Top 5 Favorite Authors!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hemingway
  • Start date Start date
Le Guin is a better writer than Hobb, but maybe Hobb has written stories that some wish Le Guin would have written, only she hasn't... but one might still enjoy Hobb for not so different reasons. (At least I once thought they were considered to be writing fantasy of a related kind - I never got around to find out, but I didn't know Hobb had such a disastrous reputation...)
 
Last edited:
I don't assume that. I do assume that the majority of those who write primarily to entertain, in the way a TV sitcom entertains (and there have been writers doing just that for at least a couple of centuries), show a higher probability of dropping out of sight.

Currently we continue to have translations of works by Homer, Aristophanes, Chaucer (Old English isn't an easy read for most of us, so, yes, translations), Cervantes, Mallory, Flaubert, Balzac, Dostoyevski, Tolstoy, and dozens of others on the bookshelves; we also continue to see editions of Austen, the Brontes, Dickens, Hemingway, Faulkner, and so on, still on the stands. They are not there solely because of curiculums. A few years ago publishers noticed just how well the classics were selling. Not enough to get on best-sellers lists, but a lot and with the low overhead (the majority out of copyright and so free for the pickin' by any publisher so inclined), profitable. Someone is reading them, not just students.



You miss my point: We have precedent that writers who are too bound to their times tend to drop out of sight. Writers who have something to say that cuts across generations are less likely to, at least not for some time. And, of course, it's more complicated than that: Agatha Christie is quite time-bound, but we find her work quaint and fun even so, and adaptations by other media keeps her work in sight. Meanwhile, interest in Hemingway's work goes up and down like a yo-yo, one decade admiring it, another decade tsk-tsking his limitations. Faulkner, on the other hand, started slowly, gained cachet with the Nobel and is now considered not just an American author, but a world author, influencial on the development of the literatures of countries than his own in much the same way as James Joyce.

Randy M.

Not to keep hijacking the thread for which I am sorry to a large extent, but sometimes cultural arrogance gets to me badly, I agree with all you said about the authors above, but I did not notice any sff names and my point was about such first and foremost; all the names mentioned actually tend to satisfy my criterion of "written a while ago, selling today" means the likelihood is they will still be read tomorrow, which is the only legitimate semi-objective way of measuring literary quality imho.
 
My List

These are my favorite fantasy authors in no order whatsoever:

Matthew Woodring Stover- Can't get enough Caine.

Steven Erikson - Had trouble getting past the first book for 2 years. Once I finished the first book, it took me another year and a half to get past the first few pages of the second book. A month ago I picked it up after reading the thread about bad ass warriors in books. I'm currently reading Midnight Tides and can't put the books down.

R. Scott Bakker - Couldn't stop reading

Joe Abercrombie - The Bloody Nine!

George R. R. Martin - I really don't want him on the list, I just can't think of another set of books that I can't stop re-reading.
 
Not to keep hijacking the thread for which I am sorry to a large extent, but sometimes cultural arrogance gets to me badly, I agree with all you said about the authors above, but I did not notice any sff names and my point was about such first and foremost; all the names mentioned actually tend to satisfy my criterion of "written a while ago, selling today" means the likelihood is they will still be read tomorrow, which is the only legitimate semi-objective way of measuring literary quality imho.

Okay, but what applies to the broader literary world may also apply to the narrower one of SFF. Probably, looking above, writers like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, G. K. Chesterton, Dorothy L. Sayers and Georges Simenon might be closer parallels. (In other words, writers of popular fiction rather than 'literary' fiction, in this case, detective and crime fiction. Ian Fleming, too, perhaps less for the quality of his writing than for the massive popularity of his works adapted to other genres -- one could also argue that's been behind the longevity of Dracula.)

But SFF is relatively new so there's been somewhat less time to see what will develop -- s.f. in particular is primarily a 20th century genre. Authors who have shown legs so far include precursors like Mary Shelley (if only for one novel) and Robert Louis Stevenson (one novel and a selection of short stories), and forefathers like Jules Verne and H. G. Wells. Broaden that a bit to include various types of fantasy and note that M. R. James, Ambrose Bierce, Arthur Machen, Algernon Blackwood and H. Rider Haggard seem to stay in print, if sometimes just barely, while E. R. Eddison, William Morris, David Lindsay and William Hope Hodgson will seem to teeter on the cusp of oblivion then suddenly gain a surge of attention.

More recent authors who seem well along the path toward enduring include H. P. Lovecraft (the surge of fame for this pulp writer in my lifetime is nothing short of astonishing), J. R. R. Tolkein, Mervyn Peake, Jorge Luis Borges and Shirley Jackson. Some names that look to be at least tenuously along the path include Robert Heinlein, Fritz Leiber, Robert Aickman (if only as a delicacy for a relatively small group of ... er ... connoisseurs), Isaac Asimov and Sir Arthur C. Clarke. In the U.S. we don't hear a lot of the Strugatsky brothers any more (I'm sure I've misspelled that badly) but I believe they are doing fine in countries less resistant to translations, and Stanislaw Lem is still, I believe, considered a major writer in Europe.

I'm also certain there are others I'm just not thinking of.


Randy M.
 
Last edited:
Okay, but what applies to the broader literary world may also apply to the narrower one of SFF. Probably, looking above, writers like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, G. K. Chesterton, Dorothy L. Sayers and Georges Simenon might be closer parallels. (In other words, writers of popular fiction rather than 'literary' fiction, in this case, detective and crime fiction. Ian Fleming, too, perhaps less for the quality of his writing than for the massive popularity of his works adapted to other genres -- one could also argue that's been behind the longevity of Dracula.)

Another balanced and well reasoned post with which i agree to a large extent (maybe not all the names) and I wish people would argue this well when throwing around lists of so called sff masterpieces from the past from mostly authors that are obscure today or at best unproven that they "have the legs"...

Though usually HG Wells, HR Haggard or Jules Verne who are probably the most popular of the names here from the more relatively distant past are rarely mentioned except as "forerunners"; one reason maybe that they (especially Verne and Haggard though Wells to a large extent too) are typical of the "age of sf is 12" writers, but despite the datedeness of a lot of their stuff, they are still entertaining for children

I also completely agree with the "newness" of sf as a genre
 
The only problem I have with the "complexity"-argument for determining objective quality put forth by owlcroft in this discussion is how to explain aesthetic qualities with complexity and that there can be high complexity with very little substance. That's why I would argue for traditional, hackneyed terms like "depth", "brilliance" and perhaps interchange "complexity" with something like "authenticity" or "aptness" (since a convincing picture allows for complex interpretations, even if it's of simple appearance). And a bit of allowance for the possibilty to err or have different perspectives is always fine. That said, and exact definitions of complexity as well as conflicting positions in this thread aside, I find the linked, more theoretical discussion very convincing and unproblematic. (I think there can also be problems with limiting greatness to longevity.)

Edit:
BTW, my attempt to work around "complexity" is probably nonsense. The secret seems to lie in the combination of depth with (potential) complexity (potential as in having a far reach if no varied pastiche), so that one doesn't get too distracted by some surface complexity. Just wanted to mention that because the discussion seems to be otherwise avoided.
 
Last edited:
In response to earlier post, five favorites do not mean the five best. This list is only a list of personal preference at best.

I’m almost intimidated to list my top five. I’m sure my list will come under some form of scrutiny. Having said that, I could care less what cannon a book was shot from, I read for pleasure and escapism. So here it goes…

1.Paul Davies
2.Stephen R. Donaldson
3.Tad Williams
4.Robert McCammon
5.Richard Laymon (A very guilty pleasure)
6.John Brunner
7.Isaac Asimov (I love the robot books)
8.Jack Vance
9.C.J Cherryh
10.George R.R. Martin

I had to list my top 10, five just didn’t cut it for me.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top