Current Non-Genre Reading III

Before returning to Christian Cameron's Long War series, I decided to brush up on Greek Myths, their gods and lesser immortals to be specific. What I settled on is Stephen Fry's Mythos: The Greek Myths Reimagined, book 1. The various stories are told with wit and humor. I wasn't sure if I'd take to Fry's approach, but was won over early on. The book doesn't include all it might have, but doesn't short-sheet what it chooses to include. There are two further books in the series, with a fourth to come.
 
At 1909 this evening I concluded an initial read of Edward Marston's The Railway Detective, first in a long series of like-themed books. I've no idea how this compares with other Detective/Crime/Mystery novels, as it's a genre that doesn't normally tempt me. As you might suspect, what drew me to this particular title is its British Steam-era Railway connection. That's something I can sink my teeth into (though I rarely wear them while reading).

What shocks me is discovering, after-the-fact, that the book was not, as I had assumed, first published long ago, but is instead relatively recent, with a 2004 publication date!

A solid, enjoyable read, but not read-of-the-year material.
 
I enjoyed The Railway Detective and others in the series it is a historical fiction book set in the age of steam railroad corporations each controlling their piece of a lucrative pie. I think I liked the lost luggage porter the most of the series and the first in the series.
 
Started the Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden, whose books featuring Julius Caesar I've read a few of and enjoyed very much. This series is about the Mongol Empire and the great khans of the 13th and 14th centuries, a period of history I know little of except for what I've seen on film. Anyway, I'm 100 pages into Wolf of the Plains and the early life of Genghis Khan and I'm liking it so far. Like Cameron's books, it's about real people and real events but is historical fiction.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Raf
Started the Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden, whose books featuring Julius Caesar I've read a few of and enjoyed very much. This series is about the Mongol Empire and the great khans of the 13th and 14th centuries, a period of history I know little of except for what I've seen on film. Anyway, I'm 100 pages into Wolf of the Plains and the early life of Genghis Khan and I'm liking it so far. Like Cameron's books, it's about real people and real events but is historical fiction.

AC, I see the Iggulden has a new Athenian historical fiction series chronicling Sparta, Thermopylae & the Battle of Plataea...though it seems to feature "Pericles" as the eventual hero. I'm somewhat interested in this, but...

I've never read any of Iggulden's material. Given that I just finished Cameron's "Long War" series? Do you think the writing styles would be too similar to enjoy another Athenian chronicle so close on the heels of the last one?
 
Well, from what I recall of the Julius Caesar novels and from reading this current one, they're third person rather than the first person Cameron uses. Also, this one is much more story-like than Cameron, which I like, and would suggest the two versions would be different enough. However, covering the same topic so soon after reading one version of it would put me off, and is why having read Cornwell's Grail Quest series I decided to skip Cameron's Chivalry series. Having said that, they're sure to come from different angles and could be completely different in style and tone. I guess the best thing is to try one and go from there, Raf.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Raf
Wolf of the Plains

0007233922.jpg


This is the first in the Conqueror series by the author and covers the early, formative years of Genghis Khan. Apparently, there is only one major source for his life and this story is mostly derived from it - as is the 2007 film Mongol which contains some scenes that are also in this book. Because of a similarity with others, some of the characters have been renamed to prevent confusion. Place names are few and remain pretty much irrelevant in this nomadic society.

As for the story, I really enjoyed it. It is told in a very story-like manner that is quite different to The Long War series by Christian Cameron. By this, I mean to say that it is mostly a tale; a tale of a 12 year-old boy called Temujin who is cast out of his tribe (along with his family) after his warlord father dies. It is also a tale of survival and revenge that becomes the story of Temujin’s early rise to power, his recognition of the political strategy of Chin (China) to set the nomadic tribes against one another, and ultimately his vision to unite the Mongol tribes as a single power. As historical fiction goes it is very readable, and I am looking forward to the next in the series
 
  • Like
Reactions: Raf
Started a re-read of M.M. Kaye's " The Far Pavilions". I read this novel back in the late 70's / early 80's and it has been a long time favorite. But I've never (until now) attempted a re-read. Its a beast of a book at nearly 1000 pages

Will it stand the test of time? Will let you know.
 
Started a re-read of M.M. Kaye's " The Far Pavilions". I read this novel back in the late 70's / early 80's and it has been a long time favorite. But I've never (until now) attempted a re-read. Its a beast of a book at nearly 1000 pages

Will it stand the test of time? Will let you know.

I vaguely recall the TV series from many years ago but have never read the book. It sounds like a seriously massive tome so good luck with it, Raf! A book I have a very fond memory of is How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn, which I'll try to track down a copy of, methinks.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Raf
Lords of the Bow

81kLOiIFmIL.jpg


This, the second in the Conqueror series, relates Genghis Khan’s foray into what is now China. With his army of united Mongol tribes, he crosses the desert then breeches the Great Wall to invade Xi Xia. After gaining the siege technology to break the walled cities, he sweeps through the Chin empire, defeating a huge army at a pass through the mountains and arrives outside the impregnable city of the emperor (modern day Beijing).

Told mainly from the viewpoints of Genghis and his brothers, this is an epic story of the near irresistible might of the Mongol horde, who were always outnumbered by the huge Chin armies yet managed to prevail time and time again. The viewpoints of the Chin leaders are also included, and a sub-story follows one of Genghis’s brothers on a mission to bring back someone with knowledge of siege warfare. Overall, Lords of the Bow was another good read that builds on the first book’s story of Genghis’s early years, then proceeds to set him up as being the conqueror for which he is now known. Also, the historical events, though significant and sometimes brutal, do not overshadow the lives of the individual characters and the balance is pretty good. However, the history of the people, place and period is what draws me in most of all and I am eagerly looking forward to the next book, in which I suspect Genghis will turn his gaze to the west.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Raf
I love Foucault's Pendulum (I've read it twice) so I have always wanted to try Umberto Eco's first novel, The Name of the Rose, which seems to have a great reputation. I read it earlier this month and although I enjoyed the atmosphere it created - largely through his excellent prose - there was far too much text-book-style historical information given.. chapters and chapters of it. I can imagine a lot of people would enjoy that but it wasn't for me. It just interrupted the flow of the main story, and I ended up skimming over a lot of it, which meant I didn't fully engage with the novel.
 
Last edited:
At 1955 this evening, I concluded an initial read of Edward Marston's The Excursion Train, book two in his The Railway Detective series. Railways/trains play a less front-and-center role in this entry, a minus for me. Too, early on I felt that its mainstay protagonists were possibly becoming a bit typecast. However, as the story progressed this ceased to be a concern. Though the crime/detective genre is not one I am drawn to, I find this book, like its predecessor, a solid, entertaining read.

I've not yet decided what to tackle next. Possibly The Secret Life of Groceries, which sounded so intriguing to me when a BookTuber I sometimes watch discussed it that I purchased it for my Kindle on-the-fly as the episode continued to play in the background. Will I like it? We shall see. This sort of thing is right up my alley, though it's an alley I seldom venture down (in literature).
 
Reading a set of Peter James novels at the moment and another ‘Grace’ story is on ITV (UK) tonight.
 
Reading The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis.
It is the first of a series about Marcus Didius Falco, a detective/informer/investigator in Imperial Rome circa AD 70. Chock full of detail about the streets of Rome and the empire, it is the obvious intent of the author to emesh the reader in the nitty gritty of the time.
The mystery is interesting but seemingly a mechanism to - as described above - interest the reader in Ancient Rome, not the battles, but the hoi polloi. And also in the characters, who I understand continue through the series.
And it succeeds. There are 19 sequels o_O which I will probably dip into.
SilverPigs.jpg

edit: Finished it. Unfortunately the author decided to make Falco less than totally competent. He survives slavery in Britain but almost fails in his investigation through momentary incompetence.
Of interest to some readers might be his sojourn in Britain which is depicted as being inhabited by benighted barbarians with weather that only those of such low level could possibly endure.
 
Last edited:
The Bones of the Hills

51+e9G6lKFL.jpg


After his campaign in what is now China, Genghis sends armies of 10,000 far and wide. Along the way they battle Afghan tribes and even an army of Russian crusaders on its way to the Holy Land, but after envoys sent to the distant west are executed by one of the Shah of Khwarazm’s relatives, Genghis moves his armies west to the Arab lands.

What follows is a partly fictionalised account of the Mongol campaign against the Shah’s huge army, the jihadist army later raised by the Shah’s son, and the destruction of the Assassins’ strongholds. My own reading into the history of this period casts further light on the bloody campaign this turned out to be, with entire cities levelled to the ground and the citizens put to the sword if they refused to submit immediately or reneged on a previous submission, such as the 160,000 slaughtered after the siege of Herat. Despite the vast numbers who died as a result of the Mongol invasion (between 2 and 15 million it has been estimated) and hard though it is to accept, one 17th century Muslim scholar wrote that under Genghis Khan’s reign…

…all the country between Iran and the land of the Turks enjoyed such a peace that a man might have journeyed from sunrise to sunset with a golden platter on his head without suffering the least violence from anyone.

There is no doubt that Genghis was a ruthless leader and this comes through in the book. What also comes through is that he viewed his actions as being necessary to quell discontent and not to satisfy any sadistic pleasure. As a result, Genghis does not come across as a likeable character, but given his record it was probably the right view for Iggulden to take in this book. He tells it how it was without glamourising it. For me, Bones of the Hills was another good read; the battles were done well, and I appreciated the historical insight I gained from reading it. I have the next two books in the series lined up which cover the rule of Genghis's son, Ogedai, and grandson, Kublai Khan, but I'll have a break from the Mongol hordes before reading them.
 
I vaguely recall the TV series from many years ago but have never read the book. It sounds like a seriously massive tome so good luck with it, Raf! A book I have a very fond memory of is How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn, which I'll try to track down a copy of, methinks.

Still plugging away at it. And really enjoying it....again, lol. I looked up the HBO Mini-series. 1984....must have totally missed that one. Looks like it might be available on Amazon. Will give it a look once I finish.
 
Started a re-read of M.M. Kaye's " The Far Pavilions". I read this novel back in the late 70's / early 80's and it has been a long time favorite. But I've never (until now) attempted a re-read. Its a beast of a book at nearly 1000 pages

Will it stand the test of time? Will let you know.

It always amazes me how much you forget over the years. Beyond a vague story outline, I remembered very little of the details. And it was joy to experience the book all over again.

Unlike "Lucifer's Hammer", another recent re-read and a feeling that it was showing it's age. Probably because I've lived through the years from that book's initial publishing and now. A good historical novel removes from your time and puts you in another.

I originally read "The Far Pavilions" during my Michener, Clavell, Rutherford binge years in the 80's. It looked like another huge, meaty book of that type. And it is, but for all it's length in words, it still only covers about 10 years of the British rule in India and its military attempts in Afghanistan.

Ashton Pelham-Martyn was born to a British linguist / Botanist / Explorer on the trail. His mother dies in childbirth, leaving him to be raised by his father and his Hindu bearers and scouts. He then loses his father and all of the party to a cholera outbreak. Before he dies, Ashton's father tells "Sita" (Ashton's Nanny) to take him and a letter of introduction to the nearest fort and leave him with his uncle.

Unfortunately, the Sepoy Uprising has begun and all personnel at the fort have been killed. Beginning Ashton's time as "Ashok". An indian boy in the care of his mother, Sita. Living hand to mouth in the slums and working as a stable boy and eventually ending up in the service of a Indian princeling and his household. And his first meeting with An-Juli-Bai.

Soon the politics of the palace place Ashok and his mother in dire circumstances forcing them to run yet again. His mother perishes on the trail and Ashok eventually presents his letter introduction to an associate of his late father. Beginning his sojourn and education in Britain. To eventually take him back to India as a young Lieutenant in Corps of Guides. A renowned Unit on the Norther Frontier.

In some respects, this is a love story. It is also a story about a man of two worlds and how he cannot embrace either world to the extent of full acceptance in either culture. And it is a deep, deep delve into multiple cultures and their own succinct views on war, race, religion, honor... and colonialism.

I've barely tapped the story here. It is a long story, but it uses those pages well and puts the reader right there in 1800's India. Just a really outstanding read.
 
Last edited:
Over the weekend I finished Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee. Based on the Scopes trial in the 1920s, it is still depressingly relevant.

Also finished a collection of essays by Richard Russo, The Destiny Thief: Essays on Writing, Writers and Life:. Russo is very good at presenting his subject somewhat obliquely then leading you along to follow his reasoning. His examples pulled from his own life are invariably entertaining. What surprised me a little was how at times he sounded like a somewhat upscale Stephen King. His family background shares some similarities in terms of class and upbringing, I think, which grounds what he says in everyday life. Of particular interest for young and beginning writers, I think, is the longest essay, "Getting Good."
 
At 1950 this evening, I concluded in initial read of Ursula K. Le Guin's Lavinia, a novel inspired by the last some books of Virgil's Aeneid, chronicling much of the life of one of the that work's minor characters, the women Aeneas takes as wife soon after he and his fellow Trojan refugees arrive in what is now Italy. A well written, solid read. I think my favorite part might be the portentous 'shade' Lavinia meets several times at around the 21-22% mark, just prior to the Trojan arrival. That was really well told, it seems to me.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top