Reading in April 2011

I just started On Basilisk Station today. Only about chapter in at this point.

Huge fan and all, but this book has an added twist that you won't appreciate until you get 15 years and more down the line in the series and see how the big picture will turn out; won't say more than it's one of those little things that make DW so good and quite far from the simplistic stuff people assume without reading his work
 
In a similar vein, (or at least style) halfway through Jack McDevitt's Chindi. Had this one sitting there for a long while. Been meaning to... not sure why I haven't picked it up before.

Good page turner.

Mark
 
And I just finished up Blackout. Next, on to the fantasy book of the month.

I just started Blackout for May's SF book club discussion. Liking it so far, but I'll save my comments for the book club thread for now.
 
I got a bit bogged down in Brian Green's hidden universe if I'm completely honest.

Reading all Bujolds Miles Vorkiwotsit back to back now after seeing the recommendation many times here. Now on book 7 (Cetaganda?) in about 4 days. They're OK but a bit 'political intrigue in the US book style' with a very thin sci-fi agenda for my tastes. Also, I started with Cryoburn (linked from somewhere here) after a huge break since book 1, so I've broken the arc a bit.

There's bits and bobs that stand out for sure but if you're hitting them back to back then the court of the king style whodunnit'try starts to read more like fantasy to me...
 
I just started Blackout for May's SF book club discussion. Liking it so far, but I'll save my comments for the book club thread for now.

I went on holiday for a couple of weeks and put Blackout down in favour of an airport purchase, Iain M Banks' Matter. I've almost finished it, and it was well worth reading as always with Banks, but it means I'm going to be late finishing Blackout now.. :rolleyes:
 
I went on holiday for a couple of weeks and put Blackout down in favour of an airport purchase, Iain M Banks' Matter. I've almost finished it, and it was well worth reading as always with Banks, but it means I'm going to be late finishing Blackout now.. :rolleyes:

Banks' stuff that I've read has been pretty good.

What was it about Blackout that made you put it down in favor of Banks?

This is only the second book I've ever read by Willis. Read The Doomsday Book back a few years ago, and enjoyed it a lot.
 
I started Zima Blue by Alastair Reynolds a few days ago, and I've been on/off reading it. I'm not sure what to make of it, if I'm honest, as I'm only a few stories in.

I doubt I'll be rushing through this, though. The territory is too unfamiliar to me for it to be a quick read.
 
I just started On Basilisk Station today. Only about chapter in at this point.

Funny - I started this book earlier this week too after seeing David Weber at Eastercon in the UK. What a gentleman, but equally a machine! He said he writes at least 4000 words per day and he's got lots of contracts on the go for books at present (31, I think). He also said he just submitted the next two Honor Harrington books - not even sure which number that'll be!

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this book (half way through) and it's very much what I need at the moment. I may very well read the next afterwards if it continues like this....
 
Stalled around book 4 (I think!) Mark, but they do get better. If I remember right it was about that time I got sidetracked with Bujold/Miles instead. Keep meaning to go back to them...

If it helps, for the later books there are free e-copies about, courtesy of Baen.

Currently finishing Chindi, then back to review stuff. Read a load of Simak, which is increasingly hard to get, I understand.

Mark
 
Funny - I started this book earlier this week too after seeing David Weber at Eastercon in the UK. What a gentleman, but equally a machine! He said he writes at least 4000 words per day and he's got lots of contracts on the go for books at present (31, I think). He also said he just submitted the next two Honor Harrington books - not even sure which number that'll be!
Permission to be jealous? I'm not sure why, but I'd like to meet Mr Weber.
 
Stalled around book 4 (I think!) Mark, but they do get better. If I remember right it was about that time I got sidetracked with Bujold/Miles instead. Keep meaning to go back to them...

If it helps, for the later books there are free e-copies about, courtesy of Baen.

Cheers Mark! I'll have a look into the free e-copies now that I have a kindle, it'll certainly help on shelf space! Also never tried the Miles books - worth it? And how many so far?!

Cheerwell - from what I saw and heard he is such a nice guy! I tried to track him down to have a chat outside of the panels, but couldn't catch him, unfortunately. One thing is certain, seeing him talk so passionately about his books have made me want to read lots of what he's done :)
 
Cheerwell - from what I saw and heard he is such a nice guy! I tried to track him down to have a chat outside of the panels, but couldn't catch him, unfortunately. One thing is certain, seeing him talk so passionately about his books have made me want to read lots of what he's done :)
He does seem to be a nice guy, I agree. He said Hello to me on Twitter once, too (I mean that literally). I'm a little annoyed that I find the Honor books hard, because I do really want to read them. Maybe I'll just have to keep chipping away at On Basilisk Station.
 
Permission to be jealous? I'm not sure why, but I'd like to meet Mr Weber.

I never met him in person but I interviewed him by email and he was very nice; i have been a huge fan since 1993 or so when i discovered his books and he is definitely the one living author I read the most (on the 50+ books scale including all his collaborations) - though there are authors i've read more books from but few (Dumas and Verne for sure, A. Christie most likely) and his two flagship series (Honor and Safehold) are my two top sff series of now -the Honorverse of all time...
 
Banks' stuff that I've read has been pretty good.

What was it about Blackout that made you put it down in favor of Banks?

Just that I was in the airport for ages, bought Matter on an impulse and started it there and then.
 
I find that most stuff like this goes completely missed by me as they're US only :/

Actually, four or five were published in the UK - by Orbit, I think - about five-ten years ago? but it is probably the US editions you need now: or electronic ones from Baen (again)....

Mark
 
Back
Top