July 2016 Motivation Thread

Yep! I think at least half of the short stories I've done have ended up much longer, or served as heavy inspiration for novel-length work. We do tend to write what we read.

Yep and I don't often read novels.....
Poetry, short stories (mainstream, sf, fantasy, etc.), flash, prose poetry....
 
Last edited:
Okay...let's see, what did I do yesterday...

Though I had all day to write, and I had my laptop on with various stories opened and staring at me waiting for me to do something, I didn't write very much.

I did discover that I needed to re-vamp one of my chapters. I need to completely re-write it, so I started on that and it is going okay.
 
@norm, I'm just throwing this out there, but if you want or need some outside perspective, the forum's workshop is pretty helpful place. Maybe we can help with some of the problems you are having. It's a stickied thread, but the link is also in my signature below.

I finally looked at The Naiad's Shadow again last night after a week away. I still want to take a break and work on something else and am thinking of taking another shot at book 2 of Red King, which I have some new ideas For after my first attempt last fall, but Naiad's Shadow is also starting to call to me again.
 
<whine mode ON>

Well.....with the exception of publishing my second collection Prosthetic Amalgams II, the month has gone to h*ll. I did complete one short story and one flash fiction (must have been a micro as well) but other than that I'm feeling completely unmotivated, few to zero new story ideas and the few ideas I've written down seem unworkable.

I've reviewed my completed poetry and with the exception of a handful of them, they simply suck.

I've tried working on 'in-progress' stories - drafts or uncompleted stories and have been unable to make any progress.

I'm really not sure what to do to pull myself out of this funk....

If I could only think of 'one true sentence' to start with maybe I could write again.

</whine mode OFF>
:(
 
eh. July can be summed up with *headdesk*.
Word count progress comes in at under 1000 words. Yes yes, I know research and such counts, but there have been so many missed opportunities to add words.:oops: Editing/revisiting is always slower. Worth it but ...*gnash teeth* ...

Glad to see some of you are making progress!:)
 
Ugh, oh god, okay.

I just got up to the lake, and am having trouble acclimatizing to the chaos. My goal this month is 15,000 words on my novel, which means 500 words a day. I've been averaging 1k lately, but right now the idea of getting a few hours of peace and quiet per day feels like a pipe dream. So, I dunno.

I'm also short 4,500 words from last month, so really my goal is more like 20k. Call that my "stretch goal". ;)

Team Headdesk! Woooo! :/

We're off for the weekend soon, so this is the end of my July. I fell massively short of 15k. Looks like the final total is 6650 for the month, and 22,000 words in the WIP so far.

This is mostly, but not exclusively, because I started July on vacation and spent the first two weeks of the month re-writing the first 15k from 3rd person into 1st. I didn't start laying down new wordcount until the 10th, and it was slower going than before. I'm starting to itch to go back, to revise. I have to rethink things. Insert new scenes. It's harder to bulldoze ahead at full speed.

Still, 22k. I have the first 6-7 chapters of a novel written. That's something, right?
 
@CharlotteAshley and @millymollymo -- words are still words. A writer's life isn't a 100 meter sprint. Individual stories might be, but the life is a marathon. Keep working at it and you will get there!

I found a little time to write Wenesday night, and I'm hoping for more this weekend. I worked on Red King book 2, which I haven't touched for most of the year, I think... I left a scene only half finished when I set it aside and the words just poured out on Wednesday. I know how to finish the scene, but it needs some edits to the first half from last year before too many new words can be added. Thankfully, I know just what to do. Now to find the time. :rolleyes:
 
  1. Read/review two books
  2. Enter the flash and maybe the micro contests
  3. Edit my map story and pass it onto to a few beta readers to tear apart
  4. Get back to my ghost stories
Okay - how did I do?

1 - CHECK! Got two books reviewed and posted.
2 - CHECK! New material is always fun to generate (even if they never sell)
3 - CHECK! The final came out okay. Very different from the initial draft, but much better for it. Thanks @Facing and @Andrew Leon Hudson!
4 - Dope! I instead went off on a tangent with my novel from last year. Not sure I'll get back to the ghost stories...

All in all, this was a fine month for me. I'm pleased with myself. I hope August is as productive.
 
Last edited:
July is a tough month. I think this is the first July EVER where I've managed to work. We travelled in June instead, and now the kids are bigger they don't want me hovering anyway, and it's easier to ignore them and say 'get your own darn snacks.' :D

Also, they now sleep in like teenagers (they're 12 and 13) which gives me lovely long mornings... ;)

So my two original goals were:
1. Finish and hand in a short story for an anthology – check.
2. NaNo a new wip, which I later switched to 'start revising older novel' after edit notes arrived – check. Nowhere near done, of course, but managing to stick to my self-imposed quota of 2 chapters a day, not that easy when some of the chapters are complete rewrites!

Roll on August...
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top