Dresden Files

I've only recently come into the Dresden Files. Started reading them early last year, but i love the books. I especialy love the continuity throughout the series. I've just finished Proven Guilty and am about to start White Knight. I have to keep myself from reading the last few pages :/
 
Damn is this series entertaining. I just finished book 7, Dead Beat. I know I'm behind a bit, but I think I like it that way. I like knowing I've got a few more to tide me over and don't want to devour them although that isn't an easy thing to actually put into practice!

Anyway, the scene where Harry is trying to drum up some courage in Butters (and he has to be named after the South Park character) made me laugh out loud:

"Thomas is too pretty to die, I'm to stubborn to die. ... And dammit, Butters, Oktoberfest is tomorrow and Polka will never die!"

"Say it Butters!"
"Polka will never die."
"SAY IT BUTTERS!"
"POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!"

or where Harry

rides a re-animated Tyrannosaurus Rex!
 
Well, shoot, I'd sort of put the series on hold after reading several because I had a lot of other stuff to read, but I may have to start it up again.
 
Question: I found Storm Front to be an awfully trite book with a sexist portrayal of women and way too much deus ex machina going on. I have a friend who insists they get better, but his taste in fiction is rather juvenile in my opinion. Do they get better or can I expect more of the same?
 
I'm currently reading Dresden, quite loving the series. Just finished book 9.

Anyways, I have a question about someone that is mentioned in Summer Knight... Dresden talks about a Spenser when he's describing Mab's ass. Who is this Spenser? Haven't seen any mention of him at all during the rest of the series. Is he simply talking about Spenser from the detective novel series by Robert B. Parker?
 
In the late 16th century, Edmund Spenser wrote a very famous, incomplete poem called "The Faerie Queene", which is why Harry is referencing him.
 
Last edited:
In the late 16th century, Edmund Spenser wrote a very famous, incomplete poem called "The Faerie Queene", which is why Harry is referencing him.
Great, thanks for the tip. It's been driving me nuts.
 
Question: I found Storm Front to be an awfully trite book with a sexist portrayal of women and way too much deus ex machina going on. I have a friend who insists they get better, but his taste in fiction is rather juvenile in my opinion. Do they get better or can I expect more of the same?

It will probably disappoint you, but Storm Front is one of the best books in the series. You are right that the Dresden files is somewhat juvenile, especially in its cardboard depiction of characters like Michael and the relationship between Harry Dresden and Karrin Murphy. But these weaknesses are compensated for by the coolness of the main character, the humour, the interesting crime stories and the depiction of the relationship between Harry and the magical characters. You are also right, that there are too many deus ex machina moments in the Dresden Files. This is somewhat disappointing considering that Jim Butcher has proved in his Codex Alera series that he is able to let his heroes find viable and logical solutions to overcome their opponents.
 
Just finished Turn Coat... I read through the 11 books during the last 3 weeks or so... quite a fast pace for me, so you can tell that I really enjoyed them. It really had the right mixture of elements that are perfect for me... interesting characters, good overall plot, good character interaction, lots of humor, great action, and a good pace.

Next on the series, Changes, looks like it's coming out in April. Here's the cover:
jimbutcherchanges.jpg


One thing I miss is the usage of potions... he went away from it after the first 3 books. Though I didn't like how he used the potions to fit the plot of a particular book, I would've thought that he could still incorporate the usage of potions in a better manner. For example, would it be so bad for him to be always carrying that potion he used during Fool Moon that kinda replenished his energy for a chunk of time? I don't know, seems like something cool and useful to have handy at all times.

Anyways, enjoying the series so far. Looking forward to the continuation.
 
Can't wait! I have my pre-order in at Amazon. It'll show up in my Kindle sometime that day, I suppose. I haven't done a pre-order on Kindle yet.

I'm not going to read the sample chapters because then I'd just have to start over on the day.
 
Can't wait! I have my pre-order in at Amazon. It'll show up in my Kindle sometime that day, I suppose. I haven't done a pre-order on Kindle yet.

I'm not going to read the sample chapters because then I'd just have to start over on the day.
Dresden reads so fast that you shouldn't have a problem doing it.
 
And I was pleased to see that on the UK hardback edition there's a quote from SFFWorld.

Don't know about the US edition though: haven't seen it yet.

Mark
 
And I was pleased to see that on the UK hardback edition there's a quote from SFFWorld.

Don't know about the US edition though: haven't seen it yet.

Mark
Chapter 4 is up, and it's pretty awesome I think. Can't wait for the book to come.
 
Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this
completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed
by you or by our customer service department.

I'm ready. Who else is? And just noticed that the priced dropped to $9.99 (plus shipping), so nice surprise for me there.
 
Since there's an arguement over the eBook rights, my pre-order got cancelled. So I used my audible.com credit and bought a copy there. I've gotten to chapter 7 so far.

This one is going to be really interesting (in the Chinese curse sort of way). So far I love it.

Best thing about having it in audio format is I can listen to the book while I'm at work whereas I couldn't be reading. I bet I'll be done with the book this evening.
 
I read Changes already and I have to say it was one of the best ones so far if not the best outright. It brings in the vampire war, problems in the white council, family revelations,Mab, and a police investigation in a story about 1 big objective.
 
I read Changes already and I have to say it was one of the best ones so far if not the best outright. It brings in the vampire war, problems in the white council, family revelations,Mab, and a police investigation in a story about 1 big objective.

Finished CHANGES yesterday & gotta second Blind here, this book is possibly the best in the series, has quite a lot of plot twists which showcase far and wide consequences for Harry Dresden's future through his actions.

Mihir
 
I just finished it. Wow. I can't wait for the next one now. What in the world could happen after this?
 
Back
Top