May / June 2016 Short Story Contest

R.J.

No masters
Joined
Apr 30, 2010
Messages
2,329
(You saw this one coming from a mile ahead, @kennychaffin )

The theme for the SFFWorld May/June 2016 short story competition (also known as SMJSSC16) kind of grew out of a short conversation on these very boards.
In that conversation I professed my love for all things heavy metal - the music genre - and thinking about it, the words “heavy metal” can mean wildly different things to different people. Some may think of the magazine with its sexualized fantasy art; others may think of engines or vehicles or, you know, various metals that weight a lot… so I thought, hey, “heavy metal” as a prompt should be general enough to get those creative juices flowing.

(If you'd like to delve a little deeper into the music side of things, in search of inspiration, try googling "heavy metal + fantasy"). There's even a Heavy Mithril-trope.)

Gah, it’s hard not to gush about the finer aspects of metal (the music), though. I am deeply passionate about the art form. I believe that’s how I ended up putting a reference to a metal band, song, or album in all my entries here. And in other stuff as well.
Ahem. Anyway!

Good luck to all who dare enter, MTL4LIFE yadayada

\m/ \m/

THEME: HEAVY METAL
WORD COUNT LIMIT: 5000 Words
DEADLINE: June 30th

If you are new to the contests, here's a general outline of what to do:

1) Think of a story idea that includes speculative fiction elements (fantasy, science fiction, horror elements) and fits the theme stated above
2) Write story
3) Edit story
4) Post story in the Stories sub-forum. (Use these guidelines to title your thread so it is easy for folks to find your entry.)
5) Come back here and let us know that you posted your story and provide a link to that story (makes it easier for me to find your story when it comes time to vote).
6) Read the other entries and offer comments that help the writer both know what they did right and what they did wrong (in your humble opinion)
7) Vote when the voting poll goes up

The winner takes over the next contest and has the honor of picking its theme.

CONTEST GUIDELINES:

PG-13 - generally, the forum restricts its contents to what would be acceptable at the PG-13 rating. However, we are lenient for creative purposes in the writing forum. Please warn readers if your story contains adult situations.
Once you post your contest entry, we discourage writers from altering the original text submitted. While it may be okay to change a few typos here and there, please do not revise your piece substantially. If you would like to respond to feedback, you are encouraged to post your revision within the thread (but not the original post).
Please refrain from voting for your own story.
 
J.R.R. Tolkien himself was also heavily influenced by metal. Countless metal bands provided names for his Middle-earth, bands like Gorgoroth, Isengard, Cirith Gorgor, Minas Morgul, Mordor, Sauron, Amon Amarth, Burzum, Ephel Duath, Lugburz, Morgoth, Nazgûl, etc. (or was it the other way around?)
 
There is (of course) a subgenre where playing slow as snails is the main draw, and of course super heavy. Consider Catacombs, who are the aural equivalent of the elder gods slumbering in the abyss (no coincidence that their debut album is called In the Depths of R'lyeh).
I wanted to add a YouTube link here but I could not accomplish this by phone (while trying to put two boys to bed)

Yeah the Chthulu mythos is also a big thing in metal, rivalled only by TOLKIEN. Name any of the weird monstrosities of Lovecraft and it's a metal band.
 
NOT my Entry, but ran across it as I'm editing things......can't help myself....but it does include heavy metal. :D

I've removed this link temporarily for reasons I'll explain elsewhere...
 
Last edited:
I wasn't planning on writing for anything aside from the flash/micro fiction contests but... oh my. Heavy Metal certainly resonates with me (pun certainly intended).
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top