Dresden Files

much better but you still have to find something that pleases you... They do get a lot better as they go on but do follow a certain model that doesnt really change much from book to book. If you actually disliked book one i dont think you should read the others but if you thought it was a good book just not very much so then It does get a lot better.
 
Dead Beat is the next book in the series for me to read. As with all of these books, I'm looking forward to it.
 
Butcher actually recommends beginning with book 7, Dead Beat—it's his favorite.

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=1825

It's my favorite too.

Dead Beat is my favorite too but I wouldn't recommend starting with it. Too much prior plot and character history by that point. I'd just say start from the beginning with the knowledge that the series does get much better as it goes along. If books must be skipped then I would say skip the first two and start with Grave Peril.
 
The two reviews I posted last night are both for books set in Butcher's Dresden Files. However, they are books off the main line of the novels.

The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle is the bound/graphic novel which is comprised of the 4-issue miniseries that graced comic shop shelves over the summer. I picked up both the single issues and received the bound version from the publisher. As my review indicates, I really enjoyed it and think it is a solid introduction to Harry Dresden’s world. I thought the art was pretty good and the story was engaging. The Dabels are going to be publishing comics adaptations of all the Dresden Files novels, starting with Storm Front.


The other Dresden Files offshoot I reviewed was Backup*, a novelette coming out this month from the fine folks at Subterranean Press. I thought the story was good, even though Harry was a supporting character, and this length seems a great fit for smaller stories in Dresden Files.

* Beware of spoilers events in (at least) book six are revealed here.
 
I know it doen't fit in with this thread but what do you think about the Dresden Files TV show??? The stories were gripping and presented interesting takes on the novels.
 
Glad to see that the comic is out in a trade. Too bad it's HC and I have to wait for the SC.

As for the TV show, I thought it was rubbish. I could barely get through the first episode and didn't watch it again.

I just finished White Night and was shocked that a plot line got resolved with a certain coin.
 
I'm not a huge comic book fan myself but I did really enjoy this. I'm really looking forward to the next one. He mentioned in an interview (not sure where) that there are plans to write on about events between Storm Front and Fool Moon once the Storm Front comic is complete.
 
I didn't really get into the TV series until I'd read a couple of the books - bought the DVD of the full season and thoroughly enjoyed the series - STILL upset that they didn't continue it. Just finished reading Small Favor - thoroughly enjoyed it!!!! Turn Coat is due to be released next month (April 2009) - might just have to quit being a cheapskate and buy that in hard back.
 
I mostly enjoyed the series, but was upset that they did away with the rune staff. And the person playing Harry.....he just didn't seem right for the part.

I guess those front cover illustrations gave me a deeply embedded notion of what Harry looks like.:o
 
I really didn't care for the show. Too much was changed from the books, and I absolutely love the books. And you are right, the guy that played Harry just didn't do it for me. I might have liked the series more if the actor seemed a bit more like Harry. But then I think I am just a little in love with Harry and no one is going to fit the bill:)
 
I really didn't care for the show. Too much was changed from the books, and I absolutely love the books. And you are right, the guy that played Harry just didn't do it for me. I might have liked the series more if the actor seemed a bit more like Harry. But then I think I am just a little in love with Harry and no one is going to fit the bill:)
I actually thought Paul Blackthorne was very like Harry, not quite tall enough, but how many 6'8" leading men are there out there? He also wasn't as ugly as Harry describes himself, but then again this is TV who wants to watch an ugly guy? James Marsters (who reads the audio books) was their first choice, but turned it down. Marsters is an excellent actor, but would have been wrong for this role, I could see him as Harry's half brother Thomas, though and not just because Thomas is a vampire.
 
I'm with you on this one Seegee. thought Blackthorne was a more than adequate guy to play Harry Dresden.........I'd love to see this program back on SciFi - definetely would prefer it over all this "Ghost Hunters" crap!!!
 
I was fine with Harry, it was Bob that I couldn't get over.
 
I thought Blackthorne was great as Harry. I also wasn't thrilled about Bob, but I understood that they felt the need to have a person in the role for Blackthorne to play against, rather than just a talking skull most of the time. So instead of a spirit, he was a ghost and his backstory wasn't too bad.

What I didn't like was that not only did they rewrite the stories -- which did need to be simplified in number of plotlines for some of them -- but they also changed Harry's background and they changed the whole mythology. Instead of vampires being what they were in the series, vampires just became standard vampires, and so on. They kept the essence -- noir detective who uses magic -- which is fun, but not exactly new to t.v. or anywhere else -- and threw out most of the rest, even though it was perfectly easy to follow. So it could have been any series, really.

I still watched it, though, and thought they were getting better, but it didn't last.
 
Back
Top