When I first made this thread I actually got lost in all the things I wanted to say about the topic. Fortunately I realized I wasn't here to convert anyone to my religion*, and so ended up scrapping 1,500 words of total metal worship (I also realized I would probably love to write a book about my life with metal; and
then realized there are tons of metal books out there already).
Wait, May 20th already and I'm still thinking and not writing
Anyone started?
*I do not actually pray to metal. Although it
has been helpful from time to time...mmm. Must ponder.
ANYway if you're interested in using the music angle to the "heavy metal" topic (still not required), and you need some inspiration or something to kickstart you, try out the
Metal Archives, which aims to gather data on all the metal bands in the world. Seriously, they have more than 100,000 bands there. Anyway, on the main page there's a 'Random Band'-button, can be used almost like story cubes. Warning: While most bands are probably offensive to someone (if only for the fact they're metal), the Archives gathers
everything and that includes bands with the sickest, most hideous artwork, lyrics, titles, etc. While you won't be showered in huge disturbing images or anything, I thought it is fair warning. There's also a 0.003% chance you find one of my old (inoffensive) bands hehe \m/
Fair Warning is, of course, also a metal band. Oh, and Warning is a band, too. "Fair" is still up for grabs I believe. Warning, a UK doom metal band (=heavy + sad) have some simple but haunting and evocative lyrics IMO, here's a favorite verse of mine:
It's always frightened me how some things lose their meaning
How some things change direction with a breeze
Don't ask me where I am, I am trying to come home
But I can't keep myself from drifting
Aaaand now I'm going to spend my time a bit more efficiently, to the sound of Bal-Sagoth's amazing
The Dreamer in the Catacombs of Ur. Loud!!1