I finished "Blue and Gold" the short 100 page novel by KJ Parker tbp late 2010 (or novella - though like Purple and Black this one has a feeling of completeness while for example the excellent A Rich Full Week from the Swords/Dark magic anthology has the novella episodic feeling)
I actually read it several times to get all its nuances since it's packed with stuff whose true meaning becomes apparent only gradually; a first person narration from self-confessed unreliable narrator, philosopher, writer, criminal and genius alchemist Saloninus aka Nino, former college chum and current court alchemist and brother-in-law to prince Phocas who rules the respective country; the prince wants to find the secret of transmutation (base metals in gold), while his ambitious, beautiful and vain sister Eudoxia wants the elixir of immortality Saloninus hinted at in one of his famous works, while Saloninus wants only to get away, or so we are led to believe...
Of course things are much more complicated and there are layers of meaning and past happenings that are only slowly and exquisitely unraveled but the first lines are just superb:
"...In the morning I discovered the secret of changing base metal into gold. In the afternoon I murdered my wife"
Of course Saloninus is a self-confessed unreliable narrator...
Just awesome
As longer novels go, I am still on page 60 from Kraken, though I am half into Spring Heeled Jack the Marc Hodder "steam opera" debut, but the latter after a great start became a novel that does not really know what it wants to achieve, switching between modern but "historical" Victoriana - which is somewhat of a misnomer since in its alt hist universe the Queen has been assassinated in 1840 and now it's 1861, but with the same paraphernalia/realistic stuff (Lazarus Club, Meaning of Night, even Drood) and steampunk Victoriana (Bookman, Affinity Bridge) with its inventions and sense of wonder and a little over the top action/characters; so far the balance has not been achieved and I find it occasionally hard to suspend disbelief; the writing is good enough though so I will finish it and hope it will either achieve balance or settle into one mode