Top 5 Favorite Authors!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hemingway
  • Start date Start date
Fantasy List from 5 years ago:

Robert Jordan
Steven Erikson
Robin Hobb
Kate Elliott
Melanie Rawn, Martin, Carey,lynn Flewelling, Carey, Gemmell

Current:
  1. Robert Jordan
  2. Neal Asher
  3. Melanie Rawn
  4. Dan Simmons
  5. J V Jones

SE drops of due to me not having read anyting after MT and losing all interest in picking them up again. Asher shoots up to second mainly because he puts out atleast one great book a year and thus his writing stays fresh in my mind. Not sure why Hobb has dropped off:confused:. Rawn stays on as even though she hasn't written anything for years I still have fond memories and she never let me down like Elliott did with the last two books in her "Crown of Stars" series. Simmons makes the list for the Hyperion and Endymon books. Jones should have been on the first list aswell.

Rothfuss will make the list if his follow up books are as good as his first.
 
My Top five

1.Steven Erikson
2. Robin Hobb
3. George RR Martin -- waiting too long
4. Patrick Rothfuss
5. David Gemmell
 
Last edited:
1. Jordan
2. Erikson
3. Sagara/West
4. Cook
5. Martin

As I look at my list, I think I tend to appreciate authors who write well and give me enough material to really draw me in and keep me there. I'm just not big on short series or stand-alone books.

Btw, I'm such a nerd . . . I just looked up 'series' to see what the plural form was. Apparently, it's an irregular noun having the same form for plural and singular. Thought I'd share that super-handy bit of info. . . lol.
 
Neil Gaiman
Terry Pratchett
GRRM
Glen Cook
Tolkien

I actually had to stretch for authors. I need to diversify my reading experience. Too often I find an author I like and spend quite a lot of time (and money) reading everything they ever wrote. But I am trying. That's why I started coming back to these forums after years away, to find new authors.
 
Since I posted that almost 3 years ago, here's the latest version:

Matthew Stover
Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin
Greg Keyes
Michael Moorcock

Of course, that will change the next time I post.

It is changing again, though only slightly:

Neil Gaiman
Matthew Stover
George R.R. Martin
Jim Butcher
Stephen King
 
Top 5

5. Overstreet
4. Card
3. Dekker
2. Gaiman
1. Donaldson

Honorable Mention - Eddings, Gemmel, Erikson...

Just because they aren't in my top 5 doesn't mean I don't enjoy them immensely.
 
Here goes my ever changing list XD
1)G R R Martin - no need to farther comment!
2)David Gemmell - his characters are the coolest in the genre, tied with R.A. Salvatore.
3)Robert Jordan - only for the five starting books.
4)J. V. Jones - I love her world building and characters interaction.
5)Brandon Sanderson - very original worlds and magic theories.


I can't help but mention couple of more authors that should enter my 10/20 best list!!!
With no specific order:

Steven Erikson, Berg Carol, Abercrombie Joe, R. Scott Bakker, Green Simon, David Eddings, Howard Robert E, Steven Brust, Robbin Hob, Anne Bishop, Stroud Jonathan, Rothfuss Patrick, Peter V Brett.
 
Until I found this forum, my list was:
1 Tolkien
2 GRRM
3 Jordan
4 Moorecock
5 Rawn

Right now it's:

1Tolkien
2 GRRM
3 Zelazny
4 Erikson
5 Susanna Clarke

I still love all those authors, this just shows I've entered a new realm of fantasy.
 
1. J.R.R. Tolkien
2. R. Scott Bakker
3. David Gemmell
4. Scott Lynch
5. Michael J. Sullivan

I imagine Sullivan is going to advance very quickly.

Steven Erikson, R.A. Salvatore, Jim Butcher, and Robert Jordan deserve mention.
 
In no particular order

1. Phillip Pullman - because his, His Dark Materials books are the most clever and challenging books I have read in my fifteen years.

2. Raymond E Feist - because I bought one his books from LIDL for £1.80 and nearly trashed the store, two hours later,when I realised they didn't have the sequel.

3. J K Rowling (so what? :p) - because The Philosophers Stone was the first bigger book I read on my own and was the book responsible for my obsession with fantasy and literature. (And the reason why my local library has a chair with my name on it).

4. Alison Croggon - because she was the first writer who made me think about what I was reading and because the way she writes is so poetic and beautiful.

5. Neil Gaiman - because his Anansi Boys was the first book I ever read after venturing into the Adult section of my library. I find his books hilarious and sometimes shocking. American Gods ;)
 
1. Robin Hobb
2. GRRM
3. GG Kay
4. Lynn Flewelling
5. C. Mieville, M. Zimmer Bradley, L. McMaster Bujold
 
1. Steven Erikson -The Malazan books are by far some of the most richly detailed and absorbing books I have ever read. While the series was at first a little hard to get into, once it had, me, I was hooked forever. Awesome characters, huge epic scope, vibrant world. Erikson also has the ability to write mammoth books and actually get them out in a very timely fashion, unlike some authors (cough..GRRM...cough)

2. David Gemmell -I own every novel he ever wrote and have to say that when it comes to heroic fantasy, there were few better. Books that grabbed me and entertained, and kept me wanting more. He will be missed.

3. Bernard Cornwell -Historic fiction at its finest.

4. Brian Ruckley -His Winterbirth series so far has me hooked. Great writing style and vivid landscapes and characters.

5. Tolkien -The master of making an epic fantasy world come alive. So detailed you almost believe Middle-Earth really existed. While his style is vey unlike most modern writers, I still read all the books every few years and love them for the works of art they represent.

** George R R Martin ** I love the ASoIaF series. Too bad I will probably never get to finish it as he seems to be too busy, "Not a Blogging", watching football, playing with miniatures, publishing and promoting old works, going to cons, and basically doing anything other than writing the next book! I have to say no author has made me more excited, nor disappointed me so much.
 
1. J.R.R Tolkien

2. Robin Hobb

3. Richard Laymon

4. James Herbert

5. Philip Pullman
 
1.L.E. Modsitt Jr.
2.R.A. Salvator
2.S.M. Stirling
3.J.K. Rowling
4.L. Ron Hubard
5.Simon R. Green

Kyn
 
just 5?? ;)

- Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (thank you Drangonlance for getting me started in Fantasy)
- R.A. Salvatore
- George R.R. Martin
- Raymond Feist
- David Eddings (also got me into the genre at an early age)

plenty more.. Tolkien is beyond this list! ;)
 
My. I haven't seen this thread in quite awhile. I'm stoked to see Robin Hobb listed on so many lists. Especially years back when her Fool series was current. Bravo!

And, because I can:

1. JRR Tolkien
2. George RR Martin
3. Robin Hobb
4. Robert Jordan
5. R. Scott Bakker

I wish writers including Lynch and Erikson were on this list, but Martin, Hobb, Jordan and Bakker have just been better. And, well, Tolkien was just the master.
 
Last edited:
3. Robert Stanek: Please tell me that someone else has read Kingdom Alliance. He's definitely coming out of obscurity and in a big way.
I know this quote is very old, but I just saw it and spit coffee all over my screen. Either this poor soul has horrible taste in books, or (more likely) it's Robert Stanek himself trying to pump his own work.

As to my top 5 (not counting magical realists):

GRRM
Stephen R. Donaldson
Felix Gilman
Daniel Abraham
J. V. Jones
 
Wow! This is hard. I thought the top 10 books was difficult, but this is even tougher. I tried to limit myself by not including an author who doesn’t have a body of work behind them or whose work has not yet stood the test of time. I also tried not to include authors who are still writing unfinished series, because I may not like the ending of the series or they may never finish that series. Now having said all that I just know my choices are going to contradict some of it. These are in no particular order, all I had to was name my 5 favourites not choose who was better than someone else:
1) Tad Williams: I haven’t seen this bloke write a bad book. From Tailchaser’s Song to the first volume of the Shadow series. He also writes different things. Tailchaser’s Song was a whimsical little piece about the mythology of cats. Memory, Sorrow & Thorn was a big LotR style epic, in fact I feel it was William’s homage to Tolkein. Otherland mixed fantasy and science fiction and had nods to everything from Alice In Wonderland to modern role playing computer games. Then he blew me away with the dark, but ultimately uplifting The War Of The Flowers. I’m reserving judgement on the Shadow series. The first book was less gripping than his other work and I’m waiting until he puts out the final book of that before getting the others.
2) Terry Pratchett: you can’t not include him. When A Colour Of Magic came out there were a number of ‘funny’ fantasies along the same lines of hapless, inept wizard (Rincewind) blunders from disaster to disaster, but eventually comes out on top, ACoM was a cut above most, but then when he decided to use totally different characters and examine another part of the world in Equal Rites that elevated him to a new level. He’s demonstrated that he can write across ages (the Bromeliad trilogy and the Johnny Maxwell books) and genres (Good Omens with Neil Gaiman and the new Nation, which is very different, but still immensely enjoyable).
3) J.K Rowling: the first contradiction. The Harry Potter books, whilst fantastic, are all one genre and about the same characters. She may have other books in her, but following HP is a hard ask. I’ve included her because I loved the HP books, the way the world was presented and how the characters, even the peripheral ones (Neville Longbottom from shy, awkward kid to butt kicking revolutionary hero) grew throughout the 7 books. She also provided many people with their entry into the wonderful world of fantasy and reading in general.
4) Jasper Fforde: he’d get in there just for Thursday Next, a concept which turned amusing fantasy on it’s head. I think the books have been described as silly books for smart people. He’s also done some ‘nursery rhyme’ mysteries, which while not as groundbreaking or brilliant as the Thursday Next series, are still thoroughly enjoyable and made me laugh out loud on public transport, something which always earns me disapproving glares from the people in dark suits and I love it when that happens.
5) JRR Tolkein: had to be there. The Hobbit is one of my all time favourite books, very different from LotR. I’m not a big LotR fan, I liked the book and the films and I can appreciate the achievement and the writing, but mainly the good professor makes this list for what his masterpiece did. It legitimized fantasy writing, it revolutionized the genre. If not for LotR and it’s stunning success many of the authors we have all loved and enjoyed may never have written and certainly would not have been inspired to turn their talents to the type of work that they have produced.

There were a whole bunch of people who missed out: George RR Martin, I’m a huge Ice and Fire fan, but I haven’t really enjoyed anything else that Martin has done and the last half a book (don’t kid yourself AFfC is half a book, no matter what spin the author or his more enthusiastic fans try to put on it) and the time and obvious struggle that the creator is having with the second half and the delay in producing it leads me to believe that he has lost control of the concept and that it may remain unfinished. Alan Dean Foster missed out, he’s predominantly a science fiction author, but his Spellsinger series was something I really had a lot of fun with, however the last couple of books in that were written purely for the money and cheapened the whole concept. Clive Barker couldn’t quite get in there, yes I know he’s mostly horror, but Weaveworld and Imajica were pure fantasy. Parke Godwin, although I see Firelord as fantasy, her other work was largely historical fiction. Roberta MacAvoy, probably my fault because I’ve only read the Damiano series, but I did try to read The Book of Kells and was unable to get through it. I would have loved to have included Scott Lynch, but the Gentleman Bastards series is unfinished and has yet to stand the test of time. Joe Abercrombie was unlucky, because The First Law trilogy almost tops Martin for edgy, hard, epic fantasy, but again we’ve yet to see how well his work will be regarded in 5 or 10 years time.
 
Back
Top