Reading in November!

About 100 pages into Fallen Dragon right now...seems like it'll be a good read. I always enjoy SF just to find out how authors come up with the technology for FTL travel.
 
I'm reading Oath of Fealty by Niven and Pournelle, largely because it was sitting around the house, I knew it would be a comfortable read, and Quicksilver's just too heavy to carry to work and back (though it is next on my list).

Oath of Fealty's about an arcology (biiiiiiig city-in-a-building) built over the burnt-out slums of future Los Angeles, and living in an uneasy relationship with the outer city. I love how the higher-ups have implants that basically link them to the computers telepathically, but they don't have cordless phones yet. (Tee hee. :D ) Still, it's shaping up to be a solid enough effort from a solid team, just as I expected.
 
Yes, that's an old one - 82? 83?

Pre-mobile phones and most computers....

I did enjoy it when I read it. Still have a copy somewhere and, as you say, a solid dependable read.

Do we still think arcologies are the future? :)

Hobbit
 
Just finished Neuromancer. I really enjoyed it. I have read very little cyberpunk style SF as of yet. Going to have to check out more of Gibson's works. I also have that list of 'modern' SF authors printed out and stuck in my purse.

Began reading Hominids for the December book club, so don't ya'll change it on me! :)

Picked up a Bruce Sterling title, Holy Fire. Sounds facinating. It's next after Hominids.

At this rate, I won't be touching my library books... may as well take 'em back to the library.

Susan
 
No, Hobbit, it seems the human race is finally beginning to get its urge to have too many babies under control (or is it just that when we're more educated we can think of more interesting things to do?)... we shouldn't be needing the arcologies. From the descriptions of Todos Santos in Oath of Fealty, though, I wouldn't mind living in one if it were to appear on the skyline. I already live in as dense a little city I can find so I can get along without a car... and the sun's bad for my skin anyway... so not having to fill out my tax return would be the final argument, I think! ;)
 
Was reading Road to Kotaishi but had to stop because the library came up with a Kim Wilkins book (don't tell Radthorne). I have to work with Kim in a few weeks so I need to know where she's coming from. The book the library gave me was Angel of Ruin but I picked up Moonstorm a ya book of hers as well... and since they are both supernatural and not the kind of thing I usually read I figured YA would be more fun to read... and it is... and I probably shouldn't be posting any of these books here because none of them are science fiction. But I have Hominids to read too... when is that supposed to be read by?
 
Originally posted by SusF
Picked up a Bruce Sterling title, Holy Fire. Sounds facinating. It's next after Hominids.

Susan

oooooogggghhhhh (Lurch Like Sound). Have you read any Bruce Sterling before ? I wouldn't take your Library books back until you get into Holy Fire and see if you like it.

The idea sounds good, but he has real problems with story telling. It was my second BS book and hopefully my last (I belong to a group that has a BS fan and she periodically forces him on us). I am reminded of Mugwump, I think, who was talking about a CJ Cherryh book he read, and said something like 'it almost sapped my will to live'. Very apt for Holy Fire
 
Rocket Sheep asked:
But I have Hominids to read too... when is that supposed to be read by?
December 1st. I tried to find it today, but failed. I will have to go to a real bookstore this weekend. :)

I've read several books since I last posted here.

Wyrmhole by Jay Casselberg: It appears that this is a first novel for Casselberg. It is your basic SF Mystery with a twist. The PI is a Psychic Investigator. While I thought this sounded really hokey, I really enjoyed the book and I must admit that he handled the psychic bit well. Casselberg is from Australia. It seems to me that Australia is putting out more and more SF/Fantasy, which is refreshing to see.

The Rituals of Infinity by Michael Moorcock. To be honest, I have not read much Moorcock besides the Elric saga. This was a great twist on the old concept "What is we were just playthings of a more advanced intelligence." It also was an interesting look at the role of religion and ritual in human development, though Moorcock seemed quite opposed to that. It was an ok read, though dated. It was copyrighted in 1965.

The Productions of Time by John Brunner: AS some of you know, I inherited quite the collection of old OOP Brunner. I was waiting to read any until I could get them in chronological order, but I needed something to read fast and grabbed this book. It, too, was copyrighted in 1965 and it showed, yet, I loved it. I would classify it as SF Horror. The premise was a mysterious Theater Company that employed actors that had blown their careers by engaging in deviant behavior. One of the deviants was a lesbian; *gasp*. :p I am currently reading another of Brunner's old works and will have more to say about him later.

Synners by Pat Cadigan: I don't know why Pat doesn't get the press that Gibson does. This was a great cyberpunk novel. Granted, it was a bit long and parts of it made me completely confused, Gibson can be said to have the same faults. Part of the problem is that it utilizes a made-up dialect of english, which is always difficult to both write convincingly and read comprehensively. Yet, nevertheless, it was a thoroughly engaging romp with great characters. If you like Cyberpunk, do check it out.
 
Finally got around to reading the latest couple of installments of the SF Masterworks line (at least that have been published in Oz), namely The Dancers at the End of Time and The Space Merchants.

The Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcook contains the novels An Alien Heat, The Hollow Lands and The End of All Songs. I mostly enjoyed it a lot, however the last novel (which takes up almost half the book) left me quite flat and I found my interest waning. I've found that before with Moorcock (fantasy) collections - the short novels themselves tend to be an enjoyable read but a sequenced collection of them together and it can drag on a bit by the end. The last novel also suffers (in my opinion) in that the events take place mostly at the End of Time. The most delightful parts of the novels tend to be the parts that are set in 1890s England, with the far future characters in a fish out of water situation in that setting. It doesn't hold up as well when the reverse takes place. On the whole though it's a very entertaining SF nod to the period of Dickens and Wilde.

The Space Merchants by Fredrick Pohl & C. M. Cornbluth I have been looking forward to reading ever since I heard, 9 months or so ago, that Gollancz was reprinting it-as part of their SF Masterworks range (I had been trying to find a copy for some time previous to no avail). I must say I wasn't disappointed. It is a classic of the genre and has often been called the "quintessential 50s SF novel". It almost feels like an early Dick novel in parts (only not as weird) and is entertaining to postulate how far along to their dystopian advertising-driven world we've come. It may feel a little dated for some people but if you try to read it in context it's a very good read.

I just started reading The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. I've never particularly liked alternate history novels and - a third through the book - KSR has done little to change my mind. To me alternate history novels just seem like an excuse for the author to show off how much research they're capable of doing at the expense of an entertaining storyline. Sure he does the character-driven and setting side of things very well, but chopping it up into what is essentially a loosely linked collection of same themed short stories and novellas makes it hard to identify with or become attached to any particular characters. It's difficult to even invest much into most of the story threads as you know that it's going to end in 30 pages and you'll have to start a new one. Having said that though I have 2/3 to go and I may change my mind about it.
 
I've started Quicksilver and it's interesting, but it's just too heavy to carry to work and back every day, so I've also started rereading Camelot 30K, another solid effort from a very consistent writer, Robert L. Forward. I've read pretty much everything of his, and all of it is fascinating from a scientific perspective and kinda dull from a character perspective. All in all, I like his stuff a great deal, though I certainly like to read character-driven works in between.
 
I just Read Iain M Banks Use of Weapons, such a good character in Zalkawe, and the ending was really chilling. Great book one of the best i've read from Banks.
 
William Gibson's Count Zero.

Not quite as paranoid and bleak in its outlook as say Neuromancer, but still - CZ hardly paints mankind's future in cheerful tones.

As usual, Gibson's writing is excellent (there is a strong argument which states that he's the best literary writer SF has ever produced) - a bucket load of clever and imaginative metaphors combined with an entertaining and robust plot.

Neuromancer reloaded it isn’t, but CZ does stand as an interesting and thought-provoking read nonetheless.

Now, a quandary: Brian Aldiss's Helliconia Spring or A. E. van Vogt's The World of Null-A?
 
Finished reading Speaking Dreams by Severna Park. It was her first published book. Much better in terms of tone and producing likeable characters than The Annunciate, but it had pacing problems.

Everything moved at good pace for 3/4 of the book, and then she rushed everything and neatly wrapped it up in the last 1/4. There also seemed to be a decided lack of purpose for a lesbian, feminist, dystopian novel. I am waiting for the second book in the duology to come in, and hope it will give me a better feeling of completeness.

I have also started At The Edge of Space a newly published CJ Cherryh omnibus that has Brothers of Earth which I am reading now, and Hunter of Worlds. So far so good, but it is very reminiscent of the other cultures that she has done in Foreigner and Faded Sun.

I think I am going into a reading funk. I have about 4 books started, and nothing grabs me.
 
Last edited:
I, too, have been in a reading funk. However, I finally decided to stop trying to read Quicksilver, and my reading mood has lightened considerably. ;) I do want to read it at some point, because there were little snippets and observations that I liked, but the combined observations of me and my spouse (who read it all the way through) point to the Baroque Cycle being essentially one long novel, with this first book being merely 900 pages of clever lead-in to something else. Not exactly worth my carrying it to work and back for weeks.

Following that momentous decision, I re-read Bellwether by Connie Willis... also clever, but quick and fun and diverting and eventful as well. That was pleasant. Next up, probably Magazine Beach by... I forget who. It's set in future Boston and supposed to be very strange indeed.
 
I read Ender's Game, The Gunslinger, and Brave New World. I'm currently reading Life of Pi. I know, barely any sci-fi there, but I'm new to the science fiction world. :)

Anyone have any recommendations for me? The next time I'm at Chapters I'll probably be picking up a few of these titles:

Dune - Herbert
Ender's Shadow - Card
Foundation - Asimov
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Adams
Hyperion - Simmons
Ilium - Simmons
Neuromancer - Gibson
Speaker for the Dead - Card
Ubik - Dick
 
Pick them all up! (except maybe Ender's Shadow which I haven't bothered reading so can't comment on). You may want to add The Forever War by Joe Haldeman to the list, if you haven't already read it, as you seem to be reading great classics.
 
Managed to finish Icehenge by Kim Stanley Robinson. It was ok, nothing special. I just started something much better...or at least I hope so. The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F. Hamilton. The first installment of his trilogy was great and I'm looking forward to reading the other two. :p
 
I am currently enjoying The Player of Games by Iain M Banks. I have never come across the culture before, so I am enjoying the moral dilemma of whether it is a good or bad thing. So far, bad.
I do find the characters a little less human, or emotionally accessible than in a fantasy novel, but then their brains are 6 times bigger than ours so I guess they don't even look it :D
 
This week I've read Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer for the book club (though it's been on my shelf to read since winning the Hugo).

Also Shadrach in the Furnace by Robert Silverberg which, as usual for Silverberg novels from his staggering "golden" period, I enjoyed very much.

Currently reading Volume 2 of The Collected Stories of Robert Silverberg (The Secret Sharer). As these volumes have been out of print for a number of years I was very excited when I found this volume in a secondhand bookstore. I've read a couple of the stories before but they're still good a second time.
 
I read Hominids yesterday... discussion to be reserved for the book club, though I will say it was a much more fun read than I had expected it to be, and that was a pleasant surprise. :)

Now I'm on to The Sky so Big and Black by John Barnes, which I've been looking forward to (the paperback coming out, that is) for ages since it's a distant sequel to Orbital Resonance (great) as well as Candle (mediocre). So far it's good, but slightly annoying in that I was really hoping for another Melpomene type character, and this protagonist--though also a teenage female, which Barnes portrays well--is annoying so far. :rolleyes: Still, I'm enjoying it, and I think the character's about to change for the better anyway.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top