Wayne Batson
Tolkien Disciple
- Joined
- Nov 5, 2005
- Messages
- 401
I don't really pay much attention to ads. Most of my new books do come from me browsing at bookstores. As a 6th grade reading teacher, I tend to get lots of Borders & Barnes and Nobles gift cards. I love that, but they burn a hole in my pocket, and I can hardly wait to hit the bookstore to see what loot I can score.
This happened recently as the school year here just ended. My process was to look for authors I knew--to see if there was something new out: Robert Crais, Doug Preston & Lincoln Child, Patrick Carman, Jenni Nimmo, etc. I found several of their new titles. Then, I really did just scan the shelves. And there I kind of look for packaging: if the book looks cool on the spine (silly huh?), I tend to look at the cover art. If either title or art are cool, I read the blurb on back. If the concept intrigues me, I'll read the first page or two. That's really the clincher--if the writer is skillful and creative enough to hook me in the first coupla pages, I feel pretty safe that I will enjoy the rest of the book. Most of the time that works for me.
Two books that hooked me initially but fell kind of flat for me were Nancy Farmer's Sea of Trolls and Cornelia Funke's Dragon Rider. Don't get me wrong...those are two talented writers. It's just my book selection technique didn't work. I got hooked and then lost interest big time. Alas. Best laid plans.
This happened recently as the school year here just ended. My process was to look for authors I knew--to see if there was something new out: Robert Crais, Doug Preston & Lincoln Child, Patrick Carman, Jenni Nimmo, etc. I found several of their new titles. Then, I really did just scan the shelves. And there I kind of look for packaging: if the book looks cool on the spine (silly huh?), I tend to look at the cover art. If either title or art are cool, I read the blurb on back. If the concept intrigues me, I'll read the first page or two. That's really the clincher--if the writer is skillful and creative enough to hook me in the first coupla pages, I feel pretty safe that I will enjoy the rest of the book. Most of the time that works for me.
Two books that hooked me initially but fell kind of flat for me were Nancy Farmer's Sea of Trolls and Cornelia Funke's Dragon Rider. Don't get me wrong...those are two talented writers. It's just my book selection technique didn't work. I got hooked and then lost interest big time. Alas. Best laid plans.

