has anyone put their own book cover on here?
My avatar is actually the drawing that my brother did for my book, but I am not sure if I should post it here or not. He is an excellent artist, that is why I picked him.![]()
Tiny request: If we're posting art before it's had all the cover magic done to it, can we just say what book it is? Much easier for all![]()
I think there was a law in the 80s that stated that either Darrell K. Sweet or Michael Whelan had to do the cover for every fantasy and SF book published.
It stops this thread being:
Post 1: Image
Post 2: What book's that from?
Post 3: Book Title
Post 4: Image
... And repeat. Easier for everyone if we just name the book (If needs be).
Westsiyeed,
Finch managed to snag great cover art on both sides of the pond. Eventually, I will have to buy the UK version to go along with my US copy:
![]()
Yes, damn good.
And you may not know it, but the cover art is by the writer himself. Clive Barker is also a painter. The first Abarat book isn't quite as good as the second. Book two, Abarat; Days of Magic, Nights of War is one of my all time favorites... and it's pissing me off Clive hasn't produced book three yet.
I have a feeling that the second book was so well received he doesn't want the third to fall off in quality.
That's awesome Sparrow. I imagine you had to drop some serious cash. Original Canvas?
He's definitely taking his time with the third, but there are actually 5 books planned in the series and his website says he's working on them all (and over 500 painted canvases), as well as an unrelated short stories collection.
I love the Abarat books, they're YA but very readable for adults, but being interspersed with Clive's great artwork makes them even better.
I remember back when I was in school in the late 70s/early 80s, you were either a Frazetta fan or a Boris fan. Boris' stuff always looked to sanitized, too posed, too pretty. Frazetta's work had that rough-hewn look that added a layer of realism to it.
Dude if you are uncomfortable about any guidelines or anything being a writer give me a link to where your book is and I will post itGood art is good art no one would mistake that for trying to sell a book.
There is, and was, no better artist of the fantastic than Frank Frazetta.