Reading in Fantasy / Horror, January 2022

Hobbit

Cat Wrangler and Reader
Staff member
Joined
Jul 16, 2001
Messages
18,613
And welcome to 2022!


new-year-2022-free-gif.gif

(Last month's discussion of Fantasy /Horror is HERE. )

It is the usual message here - even though things are beginning to return to some sort of normality, it is in these strange and uncertain times that perhaps you telling us about what you've been reading in Fantasy / Horror is important. Communication on such matters means that you may feel less alone.

Remember, good or bad, we still want to know what you think.


All the best for a better 2022.


Hobbit/Mark
 
The Gypsy Morph

61PJzOqnUdL.jpg


The final part of The Genesis of Shannara trilogy follows the characters on their journey to the safe place promised to them by the Gypsy Morph, Hawk. Their journey is not straightforward, however, with a demon led army hot on their heels, along with a formidable beast that is unleashed to hunt down Hawk.

This is another decent story in the Shannara series though perhaps not one of my favourites as the events played out much as I thought they would. Also, Brooks tends to shy away from going into too much detail during battle scenes and prefers to focus on the characters and their personal struggles, which is okay, but sometimes you find yourself wanting a little more. I think this book is better off judged as the ending to a three part story rather than a distinct entity in its own right, and in that respect it does provide a satisfactory conclusion to the story as a whole. I have The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara and High Druid of Shannara trilogies lined up to read, but I will leave it a few months before tackling them.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!! :D
 
Plugging my way through Harrow the Ninth by Muir. Almost half way. I think I heard the story takes off in the second half. ?? Getting used to the second person. Maybe I can revisit the fantasy book by Ann Leckie?
 
The Library of the Dead

91bIsiZWYCL.jpg


Set in an alternate Edinburgh some years after (what seems like) a separatist uprising, public services are in a poor state and poverty is endemic. The Library of the Dead follows 14 year-old ghostalker Ropa as she makes ends meet by carrying messages from the dead to their living relatives. One of the ghosts she meets is a mother who begs Ropa to look for her missing son, and the resulting search supplies the meat for the rest of the story. Along the way, Ropa gains admittance to the secret library of the title where she begins her training in the magical arts.

For what was clearly the first episode of an urban fantasy that contained shades of the Rivers of London novels, this was still an enjoyable and engaging read. Ropa’s Shona heritage echoes that of Peter Grant’s in the ROL series, but her own individuality shines through and sets her apart from any comparison. In fact, it was Ropa’s sassy, streetwise voice that won me over; that, and the convincing, dark Edinburgh world the author had created. Overall, the Library of the Dead was an enjoyable read and there was plenty in the book to make me interested in a future episode.
 
Liking it so far. New to Abercrombie though.

Lots to look forward to, I think! :)

Overall, the Library of the Dead was an enjoyable read and there was plenty in the book to make me interested in a future episode.
Pleased you liked it, AC: and yes, Rivers of London is a similar style I could've / should've mentioned.
 
A Song for Arbonne

12778403702.jpg


Set loosely in southern France in the early Middle Ages, A Song for Arbonne is part courtly intrigue with Kay’s usual splash of speculative elements to set it apart from full-on historical fiction. The country of Arbonne with its female rulers and Cathar-like worship of two gods is under threat from its misogynistic northern neighbour. The influential de Garsenc family’s patriarch, Galbert, is set on destroying Arbonne, but his estranged son, Blaise, is currently working in Arbonne and is gradually being won over by the country and its people.

For the most part this is another semi-historical tale from Kay and the fantasy elements do not interfere much with the storyline – apart from a key moment near the end (much like in The Last Light of the Sun). I enjoyed it as such, though perhaps not as much as the other books I have read by Kay. To illustrate this, one or two of the characters seemed superfluous, I felt, and only served to clutter the storyline. Other than that, A Song for Arbonne is a fairly absorbing tale that captures the spirit of the time and the nuances of the semi-fantasy world it is set in. Like Kay’s other stories it’s more historical tale than fantasy but is still a good read.
 
Currently reading J D Oswald's Dreamwalker (xmas pressie received). Not one I'd necessarily pick up myself, but interesting so far. Struggling to get over the use of Welsh words for names, places, and general stuff. Because I know what the translations are it's hard to just accept and move on like I would with any other fantasy novel with made-up words and phrases. Hopefully it won't cause too many problems.
 
the-nightmare-stacks-678x1024.jpg

I just finished reading The Nightmare Stacks which is the sixth full novel in the Laundry Files Series. In these books, Charles Stross takes us into the world of the UK’s secret government agency which protects its citizens from supernatural horrors from the darker parts of the multiverse.

The protagonist of this particular novel is Dr. Alex Schwartz, who is a pretty new Laundry employee. He is also a vampire (or PHANG in Laundry-speak). He was introduced in the fourth novel The Rhesus Chart. He’s just met a smoking hot girl named Cassie, who is much more than she appears. In fact, she is an eldritch spy, Agent First of Spies and Liars, and a member of a race from a parallel earth called the alfar. These magic-using hominids have visited the earth before and given rise to many ancient legends. Alex doesn’t know it yet, but he will soon be declaring the first actual incident of CASE NIGHTMARE RED.

The story of the Laundry and its staff are rife with dry dark humor that is characteristic of this series. It’s interesting to see a novel written from a different viewpoint than Bob or Mo. Alex is the storyteller here, with supporting roles from Pinky, Brains, and Pete the Vicar. This has been one of the most exciting Laundry novels for me in a while! The story builds along with the suspense right up to the stunning conclusion.
 
The God is Not Willing

81FCMp5uZRS.jpg


It’s been a good while since I last read a Malazan book and this, the first in Erikson’s sequel trilogy, seemed like an ideal point to step back into the Malazan world rather than play catch up with the rest of the Book of the Fallen series I hadn’t read. This did result in many references to previous events going over my head, though I picked up the main gist of the references relevant to this story. If a reference was beyond me, I just let it slide by.

A few parts of the book, including the opening, are in what I think of as being high fantasy speak; you know, portentous statements and the like, which immediately made me question if I had misjudged my choice to read this book. Had it all been written in this way I would have been put off, but as soon as the storyline switched to the Malazan marines the tone of the storytelling changed to banter and humour. Rant’s storyline was the one I looked forward to returning to the most; though initially vulnerable and friendless, his journey of awareness marked him out as the character who will likely feature heavily in the next book. Without a doubt The God is Not Willing is grimdark in nature and features the dark humour, flawed characters and essential grittiness you’d expect. There is, however, an undercurrent of responsibility and compassion that comes, surprisingly, from the exceedingly lethal squads of marines who play centre stage. All of this comes together to make a pretty good story and an engaging read, and I’ll definitely be reading the next book when it comes out.
 
Last edited:
Finished the first trilogy of Joe Abercrombie's "First Law" series. No good guys in these stories.

It is a gritty tale set in a world of seemingly epochal cycles of high culture and self destruction. Mostly due to the machinations of a cadre of eternal god-like wizards who meddle in various cultures over the ages to continue their personal vendettas against each other.

I can see where the author was trying to go. But I thought some of his main protagonists were a bit too inept and shallow. Especially during times where they would have had a chance to be more than they were. But I guess that is how I was imagining Abercrombie's characters to act...and , it's not my tale ;)

Still, all in all a good story. Looking forward to the next trilogy. Started "Best Served Cold", the 1rst novel of the "First Law World" series last night.
 
Last edited:
Started "Best Served Cold", the 1rst novel of the "First Law World" series last night.

My favourite out of all Abercrombie's books. You're right about there being no good guys in these books but that's what makes them fun. Sand dan Glokta will stay with me forever.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Raf
Overall, the Library of the Dead was an enjoyable read and there was plenty in the book to make me interested in a future episode.
Have the new one here to read, AC!

But I guess that is how I was imagining Abercrombie's characters to act...and , it's not my tale
Exactly. The characters do not always act how we think they should..... :)
 
51057191._SX318_SY475_.jpg


I finished Jade Legacy, the third and final book in the The Green Bone Saga by Fonda Lee.

Like the first two, this was an excellent read, totally immersive as the No Peak and Mountain clans fight for supremacy and control over Jade, a substance that gives them special powers. It was long (longer than the first two books) at around 700 pages, but this wasn't an issue at all as the author expertly weaves the many characters and political issues into such a well-paced novel (she has a black belt in martial arts and is an ex-Corporate Strategist, and it shows).

Probably one of the best series I've read - really worth checking out! (and this book has an average rating on GR of 4.74 - the highest I think I've seen!)
 
Finished the first trilogy of Joe Abercrombie's "First Law" series. No good guys in these stories.

It is a gritty tale set in a world of seemingly epochal cycles of high culture and self destruction. Mostly due to the machinations of a cadre of eternal god-like wizards who meddle in various cultures over the ages to continue their personal vendettas against each other.

I can see where the author was trying to go. But I thought some of his main protagonists were a bit too inept and shallow. Especially during times where they would have had a chance to be more than they were. But I guess that is how I was imagining Abercrombie's characters to act...and , it's not my tale ;)

Still, all in all a good story. Looking forward to the next trilogy. Started "Best Served Cold", the 1rst novel of the "First Law World" series last night.

I’ve recently re-started reading this trilogy after initially not finishing the first book. I wound up eventually trying the later books and found I liked them more. That in turn caused me to re-attempt the first trilogy in order to better appreciate and understand the later ones.

I’m in the middle of the second book (Before They Are Hanged) and liking the series better this time because I persevered into the second book. I think the reason I couldn’t get into the first book was because there seem to be no stakes or goals at first.

Initially, it’s just a bunch of different characters doing stuff but with no large story goal in mind. So, there was nothing pulling me through and I couldn’t sustain interest.

By the second book, story goals and problems are established and there are now stakes. So, this time, I feel a reason to return every day in order to see how things go.
 
Talking of re-trying, guess what I'm trying (AGAIN).... :)

Is this a precursor to watching the TV series, Hobbit? Or a result of watching the TV series?
If it's the latter, I can understand the desire to flesh out the abridged TV version.
 
Haven't watched the TV series yet, AC. Just finished The Witcher. This is an ongoing task of mine.... I think it's 4 times I've tried reading this series. Really liked the beginning but keep stalling around Book 3 - 4, the point at which I usually lose the will to live. :)
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top