Reading in Science Fiction, March 2021

But then the ending - I was pretty disappointed overall; not a lot of payoff for such a big lead in, and we don't really find out exactly what the mountain is for.
Got through the first 30 pages or so then lost interest quickly. Once again, it sounds like Adam can't finish stories - something I've felt with pretty much every book of his I've read. :(
 
Once again, it sounds like Adam can't finish stories - something I've felt with pretty much every book of his I've read. :(
Yeah it's definitely become a bit of a trait. I've found some were OK, don't remember others, but there's been a number I've thought were average.

Which is a shame because I think he's a great writer, just struggles to get the whole story together well, especially recently. I love some of his older novels, will have to re-read sometime to see if I still feel the same.
 
Once again, it sounds like Adam can't finish stories - something I've felt with pretty much every book of his I've read. :(
Yes, but the joy of the journey is what you get with Adam Roberts. Admittedly it can be bumpy in places. Very few SF writers from any era can hold a candle to him for versatility, prose or dialogue, even if they can end a book. ;)
 
We shall sing a song into the deep by Andrew Kelly Stewart.

The last nuclear sub with the world's last missile cruises under the ocean, crewed by an order of monks. They are waiting many years for the chance to launch this missile.

But one of the post apocalyptic monks has a secret
 
Back
Top