Dresden Files

What do you expect, you are Canadian. Besides, have you seen how Stover talks about his guns?

Exactly, Canadian... There's a reason why most American parents won't let their kids watch hockey, you know. I could kick all your asses if I knew how to fight.

As for the other thing... *gulp*

(I forgot).
 
We actually have a policy here that negative personal comments about authors or other members are not allowed
.

Besides the Goodkind forum...we are afterall, only human.
 
Small reminder -- this thread is about the Dresden Files, folks, let's move back to that. We can trash Scott in his own forum. :)
 
Well..

I read the first Dresden novel, and I was pleasantly susprised. I knew that it'd be a alright book, but, I really did enjoy it. The plot in this book was overly complicated, and their wasnt any huge susprises. But, from what I heard, the series definitely heats up.

Looking forward to the rest. :)
 
Just had to resurrect this thread just a bit. Just finished the new one "White Night" and like all the others in the series I loved it. The action is there as always as is Harry's humor. There were a few doors left open and can't wait to see what Butcher does with them. For a series that has nine books in it now I can say that this one hasn't dissapointed me yet. Now I probably only have a year to wait for the next one. I really hate the fact that I can read so quickly.
 
I just recently read the first one in this series. I wanted to read book two but the bookstores around here don't have any but the newest one. I have to wait until I order books online again, but I always tend to spend more money than I set out, so I am holding off. Overall, it was an interesting read. I am glad to hear that the series retains its appeal. :)
 
I've been reading the Dresden books off and on over the past three months. Since they're so good, IMO, and easy to read, I went through the first five books without reading anything else. I want this series to last so I took a break in between books six and seven.

What I like the most about this series is the sheer amount of supernatural stuff. When you think you've seen it all, Butcher throws in something else.
 
Really looking forward to reading White Night, I've got a bit of a back log of books at the moment (including a couple given as gifts - so I have to read them), so I'm having to wait a few weeks (maybe a bit more as one of the books is the epic looking Glass Books of the Dream Eaters).

I'm wondering, having watched the TV, if it'll effect my preceptions of the characters - how I see and hear them in my minds eye.

I love the books, I started reading them a couple of years ago and ended up reading the first 6 in a row. I think the development of the characters, the world and the story have been fantastic - the theory that Dresden came up with at the end of Dead Beat is quite exciting.
 
I'm wondering, having watched the TV, if it'll effect my preceptions of the characters - how I see and hear them in my minds eye. I

I hurried and started reading the series before the TV show started and I'm glad I did. Not that I think the TV version is bad. IMO, it just doesn't live up to the books.
 
I've only read the first three in the series, and I think in this case, visualizing the actors will add to my future reading. Hey, more Paul Blackthorne is good! ;)
 
I was given the first book for my birthday and after completing the first series of the show I can say I hear the actor's voices in my head.

I did throughly enjoy the book, the Bob in the book is much more lively than the tv-show.

It was a nice simple read that I didn't have to analyse too much or feel I was getting bogged down in. Now I just have to find the rest of them ;)
 
I just ordered the first three books of the series and I hope that they are as good as the majority seem to consider them to be. My expectations are high.
 
Seems the latest books is quite hard to get hold of in the UK... knew I should have pre-ordered it from Amazon.co.uk!

Not I can only seem to find it used or selling on ebay for £20! Seems the series has improved the profile of the books.
 
I've only read one, but it was great. I got bored with the T.V. show. The book was so much better.
 
I adore this series. It's one of the few where each book is better than the last. And Jim Butcher is a super nice guy, so I'm happy he's having so much success. I haven't watched the television show (no time), but that's what Tivo is for. :)
 
Ohh!! How many books are out in US and UK?

the first one has just been out in France.... I might start on that once i am finished with my to read list (which is huge :D )
 
Well I never! I just read through this thread to see if anyone shared my opinion of the first book, and got more than I expected :).

I think that my gripe with it is one which Ficus Fan covered in 2004 or something, but I would like to elaborate. Ficus Fan mentioned that further on in the series, the plot threads thicken, Harry is in the midst having to save the day etc. since this seemed to me to be happening in the first book stretching Harry and his abilities a bit thin, I wonder how much more a couple of days in his life can pack in. I realise that as the main protagonist and a powerful wizard he has some stamina but....

who can withstand lightning, concussion, bullets, scorpion stings - and working all weekend without sleep. Not even the hardiest mortal imo

I also had trouble with the writing style which seemed unpolished, raw even. And the summing up every few chapters of what was happening and how crazy it all was, well it seemed pointless and distracting from the pace. And Harry seems a caricature, not realistically drawn; James Stewart in Harvey, rather than Humphrey Bogart in the Maltese Falcon.

I borrowed the book from a staunch fan of the series, and will disappoint her when I say no thanks to the rest, but the clever mixing of magic and noir isn't enough for me.
 
And the other thing I forgot to mention was if our PI is so skint all the time, why doesn't he use public transport? What's wrong with the trains, buses etc in Chicago? Or walking?! A petty point I know, but having had the privilege of a car for less than a year, but still using public transport regularly, I can't say I have much sympathy for someone who has a taxi waiting for them - and on a meter. It must be a cultural thing :)
 
And the other thing I forgot to mention was if our PI is so skint all the time, why doesn't he use public transport? What's wrong with the trains, buses etc in Chicago? Or walking?! A petty point I know, but having had the privilege of a car for less than a year, but still using public transport regularly, I can't say I have much sympathy for someone who has a taxi waiting for them - and on a meter. It must be a cultural thing :)

I can hazard a guess on this one, although I've only read the first two books. From what I've gathered, wizards have a negative effect on technology just by their presence. He likely avoids public transportation in order to not cause issues for others. Trains and buses would tend to break down if he rode on them, leaving a lot of people stranded. He's your classic nice guy (at least so far as I've read) and probably wouldn't want to be responsible for that. As for walking, if I remember correctly, he does end up doing a good deal of that.

As for my impression of the books, I like them. They are nice, easy reads with enough personality to keep me interested. I appreciate the underdog feel of the main character (hope that doesn't change, as reported by others), the quirky humor and the mix of magic and modern day. The writing itself ranges from mediocre to inspired, but as with any beginning author I expect that will level out to pretty good over time. No offense to Mr. Butcher intended, of course.
 
Back
Top