parts twist those cliches on their head. One might say Kvothe and or Rothfuss has great genre savvy.

The romance element is interesting. Typically I cannot stomach romance in a novel. In this case though the romantic elements do not read like typical romance. I suppose it is palatable because I can understand the intellectual purpose behind the Denna/Kvothe dynamic, more specifically, how it impacts Kvothe's character development. I think Rothfuss got this element of the story right. It is chock full of awkwardness and confusion that one would expect from someone of Kvothe's age as he tries to handle and process those emotions.

All of that being said it is the only element of the story that annoys me at times. I really don't have many heart strings to tug and romance doesn't interest me in the slightest. A number of times I kept thinking to myself that Kvothe should just tap that and move on. Granted I am acting like a stereotypical male but well, in many ways, I am a stereotypical male.

So yes sffworld, I 3rdI, am capable of criticizing elements of this story. I love the story with the same passion that EA and Wert love ASOIAF but this should put the fanboy thing to bed.
 
Last edited:
I tend to have a few major pet peeves in any type of literature. Two that top my list are strong inconsistencies in a story/series, and jarring transitions. In both books so far Rothfuss is consistent in his details and manages the transition from past to present and so on in a way that is easy to follow and does not detract from the story. I know people have said that he's not a legendary writer, but in some ways I disagree. He takes great care with his writing and maintaining the literary integrity of his stories in areas that other authors seem to forget about entirely. There are very few places where he uses words just to fill space or for the sake of hearing himself "talk". I think he's a fabulous author.
 
I really think it's silly when people start making the "good storyteller" or "good writer" comments.

That said...

I DEVOURED Name of the Wind. Just finished Wise Man's Fear tonight, and I deliberately took my time with it. The first half was pure joy. It dragged for me a weenie bit at the 3/4 mark.

I absolutely adored where he left me, though.
 
Back
Top