July 2016 Motivation Thread

I came back to my outline, the big problem I'd run into before, and I just talked it out. I was typing out the problem, and all of a sudden the solution just popped in there. Like it had always been there and I just had to let it simmer.

That's exactly why sometime you just need to get away from a story, work on something else, do something completely different. :D

Glad you got moving again.

P.S. Hemingway during his most productive time would write in the mornings and then put it out of his head by doing something completely different until the next day. He let his subconscious work on it through the evening and night. :)
 
I haven't been checking in. . .

I've been working on my 'map' story every day, although at a much slower pace than before. I'd told myself I'd need to work twice as much to get it finished by the end of the month, but it seems I'm working half as much; there are -quite literally- not enough hours in the day. I'm very, very busy. . .

I've long since finished the fun part; writing the rough draft in my notebook, coming up with all of the creative bits. I've transferred it all into my phone, now I'm slowly trying to stitch it all together into a coherent story, and finding a lot of problems along the way. . .

The way I piece a story together is like building a bridge from both ends at once, and hoping both sides are level when they meet in the middle. Only it's worse than that; I don't start with the beginning or the end, I build in random order, making a bunch of small middle sections then try to figure out how to attach them all together. The result is usually an inconsistent story full of broken logic.

And the other problem I always have: It wants to be a bigger story. I come up with novel sized ideas and try to make them short stories. Not sure what my current word count is, but I have feeling I might have to do some serious trimming to get this down to 10,000 words, and I'm not entirely confident it'll be a good read at that size. . .

I'm just going to keep poking at it until it's a story that I like.
 
Last edited:
And the other problem I always have: It wants to be a bigger story.
It doesn't matter what length I try to write to, all my stories want to be bigger stories.:confused:

My day started with a rejection - I was engaged by the idea in this piece, but I think maybe it's too big a concept to fit nicely into the limitations of flash fiction. What are the odds that I can flesh it out without complicating it further? :rolleyes:
 
I submitted my map story. I couldn't wait any longer. I started to think it was complete crap. Well, it mostly is, but there are some good bits! (I hope.) Anyway, it clocked in at 8,833 words. Fingers crossed!!!!
 
I submitted my map story. I couldn't wait any longer. I started to think it was complete crap. Well, it mostly is, but there are some good bits! (I hope.) Anyway, it clocked in at 8,833 words. Fingers crossed!!!!

So you think you're going to accept or reject it? LOL! :D

Sorry but this just sounds very schizophrenic. ;)

(I know (I think I do, maybe I do, let me check with the squirrels) that you are relying on the other readers/editors to make the decision with regard to your own submission.)
 
Last edited:
My day started with a rejection - I was engaged by the idea in this piece, but I think maybe it's too big a concept to fit nicely into the limitations of flash fiction. What are the odds that I can flesh it out without complicating it further? :rolleyes:
I've added 1900 words, effectively tripling the length but I think I've shown a better character arc and I was very disciplined and didn't add any subplots. We'll see.
 
I haven't done any work the last two days. The last thing I did was to outline a final, short scene for a chapter where my protag learns his crush is dating an antagonist. While outlining that scene I found I hadn't finished the scene just prior to it and I'm not sure how to do so. I need to look at it again, then get really into the outline for the next chapter, which is that last one from my June goals. I've just had an idea for how to start that next chapter, so maybe I'll work on that when I get home tonight. Or maybe tomorrow... :rolleyes:
 
Wow. Somebody is keen. ;)
Ok. This month I will:
  1. Discover the Main Dramatic Question of the Novella I want to write during NaNoCamp for the contest and write the story that answers that question.
  2. Enter the Micro Fiction and Flash Contests
Stretch Goals
  1. Enter the Short Story Contest
  2. Rewrite Succession
Mid month check in
  1. 4k words in to my Findings novella, I've discovered that I flubbed my outline. I'm currently trying to rework it.
  2. Done and done
Stretch Goals
  1. Nope. I have an idea but I'm not sure it has any legs.
  2. Done. It remains to be seen if the rewrite constitutes a story that resolves but...it's closer than it was.
 
...SOMEone was too busy gallivanting around in exotic African locales...
SOMEone rejected my first concept...or so it seemed to sleep deprived me as I was gallivanting around East Africa... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not a shoe in - that's for sure. You all know what my stories are like. :eek:

But my story is shaping up and I think it is coming round to an okay story. :)
 
My goals for July:
  1. Read/review two books
  2. Enter the flash and maybe the micro contests
  3. Edit my map story and pass it onto to a few beta readers to tear apart
  4. Get back to my ghost stories

  1. I read two (Age of Myth & Warrior Mage) and reviewed one (out later this week). Will get the other review out soon.
  2. Yes! I did both! Woohoo!
  3. Yes! I did this too. It has gone through several revisions and is on the final polish. :)
  4. Haven't done this. Not sure I want to anymore. :(
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top