Siberian Samuraii - I agree with what your saying, but although the bulk of the genre is epic/ss, there are numerous current authors who practice fantasy (and embrace being fantasy authors) that practice in similar fashion as the authors mentioned above - many of the being UK and U.s Authors.
We are talking about authors that embrace realism, and social, or political relevance, we are talking about not only people who have written a book, but are actual writers, authors like Jeff VanderMeer, China Mievlle, Jeffrey Ford, K.J Bishop, John M. Ford, Gene Wolfe, M. John Harrison, John Crowley, Tim Powers, Jonathan Carroll, Charles de Lint, Paul di Filippo, Catheynne M. Valente, Jay Lake, Ian R. Macleod, John C. Wright, Neil Gaiman, Vera Nazarian, Tim Pratt, Nick Mamatas, Michael Cisco, Brooks Hansen, Sean Stewart, Kelly Link, Matthww Rossi, Rhys Hughes, Chris Roberson, Michael Moorcock, JG Ballard, Steve Aylet, Geoff Ryman, Paul Witcover, Mattehw Stover (dozens, and dozens more) etc, etc
Your insinuation (forgive me if I am misreadeing you I'm going by this quote " I
don't care what anyone says, these books that you have reccommended do not correspond to the typical SS and epic titles available.") that only epic or S/S fantasy are actual fantasy in extremly inaccurate, it completely ignores sub-genres and movements like Slip Stream, New Weird, Urban Fantasy etc, etc, - although I agree with you they don't correspond with
typical, - only because they are well written. There are many fantasy authors who look at those names as some of the great fantasists ever. There is nothing more or less fantasy about them than Mervyn Peake, who is without question a fanatsy author, there is no difference fro mthen than Jonathan Swift's
Guliver's Travels, which also is unquestioanble a fantasy work - although neither are in thr epic, or S/S sub-genres.
Not being epic fantasy or SS fantasy doesn't constitute not being fantasy whether in english speaking countries or not, whether now or then. Like I said I am not talking about epic or SS titles, however I am still talking about fantasy. If you are looking for examples of fanatsy exclusive to those sub-genres of fantasy then I agree.
In any case, what I originally wanted to do was to first, establish recs from countries that are unusual from a somewhat ethnocentric viewpoint, but second, and perhaps more importantly, compare these stlyes from other countries to our own. How do they differ? Do other countries demonstrate more rigor with respect to the quality of fantasy, at least relative to our own. Lets have some comparisons if we can.
I'm honestly not, sure although I have examples of work from author of many different countries, I don't have enough to make a broad statement like that, I think the differentiation can be see more from publisher to publisher. Without question Small Beer Press, or Prime publishes a different brand of fantasy than we will see in a typical Del-Rey product, where Macmillan's big hits include off beat wonderful works by Jeff VanderMeer, China Mieville, Justina Robson, Ian. M. Banks, and Hal Duncan, Del-Rey's featured in its tired line up Terry Brooks, and the completely inept Robert Newcomb (although they run to authors like Mieville and Duncan when the market is set for later U.S releases). Where Tor's busy campaigning the latest (which no doubt like his first) effort from Robert Jordan, Golden Gryphon is pimping Jeffrey's Ford's January release of
Empire of Ice Cream. There is not question, no matter what the nationality of the author is, a
Dragonlance title..well, will be a
Dragonlance title, whatever that means to the individual ( I think they are hopelessly awful)
It's hard to say because I can name excellent works from the U.S. and a lot of awful ones, and I can say the same from other countries
- although I will agree that the U.S market probably allows for more opportunites for both excellent
and dire works to be able to see print. I also can name example of every style from each country, so I can't really see any difference (with a resoanable amount of examples) I know Banker is Indian for example but have no othe examples to compare if he is the nor there or not.
I think more importantly people are simply sick of the bad writing that has pervaded the genre
*raises hand*
Some are, but their are plenty of current authors to read for us (as noted above)!
