What's your single favourite SF book since 2000?

I had to think about this one for a while. It'd be easy if this was a fantasy question- Deathly Hallows and The Gathering Storm in a tie, but there have been quite a few SF novels I've enjoyed and it's hard to pick a single favourite.

I guess I'd choose Hominids by R.J. Sawyer, closely followed by Wool, To Say Nothing of the Dog, and Cryoburn.

As a bonus- my favourite short story is an easy pick- it's The Algorithms for Love, by Ken Liu
 
How can you have 1633 without 1632 and 1634: The Baltic War?

psik

I liked 1632 sure, but 1633 is much better imho (1632 is fairly standard modern people to the past adventure, but 1633 and 1634 the Baltic War offer the series the world building necessary to raise it to the next level and actually 1633 was the breakthrough novel that propelled the series to the tens of volumes of today - if you include the Gazettes there are probably 60+ volumes, if not 20+); 1634 The Baltic war is close to 1633 but after that the quality becomes quite uneven and I stopped reading most 163* books outside of the main line
 
Last edited:
Since 2000? Difficult. I'd probably put the front-runners down as:

Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds (2000)
Look to Windward by Iain M. Banks (2000)
Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle (2000)
Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan (2002)
The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (2002)
Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton (2004)
River of Gods by Ian McDonald (2004)
Blindsight by Peter Watts (2006)
Brasyl by Ian McDonald (2007)
The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (2007)
Black Man (aka Thirteen) by Richard Morgan (2007)
House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds (2008)
Yellow Blue Tibia by Adam Roberts (2009)
Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (2009)
The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi (2010)
New Model Army by Adam Roberts (2010)
The Dervish House by Ian McDonald (2010)
Zoo City by Lauren Beukes (2010)
By Light Alone by Adam Roberts (2011)
The Islanders by Christopher Priest (2011)
Embassytown by China Mieville (2011)
Jack Glass by Adam Roberts (2012)
2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson (2012)
Dark Eden by Chris Beckett (2012)
Existence by David Brin (2012)
The Adjacent by Christopher Priest (2013)

However, I think my #1 pick has to be The Separation by Christopher Priest, released in 2002.
 
This is a good question Ropie. It actually got me thinking quite hard about some of the books I've read and why they've stayed with me. I consulted my list of books read (yes, I have a list, which I realise sounds a bit eccentric...), and was quite surprised by how much of the SF I've read in the last few years has been pre-2000.

Thinking on this I suppose it is down to there still being a great deal of "older" SF that I want to read and that appeals to me more than some newer works. In ten years time I'll probably be catching up on all my 2000 reading!

Getting back to the OP, I've got four that I think are about equal for me. Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan I really enjoyed, and I found the whole story engaging, with some memorable scenes. Scalzi's Old Man's War was a great read, and felt his approach to interstellar war was interesting and thought provoking. Neal Asher's The Line of Polity was a very fun read with plenty of action with some good scenes for me.
Lastly, and perhaps, PERHAPS shading the rest, is Peter F. Hamilton's Fallen Dragon. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy was my first real introduction into the genre and it remains one of my all time favourite series. For me Fallen Dragon encapsulated a lot of that 'epicness' and was a great space opera in its own right that had great characters and plot.

(Oh, I'll also approve of Use of Weapons as one of my all-time greats. Between that and Left Hand of Darkness for me).
 
Off topic, but the Use of Weapons mentions are forcing me to bring up my all time favorite joke in a book. For those of us who read Use of Weapons the joke involves a gift, I'm sure you remember it. Funniest thing ever. Had me giggling and sniggering for a few minutes. I kept trying to read on, but was incapable of it.
 
I haven't read as much Sci Fi as most of you but here are my favorites since 2000

Gridlinked- Neal Asher
Look to Winward- Iain M Banks
Laviathan Wakes- James S.A. Corey
Altered Carbon- Richard K. Morgan

Its funny I would probably say my favorite is Altered Carbon out of the bunch, but it is my least favorite series compared to the other 3. Also since i am still kind of new to the genre always looking for recommendations similar to these...but that is a topic for other threads on this forum.
 
A lot of love for Altered Carbon. I should pick it up next time I'm in a bookshop (almost have a few times).

T(yes, I have a list, which I realise sounds a bit eccentric...)
Don't worry, you're not alone - there's a whole thread about our book lists from a few years back!

(Oh, I'll also approve of Use of Weapons as one of my all-time greats. Between that and Left Hand of Darkness for me).
LHOD is right up there in my all-time greats.

However, I think my #1 pick has to be The Separation by Christopher Priest, released in 2002.
Great list and final choice (IMO) :cool:
 
Last edited:
This may be cheating since the individual books themselves came out before 2000, but Myst Reader, which is a collection of all 3 books in the Myst series. And, yes, they relate to, and come before, the game. Diamonds in the rough, all of them.

Otherwise, my favorite would be "Sofia" by my friend Sander F. It is a short story and an excellent, inspirational read.
 
Last edited:
My #1 would have to be Blindsight by Peter Watts.

suciul mentioned Use of Weapons as his obvious choice... well I love Banks' work, Surface Detail was one of my favorites, but I do have UoW on the shelf. I'll have to go ahead and read that and see if it is as good as I hear (hope!).
 
Wow, I've read like... 3 SF books that have come out since 2000 so this thread is gonna be a fantastic resource for me. I'm pretty new here, but I always check these forums for recommendations and you guys never disappoint!
 
Wow, such a lot of great reading this century
Altered Carbon
The Lost Fleet Series
The Windup Girl by Paulo Bacigalupi
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
The Scar by CM
The City And The City by CM
Chasm City by Alistair Reynolds
Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge
The Speed of Dark by Nicola Griffiths
The Unincorporated Man by The Kollias (?) Bros (must get round to the sequels)
Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie
Coyote and Coyote Rising by Allen Steele (Frontier was a definite drop off imo)

Best I can do is narrow it down to 3
Altered Carbon
Chasm City
The Unincorporated Man

Cheers
Lee
 
I was excited to pick Altered Carbon since no one had in the first few posts, but then it got caught. I actually like the second book the best, I forget its name? And I'll also go with Ghost Brigade, the sequel to Old Man's War as my other favorite in the new crop of books.

I wanted to mention I thought it was awesome that when someone mentioned a book older than 2000, you clarified by specifying 2000 AD. :D
 
The first 3 books in David Weber's Safehold series.
Hugh Howey's Wool Omnibus.
Peter Hamilton's [/i]The Night's Dawn Trilogy[/i].
Paul Levinson's The Plot to Save Socrates.
 
Looking back at my reading list I'm discovering that I've read relatively few books published since 2000. I guess this is a consequence of my reading being driven by an urge to get broad exposure to the genre, rather than get in tune with current trends. I suppose I need to correct that.

I'll go with Anathem. I was very impressed with it.

The City and the City is my runner-up, but it's a distant second. I wanted to go with A Deepness in the Sky, but that was published in 1999.

I deeply loathed Altered Carbon. I couldn't finish it. Just goes to show we're not all after the same thing in our SF!
 
It's a tie for me. Surface Detail and House of Suns are the two I always think about.
 
I'll go with:

Anathem - Neal Stephenson

Runners-up:

Surface Detail - Iain M Banks

Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan

The City and The City - China Mieville
 
My #1 would have to be Blindsight by Peter Watts.

Could you give some reasons why this is your favorite SF since 2000? I have Blindsight and Starfish, and I'm getting myself pumped up to read some Peter Watts.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top