Reading in November!

Quicksilver.

Finally finished it; had to snatch the time to do it. It's like a 'Cryptonomicon' set in the 1600-1700s. In one way, it's an account of the development of 'the scientific method' that surpassed 'alchemy'. In another, it is about the ferment that went on during that period, with social and political changes not to mention the pushing back of frontiers as European peoples established colonies in the New World.

The story of the main protagonists occurs in that millieu which Stephenson feels the need to explain. It is very much a book for the science geeks to the extent that Stephenson has instigated The Metaweb a wiki (comunal encyclopedia) for those wishing to delve further into the background of the times.

While it is the sort of book I really enjoyed, I'm not sure how it will go with the rest of the reading audience. I'll say this though: if you enjoyed 'The Cryptonomicon', you'll like 'Quicksilver'.
 
I'll say this though: if you enjoyed 'The Cryptonomicon', you'll like 'Quicksilver'.

Although if you thought Cryptonomicon was just barely on the edge of being too long, geeky and rambly, be aware that Quicksilver takes all of those qualities (well, long and rambly anyway) to a new level and doesn' t give a lot of payoff in terms of plot events.

I loved Cryptonomicon... at least a few things happen in Cryptonomicon... :rolleyes:
 
Fair comment. I didn't find it to be a problem as he throws in interesting nuggets of information (well interesting to me anyway) in his ramblings. Plus, I like his slightly dry writing style. For example, in 'Cryptonomicon' where he writes about Capt'n Crunch(?) eating techniques - not even remotely necessary to the story but enjoyable nonetheless.

'Quicksilver' has me interested in the history of the 1600-1700s which probably says something about the geek I am, the quality of Stephenson's writing or both!
 
Funnily enough, I didn't enjoy Cryptonomicon, though I am enjoying Quicksilver, even at its glacial pace.

Could take on Jordan in the Fantasy Forum for 'things not happening'...though I'm still reading (and enjoying!) Stephenson. :)

That and Ilium, which is brilliant, simply brilliant, even if I'm not getting all the references! :)

Hobbit
 
I don't think I could ever enjoy a book with a name as complicated as that Hobbit!

I just thought I would say that I finished Iain Banks' The Player of Games' and it was wonderful! I did figure out what was going on a bit too early, but it was still a bit of a moral dilemma and I still don't know what to think of the culture. I shall just have to read more of them!
 
Begrudgingly I have re-started the Silmarillian by Tolkein. Have promised myself to finish it by Christmas...good luck!

Earlier in the month...read David Eddings, The Elder Gods. IMO it is a waste of your money, even if you have been a die-hard Eddings fan like myself. Very disappointing.
 
I forgot. In addition to Hominids and Humans, I read Altered Carbon by whats-his-name. :p

It was pretty great, if a bit dark. Definately not a book I think I will give my daughter to read anytime soon.
 
I finished over the holiday break:

Hand of Prophecy by Severna Park. It was her second novel and set in the same universe, though with different characters than her first. I liked the story much better and felt it had a purpose, which the first book lacked.

Most of it took place in a gladiator type of sporting establishment, and it seemed to me to be the perfect synthesis of past and future in movie terms. I kept seeing the book in terms of movie visuals, and I never do that. The story was not something however that Hollywood would be able to deal with, unless they changed it all around. I hope she visits this world again.

I also finished the omnibus At The Edge of Space by CJ Cherryh. I preferred the first story Brothers of Earth simply because it was more accessible and had an intimate setting. It was one of her first books, and is only 245 pages long. It does complete the story arc, but there are still details to be wrapped up when she ends it.

I was very much reminded of both Madame Butterfly, and the novel Shogun by James Clavell with the story and the culture in the story. It is easy to see where her other complex, eastern flavored societies came from (though she says the main influence was Roman).

Hunter of Worlds the second story was also very good, but was very frustrating to me. She not only invents new cultures and aliens, but she tells much of the story using the important concepts and nouns from two alien languages. There is a glossary at the end, but I hate flipping back and forth, and you have the words and concepts in both singular, plural and in some cases male and female cases. This story is also only about 240 pages long, and ends with details still to be wrapped up.

Now finishing Written in Bones a non-fiction book I got from the library that is a survey of about 38 case studies from prehistory to 1700's of bones/burials using forensic archaeology to find out about their lives and their deaths by examining the bones and their context. Very interesting if a little superficial, and uneven. Each case is written by a different person, with the whole book having an overall editor.
 
Leiali,
You might want to have a look at Banks' essay on the C
Culture, if you haven't already. It's available at various sites including this.
 
Just completed J.G. Ballard's The Drought (1966), a particularly haunting piece of work by one of the true talents in the field of 'disaster SF'.

Whilst the 'science' element in this SF tale appears highly implausible (a micro coating of some unknown substance prevents the earth's oceans from releasing water vapour into the atmosphere - thus depriving the world of rain), Ballard's adroit dissection of the human psyche in extremis is a thought-provoking read.

The message here is simple: when faced with distressing and disorientating surroundings, even the noblest of human beings must ultimately revert to animalistic savagery.

Packed full of symbolism and baroque imagery, The Drought is an expertly written literary delight. Probably not of the same standard as The Drowned World or The Crystal World, this novel still presents the reader with a stark reminder of how utterly fragile ‘humanity’ can be.
 
Thanks Soon Lee! I have had a look, but will have to switch my brain into top gear as it is heavy going!

I have started reading a very cheesy space opera, by Catherine Asaro. I feel a bit ashamed to admit it, but it is good fun. Moons Shadow. I like the plot ideas, and have read a couple of others in the series. But I must admit the writing style is not very sophisticated and is often stilted. Still, having fun with it anyway!
 
Back
Top