Quick Poll -The Ten Thousand

Lordwalker

Registered User
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
152
I wanted to get a quick opinion on the next book on my to be read pile, The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearney.

If you've read it:

Did you like it?

Is it a must read?

Compare the writing style/similarities to one other fantasy book or series.

Thanks for your anwers!
 
Nothing special. I like big stories, felt like it started out big and had alot of potential. Then it turned into a story of some guys trying to survive which was ok I guess. Nothing wrong with the writing, can't say I was bored. Don't be hesitant to read it but I wouldn't say it is a must read.

Alot of people compare it to David Gemmel. I've only read Legend by Gemmel and I wasnt overly impressed with that either, so might be a good comparison. Felt like The Ten Thousand had better writing then Legend though.
 
I would have to disagree. I could not put it down. It had some of the best military fighting that ive ever read in a book. They have some threads about it, and it seemed to get rave reviews here.

Dont know what is in your to read pile, but its definitely worth checking out.
 
I haven't read The Ten Thousand, but I did read another series by Kearney, The Monarchies of God, which I thought was very well written. If nothing else, I'll vouch for Kearney's ability to craft a compelling epic fantasy and his talent for depicting large-scale military campaigns.
 
I would have to disagree. I could not put it down. It had some of the best military fighting that ive ever read in a book. They have some threads about it, and it seemed to get rave reviews here.

Dont know what is in your to read pile, but its definitely worth checking out.

Nothing wrong with the military fighting if that's all you are looking for. I just felt like the whole book was nothing more then an excuse to write about military fighting. If that's your thing then by all means read it.
 
I've read both Legend and The Ten Thousand, and I prefer Paul Kearney.
I found the storytelling very convincing, economical but effective, with lyrical touches. The mercenary characters are pragmatists, trying to survive in a hostile environment and their story is told avoiding the mushy sentimentality of Legend or the cynical nihilism of The Heroes. The magic part is kept to a minimum, mostly in the form of special armour, making this one of the most realistic epics, without superheroes getting out of scrapes through the timely interventions of deities or wizards.
The story is also a standalone. The next book in the Macht series makes references to the events from The Ten Thousand, and they should be read in order, but you can stop after the first one easily.
 
Nothing special. I like big stories, felt like it started out big and had alot of potential. Then it turned into a story of some guys trying to survive which was ok I guess. Nothing wrong with the writing, can't say I was bored. Don't be hesitant to read it but I wouldn't say it is a must read....

I hope you realize that is a result of Kearney following his source material, the Anabasis by Xenophon.
 
I hope you realize that is a result of Kearney following his source material, the Anabasis by Xenophon.

I read at least 3 modern novels based on that material and the original Xenophon too for that matter - Kearney, Manfredi (non-sff but with fantastic elements) and MC Ford (strictly historical fiction) and of all I thought Kearney's was the best in most ways (style, characters...) but I also agree that its subject is limiting and the author does not really transcend it imho hence the book was a very good read but not what i would consider must read by a long way
 
Definitely a must read. I started off with the Monarchies of God Series first and moved to the Macht Trilogy afterwards. Both are awesome.
 
Now that Kearney's getting the recognition he deserves I have to admit something blasphemous.

It seems like I'm the only one, but for me, some essential aspects of his style that drew me to his works diminishes with each subsequent book. The last book I was really immersed in is The Mark of Ran (Monarchies before that were great to).

The Ten Thousand and Corvus have lean, efficient and yet commendably lyrical prose and good characterization (liked Rol and the protagonists of Monarchies of God a lot more though), but the story and worldbuilding are really lacking. Kearney also had some romantic quality to his writing which seems to have disappeared after the first book in The Sea Beggars Trilogy which I really appreciated.
 
If you have any interest in military fantasy whatsoever these books are a definite must read. And that goes for Monarchies of God as well.

And I'm not sure what thrindir is talking about. I liked the Macht series (so far) better than Monarchies, mostly because I was pretty indifferent about the 5th and 2nd books of the Monarchies series. The 3rd and 4th books are fantastic, though.

Oh, and if pacing is something that matters to you, Kearney has the best pacing (in terms of balance) of any writer I've read.
 
Past works had shreds of innocence, idealism and romanticism that were gradually over-ridden by Kearney's other quality - writing harsh, unrelenting and brutal stories.

I never would have thought, but I miss that "old-school" epic fantasy feel in his newer works.
 
I would say read The Ten Thousand it is a great book IMHO
 
i really enjoyed it and corvus. i would say if you enjoy gritty, plain prose fantasy its a must read.
 
It's excellent. Not Kearney's best work, but pretty decent. It's biggest weakness is that it sticks too closely to the original legend, something Kearney avoided with the superior sequel, Corvus.
 
"It's biggest weakness is that it sticks too closely to the original legend..."

Xenophon wrote about the Persian Expedition as an eyewitness, so it was actually a history or memoir rather than a legend.
 
Xenophon wrote about the Persian Expedition as an eyewitness, so it was actually a history or memoir rather than a legend.

How many neutral histories or autobiographical stories do you know :D?
I still have to agree 'legend' is a bit harsh.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top