Hi. I'm working on my first scifi-fantasy book and I have some questions I would love to get some feedback on. They are pretty random so just answer what you want to.
1. My character is on a sort of epic hero quest and comes in contact with populations of beings that do not speak his language. I am trying to write dialogue. This is difficult. I am writing things that I can pronounce but I have no idea how anyone else would read them. Does it even matter? He is supposed to learn things from them and them from him, but i feel like i am writing an essay and not a story at points and know it is bad. i tried to get a translator as well as having them communicate through drawing, etc. any ideas?
2. How important is background to you when you read a story. My story is basically a fantasy type story but science related in the fact that it occurs in a different reality. There is not much science in the plot of the book, but the formation of the world that makes it possible relies heavily on it. I have figured it all out, but it is complex hard science fiction that i dont feel really goes with the rest of the story and a lot of people reading it will just not care at all about it. How much of this should be included in the book, and should it be at the beginning or slowly brought up at different times, although i dont want to write crappy dialogue because of it. any opinions would be great.
3. Is it important to give away all the secrets in the book. Or can you imply some things without saying them if you feel they will not ruin the readers enjoyment depending on if they interpret it correctly or not. In my story, for instance, the character is looking for his father and he meets a character that the reader is supposed to believe is his father. it is never said, so i'm not lying to them. it is actually implied, more subtly, that this character is actually himself from a previous time. im sure this doesnt make any sense outside the context of the story. basically, is it ok to trick the reader intentionally but never let them know they were tricked and save it for the 2% that think they actually figured it out?
4. A very simple (althought not that simple) question. How do you feel about chapters. Should they be roughly the same length? Should they end at definite places (such as every major scene change) or should they have cliffhangers? If you have only a few chapters (10) in a long book (100,000 words), is it better to make the chapters "books" and ad chapters to each book?
Thanks. I'm new on here and I hope I get some responses. ANything at all would be useful to me. Just trying to feel around and pick up some ideas and opinions.
1. My character is on a sort of epic hero quest and comes in contact with populations of beings that do not speak his language. I am trying to write dialogue. This is difficult. I am writing things that I can pronounce but I have no idea how anyone else would read them. Does it even matter? He is supposed to learn things from them and them from him, but i feel like i am writing an essay and not a story at points and know it is bad. i tried to get a translator as well as having them communicate through drawing, etc. any ideas?
2. How important is background to you when you read a story. My story is basically a fantasy type story but science related in the fact that it occurs in a different reality. There is not much science in the plot of the book, but the formation of the world that makes it possible relies heavily on it. I have figured it all out, but it is complex hard science fiction that i dont feel really goes with the rest of the story and a lot of people reading it will just not care at all about it. How much of this should be included in the book, and should it be at the beginning or slowly brought up at different times, although i dont want to write crappy dialogue because of it. any opinions would be great.
3. Is it important to give away all the secrets in the book. Or can you imply some things without saying them if you feel they will not ruin the readers enjoyment depending on if they interpret it correctly or not. In my story, for instance, the character is looking for his father and he meets a character that the reader is supposed to believe is his father. it is never said, so i'm not lying to them. it is actually implied, more subtly, that this character is actually himself from a previous time. im sure this doesnt make any sense outside the context of the story. basically, is it ok to trick the reader intentionally but never let them know they were tricked and save it for the 2% that think they actually figured it out?
4. A very simple (althought not that simple) question. How do you feel about chapters. Should they be roughly the same length? Should they end at definite places (such as every major scene change) or should they have cliffhangers? If you have only a few chapters (10) in a long book (100,000 words), is it better to make the chapters "books" and ad chapters to each book?
Thanks. I'm new on here and I hope I get some responses. ANything at all would be useful to me. Just trying to feel around and pick up some ideas and opinions.
Last edited:

