After a while not reading much and a very short genre break spent reading a Stieg Larsson crime novel -- amazingly absorbing, these things, particularly considering how expository the writing is and all the ways in which they technically shouldn't work and yet do -- I've gotten quite a bit read recently:
Finished White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi, a book from several not-entirely-reliable points of view about a malevolent house in Dover England. Some may find it irritating trying to keep track of what's going on, as the style [which is beautiful] can be slightly obtuse, and none of the characters has the full picture, but this is an excellent book in my opinion. One of the most engrossing things I've read in a while that both kept me completely engaged on a plot level and also made me think. In a similar unreliable / supernaturally creepy vain, though perhaps slightly more tilted toward outright genre horror, everyone who has any time at all for tales of terror in which an unreliable narrator is slowly pushed nearer and nearer the edge really needs to read Caitlin Kiernan's The Red Tree, which I also finished recently.
Then read Jim Butcher's latest Dresden Files novel Changes:
Dang.
That is all.
And, most recently, I've just finished Canticle, the second book in Ken Scholes' Psalms of Isaak epic fantasy. Any comments wouldn't mean much to those who haven't read Lamentation and would spoil for those that have, but I thought the book was about as strong as its predecessor up until the end, which, though a little rushed, elevated the whole endeavor a notch or two. There are still a couple things -- and characters -- that I'm not totally convinced by, but once I got back into the spirit of the thing I enjoyed my second visit to the Named Lands quite a lot.
And now, though I know it shall hurt me, I shall next attempt Raymond Feist's new Midkemia novel, At the Gates of Darkness. Because I am a sucker, a fool, and a hopeless addict. The steady decline of the series -- with only one or two stuttering moments of hope -- might reverse itself, ... maybe, ... right? In fact I hold no hope whatsoever, and read the new book because, well, it is springtime, and every spring I read the new Midkemia book. Perhaps I hate myself. In last year's installment -- apologies to the spoiler-averse but it really honestly doesn't matter at this stage -- Feist killed off a character who has been a central protagonist in his novels for over ten years in a scene which had all the emotion of a grocery list; could've sworn it came from a Wiki plot summary. Can he top this tonight? Oh, my good people, I rather think he can.
________
Dispensaries