Sports Fantasy Books

ArtNJ

Registered User
Joined
Nov 21, 2010
Messages
1,240
The baseball-focused time travel novel "If I Never Get Back" by Darrel Brock is truly excellent.

Anything else that you guys like that fits in this narrow genre?

Also, its been a while since I read "If I Never Get Back". If you have a better recollection, let me know if its appropriate for a 9 year old full on sports nut.
 
I figured there wasn't a lot out there, and that most of what there is will be YA, but I'm still surprised not to hear of others.

Anyway, I do recommend If I Never Get Back very highly if you like baseball. The time travel is mostly just the hook to get us back in that era, but the washed up baseball player gets a second chance during the early days of baseball story is charming and very interesting to baseball fans since its backed by quality research into the early era of baseball. Its not a YA book, and I can't recall if its suitable for younger readers, but at a minimum those that like baseball should love it. Actually think the appeal is much broader than that, I hardly ever watch baseball games anymore -- its just a charming & authentic time travel story that uses baseball as the setting.
 
R.A. Salvatore had a short story about baseball in the fantasy anthology Unfettered. I'm not sure what elements of fantasy the story had though, if any. The name of the short story is The Coach with Big Teeth.
 
I haven't read it but I hear good things about Michael Bishop's Brittle Innings.
 
Back
Top