If you hate a book, why should you regard it as a classic? Perhaps you see some ancillary redeeming value. But how about you don't or not enough? Should you still consider it a classic? Why? Just because someone else thinks so? I do not understand why possessing one's own capacity to think rationally one cannot arrive at a conclusion at odds with the prevailing consensus. I prefer Jane Eyre myself but do try to appreciate why some think Wuthering Heights superior..
So,
individual personal opinion determines whether or not a piece of literature is considered a classic? Egotistical poppycock! There are pieces of literature that continue to be printed, continue to be read, and continue to be studied
long after the pieces were first written,
long after the authors are dead and buried. Those are classics, regardless of
individual personal opinion.
How many times have you read something in school that seemed like drudgery, but was required reading because it was a classic piece of literarture? If you personally dislike Shakespeare, does that make him any less a classic of the English language? Take care here, because Shakespeare was
hugely influential, and not just on literature, but on the English language in general. How many words, terms, and phrases recognisable by modern readers were first written down by the Bard?
I like Shakespeare's tragedies. I know some people don't like the tragedies, but like the comedies. Does that make the tragedies classics, or are the comedies classics instead? Whose opinion is
more correct?
Are you trying to say I cannot think on my own because I still consider things I don't
personally like as classics? Sorry, I'm not egotistical enough to think that my opinion is the
only opinion. Don't confuse pig-headedness, narrow-mindedness, or rampant egotism with intellectual free-thinking.
I see this going the same way as many other on-line discussions go. It's becoming less an intelligent debate and more of "my opinion must be right". Frankly, I'm sick of this attitude, and think it bodes ill for the apparent intellectual level of today's society.
And furthermore, I should spend more of my time writing and drawing. I can't waste anymore time going around in circles.