Top 5 Favorite Authors!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hemingway
  • Start date Start date
1. Terry Goodkind
2. kidding

1. John Ruel Ronald Tolkien - Not nessecery the best author in how to write books, but his world is just brilliant, and if it hadn't been up to him, fantasy literature would probably not have become what it has become.

2. George R.R. Martin - Great to read, something different, he include all the cool things, exiting, special and imaginative world, everything actually.

3. Robin Hobb - Just darn exciting. You get in love with the characters.

4. Michael Moore - This is maybe.. a strange one and has nothing to do with fantasy at all. But I find his books just great.

5. Umberto Eco - Selfexplainable

In this post I was so uncertain about some of the english words, so if some of the words are very strange or absolutely wrong, you have my apologies.

;)
 
I thought I had posted here, but guess not. Here goes (Hard to choose)

1. George RR Martin
2. Terry Goodkind (so sue me)
3. Anne Bishop
4. Robin Hobb
5. Jim Butcher and Kim Harrison (tie between them because I just love both)

These of course are just the authors for this genre. I have other authors of different genres that I like and some even better, but for fantasy at this moment in time I would have to say these are it.
 
this is a tough one, I am not sure I'll be able to answer it properly.. but I'll give you todays answer...

(in no order)

Philip K. Dick
Jonathan Lethem
G.R.R.Martin
J.G.Ballard

(and suddenly...)
C.S.Friedman

if I wirte this list again in 5 minutes, it will look completely different.
 
1. Lord Dunsany
2. Mervyn Peake
3. Jack Vance
4. Fritz Leiber
5. Roger Zelazny

Old classics never die, they just get replaced by hack imitations. ;)
 
magze said:
Raymond E Fiest {Magician reintroduced me to fantasy}
Tolkien
Terry Brooks
Robin Hobb {only started reading since joining sfworld}
Stephen King
If it wasnt just fantasy Dennis Wheatley would have been top followed by James Herbert
Heres my revised list

Feist

Erikson

Bakker

Wolfe

Kaye
 
I hope you all don't mind that I resurrect this thread ... but I feel like adding my favourite authors too. :)

1. Stephen R. Donaldson
2. Robert E. Howard
3. Ray Bradbury
4. Michael Moorcock
5. Fritz Lieber

Honourable Mention:
* H.P. Lovecraft
* Patricia A. McKillip
 
  1. George R R Martin- Do i really need to explain myself?
  2. Robin Hobb- Superb, i fell in love with her characters.
  3. Alison Croggon- Beautifully written
  4. Lean Hearn- Very original
  5. Tolkien- Classics are goooood!
 
Except the top two this probably changes every few years.
1.Gene Wolfe
2.Fritz Leiber
3.If we're counting magic realism(i think someone put Marquez)Salman Rushdie and Bulgakov tied.
4.Jack Vance
5.Kelly Link

And just a few more i love real quick Gaiman, Martin, Bradburry, Zelazny, Brust, Eddison, and T.C. Rypell, who noone has ever heard of. Which is a shame, because the Gonji books are incredibly entertaining reads. That guy really got shafted by his publisher.
 
Robin Hobb
GRR Martin
Gene Wolfe
Raymond E Feist
Stephen King
 
Last edited:
i'd have to say that my all time favorite author at this time is Juliet Marillier. Especially the Sevenwaters Trilogy. I love how she wrote in first person, it really makes you feel like you're a part of the story when you read it.

my second favorite is Tommy Tenney.

third is Patricia Mckillip. I especially liked her book "Winter Rose". It was very interesting, and made you think alot, especially at the very end. Not to mention its just a great story.

That's all I can say for now.

~Tohru
 
My top 5 favourite authors list changes a bit as I discover new talented writers, fall in love with their work, or re fall in love with older works I'd temporarily forgotten. It all depends on my mood and what's going on in my life, and who's been good to me and released another instalment in the series I'm waiting to continue reading. New things always makes me remember someone fondly.

It's all about 'what have you done for me lately?'

I think it's only right that it should be in flux. Interesting that my favourite authors won't necessarily have released my favourite books, but are consistently good at either series, standalone novels, or short stories.

Right now these are those that enrich my life the most:

In fantasy:

1. Neil Gaiman (thanks to his short stories and graphic novels)
2. Steven Erikson (consistently delivers the goods)
3. Robin Hobb (just discovered her farseer books, and loving them)
4. George RR Martin (news of the HBO thingy has me remembering him again and recalling how good SOI&F is.)
5. Susanna Clarke (dynamite 1st novel and darkly comic short stories)

But like I said, this will change as new or old books call to me. Tad Williams and J.V. Jones often appear, and then disappear again. But right now the three year gap to continue their series (Shadowmarch/Sword of Shadows) has me ticked off enough to ban them from my top 5 list.:(

oh, fickle me.
 
i just got one of mariller's new books a few days back, "Wildwood Dancing". So far it's pretty good. I haven't read that much into it, yet, but i'm liking it as of right now. >^.^< anyone here ever read it?

~Tohru <3
 
I'm surprised

Wow, this is a very interesting thread. There are some big names that are clearly missing, IMHO.

It is hard for me to choose 'favorite authors' rather then 'favorite books' (I feel authors tend to be very inconsistent in what they produce) but I will try:

1. Roger Zelazny
2. Jack Vance
3. C.S. Friedman
4. Clive Barker
5. Weiss and Hickman (OK, only for sentimental reasons)

Stephen.
 
1. G.R.R. Martin
2. David Gemmell
3. Steven Erikson
4. Robert Adams
5. Robin Hobb
 
Last edited:
The most notable writers of fantasy are surely Her Majesty's Press...other than that I would go for these as my favs:

1. Gemmell
2. Tolkein (well..?!)
3. GRRM
4. Bakker
5. Hobb or Feist...can't decide!

Some of Feists books made me consider him, but he has also cashed in on some dross. Hobb writes with a great, often slow style, but I don't like everything she does.... :confused:
 
1. Alison Croggon-you have to ask!!!:eek:
2. J.R.R. Tolkein-elves...duh:rolleyes:
3. Brian Jacques- i love the relationships & realistic-ness of the animals:p
4. C.S. Lewis-he makes it easy to relate to HIM;)
5. Robin McKinley-i love her Beauty a re-telling of beauty and the beast:o
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top