Ok, head count time...

The whole area of etnicity is very tricky. Everywhere is to varying degrees a mixture of everywhere else.
The Angles and the Saxons would've more specifically come from what we now call Germany. There were also significant invasions and settlements from modern day Scandinavia. Then the Normans arrived, who were originally from the Scandinavian peninsula too but had become very French along the way before taking over most of Britain. They may be said to have set the tone for subsequent centuries, but it does make for quite an ethnic mish-mash.

As regards the Celts being more British than later arrivals - what about the pre-Celtic peoples? And the historical Celts were not a monolithic people. There were several waves of invasion and settlement of both Ireland and Britain by what we now call Celts (derived from the Ancient Greek word for barbarians, they didin't call themselves Celts.)

I think we have to be very careful here. And would the Celts being more British than the Anglo-Saxons make the average Irishman more British than Queen Elizabeth (A Hun?) - Funny, given that all through school we had it drummed into us that we're Irish not British - that the British Isles is an incorrect term, that the correct term is Britain and Ireland. ( Something I stubbornly still stand by for historical reasons, though I understand and respect the term British Isles at the same time. I just never use it ,I can't...)
In recent years there's been much talk of the "Celtic Nations" . I find it interesting that in Irish Gaelic the word for Wales is "An Bhreatain Beag", meaning Little Britain, but that in a recent Irish-English dictionary they've included the Welsh word Cymru, as if hoping to nudge out the traditional term as it contadicts current dichotomies where the rugged yet poetic Celt confronts a crude caricature of an effeminate treacherous Sasanach. That's all just smug, rabble-rousing - and an insult to intelligence.
I mention all of this not in an attempt to demolish "Celtic" nationalisms, rather in the interest of lively debate. And as someone who recognises himself as emotionally very nationalist. But given the atrocities that have been commited in the name of Irish patriotism, I would never like to let emotion to dominate over reason

Rant finished:cool:
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by Sammie
Texas CAN'T, imo! They'll be re-integrated yet!!

And Rad found a definition that says the Channel Islands are at least partially independant.....now remind me - where does the Government of Yorkshire stand on the new education policies? ;)

:D

huh?....texas cant "imo".........sorry...but i consider myself a texan then an american.........but i was raised there by my german grandparents......they came over when i was 6 so theres always gonna be a soft spot fer them
 
I'd help if I could Rad, but I posted where I'm from on the first page I think!
 
Me too Rad. :(

How is this possible?? That a simple idea to find out where everyone is from, is swiftly degenerating into this!!
frustrated.gif


Come on guys - it was just intended to find out how cosmopolitan we are. We don't have to start any civil wars.... Just put whatever place you want to call home in the list, for Pete's sake.
 
Current count stands at:

USA-16
UK-13
Australia-11
Canada-7
Finland - 2
New Zealand-1
Philipines-1
Norway-1
Belgium-1
Channel Islands - 1
Ireland - 1
TEXAS - 1
Germany-1
WALES - 1


Back on topic for now.
 
Thanks CM - I just realised I should have done that and was about to come fix it up. You beat me. :D
 
Originally posted by saintjon


a couple civil wars and a general upheaval in the UK!!!

Thats right, were do you think American got it's 16 votes plus the Texas republic holdout vote from? :rolleyes:
 
"is swiftly degenerating into this"

I disagree :) that its degenerating ;) I think its just a lively debate about nationalism and what where you come from says about your thoughts on the issue. Besides it says general discussion and no-one said we had to stick to topic, did they ........ :(
 
Originally posted by kater
...and no-one said we had to stick to topic, did they ........ :(
Well ... unless you count Sammie of course......who's asked for this very thing numerous times. In fact I think she's rolled her eyes so much, I just saw them pass by my front door (in Oz!!)
 
Mayhap a suggestion? :)

I for one am finding the debate on nationalism interesting and all. However, in respect to the original direction of the thread, mebbe another thread for this debate should be set up?

Just a thought... ;)
 
I'll second that!!

I just HATE when Sammie starts to get cranky - that's all. :D
 
Originally posted by e-Morgana
I just HATE when Sammie starts to get cranky - that's all. :D

Cranky Sammie ==>
frustrated.gif
(Isn't it cute that the smiley's even blonde? :p )

I'd post another smiley about Sammie's possible reaction but methinks that it ain't nice for polite company here. ;)
 
Okay YES!! THIS thread is for head counting - but if people wanna set up a thread discussing nationality more, then i will happily move the relevant posts over into it.

Better?

As far as sff guidelines go, the fact that a thread is NOT in GD means you may NOT spam it......but the fact that it IS doesn't necessarily mean that you MAY.

If the person who started the thread doesn't like the topic swerve it has taken, then it's a good indication, to me, that we are too far off topic.

Okay?

*hopes so*
 
Apologies, I'll shut up now

Last count was:

USA-16
UK-13
Australia-11
Canada-7
Finland - 2
New Zealand-1
Philipines-1
Norway-1
Belgium-1
Channel Islands - 1
Ireland - 1
TEXAS - 1
Germany-1
WALES - 1
 
USA-17
UK-13
Australia-11
Canada-7
Finland - 2
New Zealand-1
Philipines-1
Norway-1
Belgium-1
Channel Islands - 1
Ireland - 1
TEXAS - 1
Germany-1
WALES - 1
 
Yay!! Good on ya CF!! :D

Now who else do we have to recruit?? :cool:

So we now have

USA-17
UK-13
Australia-12
Canada-7
Finland - 2
New Zealand-1
Philipines-1
Norway-1
Belgium-1
Channel Islands - 1
Ireland - 1
TEXAS - 1
Germany-1
WALES - 1
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top