AlexIsNotARobot
Registered User
- Joined
- Oct 16, 2015
- Messages
- 63
A Darker Shade of Magic by Victoria Schwab (kind of, sort of)
This one is on my tbr!
A Darker Shade of Magic by Victoria Schwab (kind of, sort of)
This one is on my tbr!
Me too. I think this one'll be next after I finish my current book.
I concur with the above. I want fantasy characters to have hokey fantasy names. That's part of the fun. At least in historical fiction they hav anachronistic and unfamiliar names. 'Mike' just doesn't work for me...
One of the things that doesn't work for me in the book is that the world is, in many ways, presented as a secondary fantasy world but is actually a post-apocalyptic version of our own world with magic.
I'm not keen on the term "urban fantasy" or "steampunk" I mean what the hell does it really mean? I don't really like Vampire/werewolf books, and yes ESPECIALLY Twilight! Although i'm in no way tarring them all with that particular brush. Some books with "magic portals" aren't that bad, let's not invent another sub category by calling them Portal fantasy. If a book is set in our world, so be it, as long as it's a good read. I've just started the Dresden files and i'm liking them so far, and one of my favourite books ever, is Gaiman's Neverwhere. I find that if I enjoy the book as a whole, I can forgive a portal or two.
I'd argue that urban fantasy covers all contemporary fantasy....
Besides, the term "contemporary fantasy" can be confusing, since it can also be used to describe fantasy stories written in contemporary times.
I'm not keen on the term "urban fantasy" or "steampunk" I mean what the hell does it really mean? I don't really like Vampire/werewolf books, and yes ESPECIALLY Twilight! Although i'm in no way tarring them all with that particular brush. Some books with "magic portals" aren't that bad, let's not invent another sub category by calling them Portal fantasy. If a book is set in our world, so be it, as long as it's a good read. I've just started the Dresden files and i'm liking them so far, and one of my favourite books ever, is Gaiman's Neverwhere. I find that if I enjoy the book as a whole, I can forgive a portal or two.
Or else possibly something like Mike Carey, Phil Rickman, Sergei Lukyanenko, or Charlie Huston might appeal to you, or something from the horror side of fantasy.
I'm not usually a fan of the big Urban Fantasy series like the Iron Druid Chronicles or others in which magical or fantastic beasts are no longer in the shadows and humor seems to be a big part of those series. Mostly I read secondary world fantasy or science fiction. However, I have recently enjoyed a few contemporary fantasy novels like The Library at Mount Char and Nightwise. And of course Neverwhere is a old favorite.
Can anyone recommend novels or series set on Earth during a recent time period where magic is still mysterious and frightening and is not the norm. Where running into a demon/vampire/werewolf/ghost by the normal human is VERY abnormal. And where the main character isn't constantly cracking wise or otherwise forcing humor into the story?
Thanks
The wisecracking that is common in contemporary fantasy comes from the fact that these series and books are suspense thrillers and murder mysteries, and so they share the (somewhat but not exclusively American) noir wisecracking gumshoe style.
But besides what is recommended here so far, for hidden supernatural and more dramatic, you might try some of the following: