suciul
Read interesting books
- Joined
- Dec 24, 2005
- Messages
- 3,759
The Adamantine Palace was a lot better than the second book.
Leaving aside the "a lot" I agree too as I mentioned in my review; I thought that the main reason was the author tried to be more "conventional" and explain things, rather than go on another mad dash like The Adamantine Palace
Back on topic, I finished "Stealing Fire" by Jo Graham and I liked it a lot - I was actually preparing to start one of my big expected books of the year (big in all senses, from sweep, number of characters to page length - Void 3 by PF Hamilton) when Stealing Fire showed somewhat unexpectedly in the mail and when I opened, it just hooked me and since it was a short book at about 300 pages, I decided to read it first.
Third in Ms. Graham loosely linked by reincarnation and manifestations of gods, "numinous realms" historical fantasy series, though chronologically it falls in-between the saga of Aeneas in "Black Ships" and the one of Cleopatra in "Hand of Isis", this one follows a former stable boy - Lydias of Miletus, half Carian, half Greek by blood - who becomes a cavalry officer in Alexander's army and on the death of the Conqueror throws its lot with rumored illegitimate older half-brother of Alexander, general Ptolemy and goes to Egypt to secure it for his chief who was named by Alexander satrap there, while the story alternates between the present day from 323 BC on, to snippets of important events in the hero's past. Very entertaining and a page turner to the end, I thought this the best of Ms. Graham's work to date in many ways

