July 2015 Motivational Thread

You can join me in repeating this mantra: "My value is more than the sum of the words that come out of me. Words are thoughts, thoughts are fleeting. I am inherently valuable as a creature of this earth. Creatures must live, therefore I must live to write."

Remember the generations that survived without writing. And think, even if you could write the next "Harry Potter", would you want to? Or would you rather write something obscure and brilliant with a talented twist of the pen that dazzles the most avid of readers and criticalest of critics.
 
Last edited:
I've got maybe 6k words this month, so like Nila, my July has been pretty un-stellar. On the upside, I'm closing in on a finished short story for submission to a 'future war' anthology, and I'm really happy with how the story is working right now. I may submit it to the workshop, but it's a bit lengthy at 10k words, so we'll see.

I've got a convention to go to this week, and once August rolls around typically life settles back down for me, so I should be back to a normal routine next month.
 
I'm just trying to get my footing and begin to build some writing habits. I already have routines from when I'm working on graphic novels, now I'm just trying to see what skills and routines that I can transfer over to writing.
While I'm going back and forth with the editor over revisions for my dad's manuscript, I'm going to be brushing up on my writing by doing bursts of fiction everyday based on random writing prompts.
Although I eventually need to get back to a script I'm working on as well. Like I said, learning how to try to balance everything now.
 
Hi @Beth Wagner! Welcome to SFFWorld! And the writing forum more specifically :D . That's very cool that you're working on your father's manuscript. I hope I have kids who will do that for me someday!

I've also had the goal of finding a balance between multiple projects. I've had that over a year now (I think...) and continue to struggle with it. Not that you will have my troubles with it, but I understand trying to do all of those things. It's hard! And yet, rewarding too. So keep at it!
 
  • Spire City, season one wraps up by the end of the month, so get the remaining episodes to subscribers and prepare whatever I need to in advance to release the complete season bundle (that won't actually be released until late August, so not really a rush on it, except that I'll be traveling for all of early August)
  • Revise and polish "Language of Fish and Storms" (my short from the comp last Nov-Dec), and hopefully submit as well
  • Revise another short story I wrote last November (and submit?)
  • Go through a variety of other flash pieces, story starts, poems, etc., and decide which ones merit revising and submitting
  • Write one poem
  • Revise my story for the Ecotones anthology and get critiques
Goals all met, yay! Also got stuff set up for a Createspace POD version of Season One. I don't expect to sell a ton of those, but it's cool to have it available. And I did some other things to get ready for season two, which will be coming before I know it...

Oh yeah, and I entered in the micro contest here and read and commented on all entries.

And now to think about what I can expect to accomplish while traveling in August...
 
Final wordage, just a bit under 26k. Productivity slowed down after finishing that story sub, but I've had a good month overall. Hoping for two strong weeks at the start of August before my holiday begins.
 
I have 4 goals for the month:
  • Join Bodhi in keeping writers away from the darkside and spread peace, love and art.
  • Finish Draft 2 of the Pirate book.
  • Finish Halloween Book 1
  • Learn about the submission process for a novel, because I know jack squat.
I think I did fairly well this month. I don't know how well I did with what I hoped for out of the first one, and the last one is a continuing learning process--but I've at least started it and learned some good things!

What I did do and am most proud of from this last month is having finished both Draft 2 of the Pirate book with @J.D. Carelli and my individual Halloween Book 1. (JD and) I have gotten some reviews on both and we're making plans and taking action to fix things, though we are still waiting (happily and patiently!) for a few more reviews to come in.

All in all, it's been a good month for me. :)
 
Spent the start of July cruising the Caribbean and using quiet interludes to add a few pages to my next "Hobohemia" novel's first draft. Have returned and am back on the primary WIP again, hoping to push three more final draft chapters through my reading group.

Note to self. Next time state what three chapters. Well, I'm up to chapter eight completed with one chapter a week being run through those wonderful peeps in wePublish group. So far, great reception, so I'll call this month a somewhat ambiguous success.

Kerry
 
So...who's game to start a new thread for August?
Wait. It's August already? And, you mean I have to devise a new top secret plan to take over the--- a... a haha! Whoops. I mean, come up with new goals to accomplish?
 
Spent too much time in the last few days following the MH370 news. And looking for a new hamster. And trying to find stock image(s) for covers.

Condemned
is up to 58,000 words. I know roughly how it's going to end in another 15-20,000 words, but have no idea how to get there. Still trying to figure out whether the protagonist is too wimpy to be a hero, so I may need to 'man him up' a bit more.

Horror Movie
is at 46,000 words, but I mostly just cleaned up what I had and expanded it a bit. I need to figure out who else needs to get eaten before the end of the story for it to be consistent with the sequel.
 
Back
Top