Takoren
Mistress of the Snark
- Joined
- May 28, 2007
- Messages
- 1,098
This.For me, portal fantasy usually requires a bit more connection between our world and the fantasy world than simply "the main character is transported between the two at the start of the series".[/SPOILER]
One could call the series I'm reading now (Acts of Caine by Matthew Stover) a portal fantasy, but it's not a case of a random person being pulled into a fantasy world because just because. For that matter, The Dark Tower series is definitely portal fantasy, but again, it's plot-relevant, not just "kids get pulled into fantasy world", in this case the idea of other worlds (and their nexus) is the reason for the series existence.
Compare The Fionavar Tapestry, which has five random University students pulled into a fantasy world, and discovering that they were "always meant to be there", and it's all ever so mysterious. Gimme a break. (My apologies to people who like that series; I really thought it was bad.)
For that matter, what makes me put a book back on the bookstore shelf isn't just the mere idea of a portal fantasy but any plot description like "Fifteen year old Anthony couldn't stomach the idea of spending the summer in Aunt Georgia's quaint little cottage, but when he discovers a mysterious doorway in the attic..." or anything along those lines. Davis, I'm certain that's not what you're writing.
By the way, am I wrong or are you the same person as Radone from back in the old days?

