The Best & Worse SF You Read in 2006

Specfiction, to be honest if i was in your position i would be happy that a book i have put my all in has been read and enjoyed by other people.

nobody on earth can expect stellar reviews from everyone.

all you can do is learn from the bad ones you get,



anyway for me, since i actually only started reading properly this year i guess this would be my favourite novel ever! :)

speaker for the dead (ender game, up their with it)

worst of the year is more my least favourite good one, and thats children of the mind (really only read orson scott card stuff in sci-fi this year, but i will be reading 1984, old man's war, flowers for algermon and other stuff very soon)
 
Last edited:
anyway for me, since i actually only started reading properly this year
Rendezvous with Rama is a fantastic read for a young, impressionable SF fan...your money back if you don't love it!! Oh, 1984 is pretty good too.
 
Flowers for Algernon is even better then Rendezvous with Rama is some ways. Actually, all three (including 1984) show three very different but equally enthralling faces of sci-fi.
 
anyway for me, since i actually only started reading properly this year i guess it would be my favourite novel ever!

Thanks for the good vibes, grechzoo. The best (SF) novel I've read in the past couple of years was Queen of Angels by Greg Bear. Unfortunately, this is a pretty hard book to actually read. Bear makes up a lot of terminology and slang. There are four parallel threads to the story running at once--but ultimatley if you can hang in there it's a very unique and interesting book.

I should also include On the Beach by Nevil Shutes, which I re-read this year. A very moving story about the end of the world.
 
yeah i cant wait for them

i have started 1984 first since its regarded as such a classic.

then ill get onto daniel keyes. and then old man's war.

i also have got kafka on the shore (i know its not sci-fi) and im excited by that cause of all he great reviews.
 
My least favorite was Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge. It really just wasn't that interesting to me, and the conclusion sort of left me with a "so what?" bit. Just . . . boring. Points for an amazing cover though.

Ironically, my favorite (which I read 6 months later) was by the same author, A Fire Upon the Deep. It was completely different, a perfect space opera, I loved it so much.
 
Ironically, my favorite (which I read 6 months later) was by the same author, A Fire Upon the Deep. It was completely different, a perfect space opera, I loved it so much.

I've just re-read that, because it's going to be the Book of the Month for February - so I'll comment on it when that thread starts!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top