I just started On Basilisk Station today. Only about chapter in at this point.
And I just finished up Blackout. Next, on to the fantasy book of the month.
I just started Blackout for May's SF book club discussion. Liking it so far, but I'll save my comments for the book club thread for now.
I went on holiday for a couple of weeks and put Blackout down in favour of an airport purchase, Iain M Banks' Matter. I've almost finished it, and it was well worth reading as always with Banks, but it means I'm going to be late finishing Blackout now..![]()
I just started On Basilisk Station today. Only about chapter in at this point.
Permission to be jealous? I'm not sure why, but I'd like to meet Mr Weber.Funny - I started this book earlier this week too after seeing David Weber at Eastercon in the UK. What a gentleman, but equally a machine! He said he writes at least 4000 words per day and he's got lots of contracts on the go for books at present (31, I think). He also said he just submitted the next two Honor Harrington books - not even sure which number that'll be!
Stalled around book 4 (I think!) Mark, but they do get better. If I remember right it was about that time I got sidetracked with Bujold/Miles instead. Keep meaning to go back to them...
If it helps, for the later books there are free e-copies about, courtesy of Baen.
He does seem to be a nice guy, I agree. He said Hello to me on Twitter once, too (I mean that literally). I'm a little annoyed that I find the Honor books hard, because I do really want to read them. Maybe I'll just have to keep chipping away at On Basilisk Station.Cheerwell - from what I saw and heard he is such a nice guy! I tried to track him down to have a chat outside of the panels, but couldn't catch him, unfortunately. One thing is certain, seeing him talk so passionately about his books have made me want to read lots of what he's done![]()
Also never tried the Miles books - worth it? And how many so far?!
Permission to be jealous? I'm not sure why, but I'd like to meet Mr Weber.
Banks' stuff that I've read has been pretty good.
What was it about Blackout that made you put it down in favor of Banks?
Oh yes: definitely. Have not been quite as good lately though (see Cryoburn review). More character led, though: less strategic.
Details: at least 14 to date, but they are now releasing them as omnibuses/(omnibii?)
Link: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/lois-mcmaster-bujold/
Mark
I find that most stuff like this goes completely missed by me as they're US only :/