Dresden Files

I thought Blackthorne was great as Harry. I also wasn't thrilled about Bob, but I understood that they felt the need to have a person in the role for Blackthorne to play against, rather than just a talking skull most of the time. So instead of a spirit, he was a ghost and his backstory wasn't too bad.

What I didn't like was that not only did they rewrite the stories -- which did need to be simplified in number of plotlines for some of them -- but they also changed Harry's background and they changed the whole mythology. Instead of vampires being what they were in the series, vampires just became standard vampires, and so on. They kept the essence -- noir detective who uses magic -- which is fun, but not exactly new to t.v. or anywhere else -- and threw out most of the rest, even though it was perfectly easy to follow. So it could have been any series, really.

I still watched it, though, and thought they were getting better, but it didn't last.
I think Butcher himself explained to fans that the TV shows and the books weren't totally related and in ways took place in different universes. It was explained much better in the article I read. I think it may have been on wikipedia. I didn't mind Bob, I could understand the necessity for doing it that way, in fact a friend who had never read the books said Bob was his favourite character. What I did have problems with was Murphy. I didn't see why they had to turn a petite blonde cop with an Irish background into a Hispanic brunette of average height who also happened to have a young child from a previous relationship.
 
My guess would be because they really liked that actress. And I did think she was good, even if not blonde. She got the essence of Murphy down and had good chemistry with Blackstone.

They're turning the Anita Blake series from Laurell K. Hamilton into a t.v. series. Heh, that will be interesting.

So how is the newest Dresden book?
 
I gave up on the Anita Blake's when the sex became more important than the story. Anita had turned into a nymphomaniac and I really think the books should be in the soft porn section now. I can't imagine that they can film them very well. What they do with the Sookie Stackhouse's in True Blood is about as far as I can see them going with a TV show.
Small Favor, the last Dresden I read was great. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but a lot of old favourites return. I don't think he's ever had that many recurring characters in the one book before, it's also the biggest Dresden on page count, too.
 
The newest one comes out tomorrow actually, and is called Turn Coat. I believe from what I have read that Morgan plays a central role in this one.
I'll be at the bookstore first thing:)
 
I've read the first five book of the Dresden Files so far. I wouldn't call myself a big fan of them, but they're enjoyable and I'll pick up the next one at some time.
I found the fifth one to be my favorite so far. I liked how the secondary story arc wasn't connected to the main one, which they've been in the first books. I also liked the main villain(s) and especially how the final showdown turned out.

I'm really hoping for more of the same in the next one.
 
I've pick up this series just a few week ago because of all the good reviews on this thread. Really enjoying it so far, its a nice change of pace from the usually fantasy I read.

I'm currently halfway done Grave Peril. Just wonder if I were to start watching the TV series if it would ruin or spoil anything from the books for me.
 
The new Dresden book Turn Coat is number one on the NYT bestsellers list! It's nice to see a fantasy book other than Twilight or a Harry Potter book on the list. Kudos to Jim Butcher. I really enjoyed this one and am already eagerly awaiting the next. Can't wait to see what First Lord's Fury from the Codex Alera does this Nov.
 
The new Dresden book Turn Coat is number one on the NYT bestsellers list! It's nice to see a fantasy book other than Twilight or a Harry Potter book on the list. Kudos to Jim Butcher. I really enjoyed this one and am already eagerly awaiting the next. Can't wait to see what First Lord's Fury from the Codex Alera does this Nov.

Pretty impressive. Reading the book at the moment and quite enjoying it - but then I alwasy enjoy reading about Harry Dresden.
 
Nice to see Jim Butcher make the top of the NYT list. The books deserve it for their sheer fun factor.

It's worth noting, though, that it's actually quite common for popular genre books to make the list. Many many good authors don't rise to anywhere close to so exalted a sales position, of course, but I don't think we're any more out in the cold than any other genre on that score. "Urban fantasy" in particular is doing well on the list these days, with Harris, Harrison, Hamilton [bleh], etc all showing strongly. Several epic authors also still do well. Number 1, which I assume is what you're talking about specifically, not so much, though it still does happen occasionally to books that are not written by Rowling or Meyer. So yeah, it's nice to see.

And, as long as Butcher is in the number 1 slot, no Twilight novel can occupy it. So I can be happy.
________
Body science
 
Last edited:
Kmgrey Wrote:
NYT actually has a separate YA list which is where Twilight dwells.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten. Wasn't it created when Harry Potter was growing up, partially in response to Rowling's success? I'm not sure I'm big on the separation.
________
Honda nsr500 specifications
 
Last edited:
Just finished reading Turn Coat and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Very nice to hear Butcher is on the NY Times Bestsellers list. :)
 
Hippokrene Wrote:
The Host, which is Stephanie Meyer's latest book, is number 3 on the NYT Bestseller List.

Yes, yes it is. And it has been there consistently in the upper slots of the list for months. I actually don't think it's ever dropped off at all, since its publication in May last year. Really quite amazing.

Edit: But we were talking about Harry Dresden. This may have been mentioned upthread, but I noticed whilst browsing one of my favourite genre review blogs, [A Dribble of Ink, to be precise], that Butcher has sold a Dresden-specific short story collection. It will apparently contain both old and new tales, [though how the man has the time to write them is beyond me], and is expected in autumn 2010. It currently has no title.

And now, if you'll excuse me, ... must stay away from Turn Coat spoilers.
________
LAND ROVER DEFENDER SPECIFICATIONS
 
Last edited:
Yes, yes it is. And it has been there consistently in the upper slots of the list for months. I actually don't think it's ever dropped off at all, since its publication in May last year. Really quite amazing.

*checks* You're right! It came out in May of last year. That's awesome; way to go Stephenie.

Yet another reason I scratch my head when people ask if speculative fiction will ever go mainstream.
 
The Host, which is Stephanie Meyer's latest book, is number 3 on the NYT Bestseller List.

Right, because that one is published as an adult novel so it is included on the Normal Fiction list. The Twilight series books are included on the Series Books section of their Children's Lists.
 
Edit: But we were talking about Harry Dresden. This may have been mentioned upthread, but I noticed whilst browsing one of my favourite genre review blogs, [A Dribble of Ink, to be precise], that Butcher has sold a Dresden-specific short story collection. It will apparently contain both old and new tales, [though how the man has the time to write them is beyond me], and is expected in autumn 2010. It currently has no title.

And now, if you'll excuse me, ... must stay away from Turn Coat spoilers.
I can guestimate the stories to be included:
Backup a novella published last year by Subterranean Press
His entry in the recent Mean Streets 4-story anthology
His entry in a vampire-themed anthology from a couple of years ago.

I recently passed Storm Front along to my mother who (let the cliche begin) doesn't really read fantasy and she loved the book. Can't wait to get more. Good thing for her Mother's Day and her birthday is 'round the corner. Now I just need to convince my wife to read them....
 
I can guestimate the stories to be included:
Backup a novella published last year by Subterranean Press
His entry in the recent Mean Streets 4-story anthology
His entry in a vampire-themed anthology from a couple of years ago.

Wikipedia has a list of the Dresden short stories. In addition to Backup there is:

Short stories

* "Restoration of Faith" (short story)
* "Publicity and Advertising" (vignette)
* "Something Borrowed" (short story), published in My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (October 3, 2006, ISBN 0-312-34360-4)
* "It's My Birthday, Too" (short story), published in Many Bloody Returns (September 4, 2007, ISBN 978-0-441-01522-1)
* "Heorot" (short story), published in My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon (December 26, 2007, ISBN 978-0312375041)
* "Harry's Day Off" (short story), published in Blood Lite (October 21, 2008, ISBN 1-4165-6783-6)[9]
* "The Warrior" (short story), published in Mean Streets (January 6, 2009, ISBN 978-0451462497)[10]

Upcoming:

* Untitled short story, to be published in Strange Brew

The first two are available on Butcher's website and the rest are in the applicable anthologies.
 
Looking forward to the short story collection, read the two available on his site - they are really short if memory serves me. The one he used to as a sample for publishers interest if quite good.

I've read and enjoyed backup, but none of the others.

Dresden is a great character, wish the TV show had done him more justice.
 
Back
Top