Reading in Science Fiction, January 2022

I just made a great find
41RX9-zmYoL._SY392_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
 
This is from the latest. volume 22,
510aEyxJX3L.jpg


in a delightful and different space opera series that I have mentioned before. It should of course be started from the beginning

I think this is one of the best since the Roos were discovered most is of my complaints In some of the earlier books in the series were about unnecessary fart jokes in some of the early books that set an unneeded juivinal tone, those coupled with just a bit too much “good old boy just dumb hicks/hill folk here for you to underestimate here” were the core of them.
That covers all of my complaints about the whole series and being fair I have to say taken together they pull no more than 4 or 5 of the 22 down by at most one star.
The author has developed into far too good of a wordsmith to need those tricks for more than character coloring now. Now since my good reads and sffworld nickname was bestowed upon me by my college roommates more than half a century ago you might discern that my sensitivity to fart humor is a longstanding one and sadly well earned. Also my some of my famly from the West Virginia hill country have perhaps made me a bit over sensitive to good old boy humor many decades after they left, leaving the accent behind.

My only kvetch is I wish the books were longer but as long as Jerry Boyd keeps up this release schedule there is not much to complain about in truth, as they add up to about a George Martin doorstop size tome every year or so

If any of you folks here decide to give it a try please make the attempt to read the first 4 before deciding to quit it and either way let me know what you think.

These are easy reading books that can be used as a bit of rest if you have been sampling things that have given you nightmares or reaching for the dictionary or your comparative philosophy 101 textbook due to your last “serious” tome
 
Last edited:
The Honor of the Queen

51prrIwcbdL.jpg


Sent to the Yeltsin system on a diplomatic mission in a bid to draw the planet Grayson into an alliance with Manticore to help shore up its borders with the Haven Republic, Captain Honor Harrington finds herself at odds with the sexist attitudes of the Graysons. Meanwhile, the planet’s sworn enemy of Masada, with the assistance of two Havenite warships, secretly mobilises to attack Grayson.

Overall, this was quite an enjoyable read. The Masadans were caricatured as a mashup of misogynistic bigots and religious zealots and, despite the back story of both planets’ colonisation of the Yeltsin system and their historical and religious roots which led to the schism that separated them, in practice one or two of the Masadans did come across as a bit unconvincing, even if they did fill the slot of hateworthy bad guys. The space battles were pretty well done, though slugging it out with broadsides seemed a little like too much of a nod to the book’s Hornblower roots. That said, it remained faithful to the concept of the Honorverse, which embraces the naval traditions of the Hornblower books and places them in a futuristic setting. Once you accept this (and fend off any comparisons with SF writers from the last twenty years or so) The Honor of the Queen is a decent enough read. I have the next in the series lined up, yet it remains to be seen how much further I venture into the Honorverse.
 
mine is the USA 1947 edition and the dust cover looks ok $20 for a first edition classic.... the local library had this edition when I was a boy and just recall it fondly without details... I look forward to the reread.

love the art on your covers
 
Magnificent Mark, the UK has always had the best cover artists (Chesley Knight Bonestell Jr. and a few others excepted) I think the fault is with the publishers of the genre titles just did not want to spend for great graphic design and top notch artists for unproven genre authors. Once they racked up big number the big name golden age authors started getting front line art and design from the publisher.
And you have to open this link
https://www.bonestell.org/Image-Gallery.aspx
 
And I love Bonestell too! Thank you for the link: I have two prints of those (in my hallway!)

20211224_203245 small.jpg

Sadly, the age of quality artwork seems to be past here in the UK. I despair at what passes as cover art these days, which seems to be based on 5 minutes thought and little effort.
 
Mark, yes, I am somewhat amazed at the amount of current cover art that has made use of what look to be copyright-free art collections intended for things like student graphic design projects or church newsletters.

this is probably not the case but some of what I see does give off that vibe to me.
 
And I love Bonestell too! Thank you for the link: I have two prints of those (in my hallway!)

View attachment 654

Sadly, the age of quality artwork seems to be past here in the UK. I despair at what passes as cover art these days, which seems to be based on 5 minutes thought and little effort.
I was stunned at the nearly 40 images there that are now PUBLIC DOMAIN!
click the high res and the public domain switches and watch the slide show... I thought the USA copyright lasted 40 years after the death of the artist.
 
Finished a re-listen to Peter F Hamilton's A Hole in the Sky. Enjoyed it more this time around, perhaps because I went in knowing to expect YA SF rather than anything more adult - even though I kinda knew this before I listened the first time. Managed to get an advanced copy so now on the sequel, The Captain's Daughter (due out towards the end of Feb).

I also listened to a short story/novella called This Long Virgil by Rhett C. Bruno & Jaime Castle (I really enjoyed their Dead Acre western/fantasy novella). An interesting take on the generation ship travelling to a new home, and apparently set in the same universe as a series, so may check that out.
 
The Short Victorious War

51J6SHD49ZL.jpg


This, the third in the Honorverse series, was for me the best of the series so far. The gradual build up to open hostilities was done well and there were no 'passengers' among the many characters in the story. Honor Harrington was the central character again, though this time her part in the story was mainly centred on her burgeoning relationship with Captain Tankersley (which was kind of sweet as she deserved some happiness). The focus switched to a wider, interstellar viewpoint as the story moved forward; and rightly so given the enormous distances in the theatre of battle. I would have liked to have experienced the Yeltsin battle first-hand rather than reading a brief account of it, but I’m sure there will be plenty of battles in future books. This was a good read and I enjoyed it. The next in the series, I understand, does not take place in space so I will be interested in reading how the change of pace works out.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top