Tom Kalbfus
Registered User
- Joined
- Aug 27, 2009
- Messages
- 30
No one mentioned Operation Chaos by Poul Anderson, that is definitely a fantasy novel set in an alternate world during World War II.
No one mentioned Operation Chaos by Poul Anderson, that is definitely a fantasy novel set in an alternate world during World War II.
Daniel Fox – Dragon in Chains – alternate feudal China, a nautical tale
Harry Turtledove is the king of alternate history. A lot of his novels and series have no fantastical elements and are alternate history SF. But a few do as he also writes fantasy, and are alternative history fantasy. The man is far too prolific for me to sort them all out, but if you know of a particular one that is fantasy, put it up.
Traci Slatton -- Immortal -- Renaissance Italy
Paul Park -- Roumania series -- alternate 18th century Europe where alchemy works
Daniel Fox in his "real name" persona has one crusade
Outside of the long-lived main character Immortal is straight hist fiction and sadly only so-so, wasting a great premise
What about Robert Harris thriller Fatherland? Set in a post WWII that never happened. One where the allies did a deal with the Nazis and Hitler is still running the Fatherland.
Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead - great read... an Irish monk is kidnapped/enslaved by Vikings while on his way to deliver the Book of Kells to Constantinople. No magic or fantasy ideas, here... just a cool ride through 7th century Europe.. and a fit ending for the hero/protagonist. It's long, but well worth it.
Oh no! Lawhead had written loads before Hood. I think he did an Arthurian trilogy and I also enjoyed one he did about the Crusades, which given it's tendency to talk about the power of religious artifacts belongs on this thread.I had no idea he had that. I've only read Hood and Scarlet by him. I'm waiting for Tuck to come out in paperback. I was under the impression that Hood was his first novel. Guess I was wrong!
But, as noted earlier, he did tie those to "the real world" by means of a theory--whacko, but that's an author's prerogative--that every eleven thousand years or so, the Earth undergoes some major transformation (I dimly recall something like it inverting in orbit, the north pole becoming the south and vice-versa, but the exact mechanism is not critical) that wreaked major havoc and destroyed civilizations, typically including their historical records. If, again, I recall correctly, I believe a good part (or all) of the magic in his "Drenai" world ultimately turned out to be powered by an orbital satellite.
While in the realm of fairy tale fantasy, Patricia C. Wrede's Snow White and Rose Red is set in Elizabethan England.
Quite interesting that you bring that up=) As it turns out astronomers, the ancient Mayans, merlin and other ancient oracles all hint that this will happen 21 of december 2012. Something about the earth being in a straight alignment to the center of the Milkyway. Incidentally, this happens once every 12000 years=)
Just a sidenote.
We have probably got some ancient Mayan, Aztec, etc. fantasies around somewhere, so if anyone wants to bring those up, feel free.