Takoren
Mistress of the Snark
- Joined
- May 28, 2007
- Messages
- 1,098
This isn't a hard and fast rule, and I've read many fantasy novels that are set on Earth, including The Dresden Files, which I just love, American Gods and several Victorian-era steampunk-fantasy novels. This also isn't a comment on an author's skill; usually these writers are great.
That said, what will make me put a book right back down again after picking it up from the book store shelf is if I read the description on the cover flap/back and it's obvious this is supposed to take place on Earth; usually a modern Earth that's more or less our own, but with magic. I'm willing to make exceptions if said book is rated very highly, but even there, I often just say "no thanks."
I guess it comes back to why I read fantasy; to visit alternate realities. Other genres don't do this to me; general fiction is of course set in our world, as is historical fiction, mystery, thriller, etc., and horror is much scarier if it's happening in "our" world because it's easier to picture it happening to us.
But for some reason, non-sec-world fantasy needs to win me over. I tend to want to stay away from it. Am I the only one who feels this way?
That said, what will make me put a book right back down again after picking it up from the book store shelf is if I read the description on the cover flap/back and it's obvious this is supposed to take place on Earth; usually a modern Earth that's more or less our own, but with magic. I'm willing to make exceptions if said book is rated very highly, but even there, I often just say "no thanks."
I guess it comes back to why I read fantasy; to visit alternate realities. Other genres don't do this to me; general fiction is of course set in our world, as is historical fiction, mystery, thriller, etc., and horror is much scarier if it's happening in "our" world because it's easier to picture it happening to us.
But for some reason, non-sec-world fantasy needs to win me over. I tend to want to stay away from it. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Last edited:

