July 2016 Motivation Thread

Oh, you have no idea the looks I give you. ;)

Been a while since I've been on here. June was a complete wash, and I spent the past nine days on vacation, so nothing written at all during that span.

My goals are very simple. Get my ass in gear and write.

I've got to shake out of this funk. While on vacation I had a few friends ask how the writing was going, or what I was working on now, or when to expect the second book of Ash & Flame.

That wasn't sunburn on my cheeks.
Hi Wilson! Sorry to hear about all the troubles in June, especially about your grandfather. I'm glad to see you back though! July will be a better month, I'm sure of it.
 
Just under halfway through editing my short story. Took me almost 4 hours for 3000 words AND the worst is yet to come. The second half has the most changes needed. Talk about tough edits. I'd hoped to have most of it done today, but looks like 1-2 more days before I have the new version down. Still, I think it will be worth it in the end.
 
Just under halfway through editing my short story. Took me almost 4 hours for 3000 words AND the worst is yet to come. The second half has the most changes needed. Talk about tough edits. I'd hoped to have most of it done today, but looks like 1-2 more days before I have the new version down. Still, I think it will be worth it in the end.
Good Luck!
 
I've been slogging too. I haven't had much time to sit down and just concentrate on editing. It is a slow process, but I have to do it quick. So it feels like I'm getting nothing done, but I'm hurrying to do it. o_O

I'm clearing off Saturday so I can spend all day on it.
 
Could be.....they are evil bastids!
You should really write a story about them. You could call it, "The Conspiracy of Squirrels". Maybe they will be so honored by your interest in them that they will make an exception for you and exclude you from their plans to conquer the human race.
 
You should really write a story about them. You could call it, "The Conspiracy of Squirrels". Maybe they will be so honored by your interest in them that they will make an exception for you and exclude you from their plans to conquer the human race.

You may or may not know the History of the Squirrels wherein they are said to have played starring roles in a certain neophyte contest participants first entries and it is said continue to return on occasion such as the more recent 'Punctuated Equilibrium!' :D
 
You may or may not know the History of the Squirrels wherein they are said to have played starring roles in a certain neophyte contest participants first entries and it is said continue to return on occasion such as the more recent 'Punctuated Equilibrium!' :D
No, sorry, I am not familiar with either of those. Perhaps I'll look into them though.
 
No progress today (yet) on the collection, but I did make a full edit one of my 'in progress' stories that has been languishing. It's better for it, but not sure it's ready for prime time yet.
 
I just spent over an hour working through three sections of my maps story and I was loosing confidence in the story with every paragraph. I hate that feeling. Time to step away for the night and sleep on it.
 
Last edited:
I just spent over an hour working through three sections of my maps story and I was loosing confidence in the story with ever paragraph. I hate that feeling. Time to step away for the night and sleep on it.

That sucks, good luck tomorrow!
 
I've been slogging too. I haven't had much time to sit down and just concentrate on editing. It is a slow process, but I have to do it quick. So it feels like I'm getting nothing done, but I'm hurrying to do it. o_O

I'm clearing off Saturday so I can spend all day on it.
You and me both! Although I think I may be just trying to tackle too much of it at once. This is my first read through of the story (which is not the story I wrote last night, this is my father's novel) and I'm basically only noting things that stand out to me initially.
 
I just spent over an hour working through three sections of my maps story and I was loosing confidence in the story with every paragraph. I hate that feeling. Time to step away for the night and sleep on it.

Yes, it's amazing how quickly you can lose all sense of perspective on a story. Stepping away sounds good. Usually works for me!

I finished the short story rewrite; it's now a couple of thousand words longer and hopefully better for it. Either that, or I just added a load of waffle. :D

As for my other July goal, which was to NaNo my wip, I'm going to have to set that aside. I just got editing notes back for an urban fantasy YA of mine which comes out next year (My first published novel! My first professional edits! Exciting! Terrifying!), so that will be my top priority now. Good thing is, I don't have a crushing deadline for it, so I can take time and make it sparkle.
 
Now that I've returned from traveling, I can start thinking more clearly about what I want to do this month.
So here's what I'm looking at:
  • Finish revising and polishing the short story I wrote for the Map anthology
  • Continue revisions on the novella I wrote in February
  • Submit some poems and stories (no specific number, as part of this goal is looking back through all the poems I've written and getting a better system for keeping track of what's published, what's out there, what's lingering without a market, what needs revision, etc.)
It feels very strange to have nothing with the Spire City seasons in this list of goals...but the final season was bundled and published in June, so now I'm just waiting for the royalty money to roll in. Or something.
 
Back
Top