Internet Friendships....

1. I've had the opportunity to meet some sensational people on the net. But, I think you get to see the best of them online. Their posts are often considered, their humour is worked on and if they are capable writers they can appear to be likeable. Take me for instance... I'm not really a nice little sheep!

2. 2 years.

3. Unless I know the person as a whole, offline, I am reluctant to form close friendships or spend time chatting in chatrooms. Which seems cold but I know how easy it is slip into a new personality. I do like being able to chat to complete nutcases safely and enjoy chatting with people who don't seem to care about impressions.

4. Never! I once gave someone my address on something I mailed to them and I still worry about it!
 
My friends and I have exchanged real names and addresses. In fact, one of my "Farscape" pals offered to mail me videos of the first season after "knowing" me only a few weeks on a forum.
I guess I am too trusting about such things.
 
Originally posted by Rocketsheep
1. I've had the opportunity to meet some sensational people on the net. But, I think you get to see the best of them online. Their posts are often considered, their humour is worked on and if they are capable writers they can appear to be likeable. Take me for instance... I'm not really a nice little sheep!

My experience from meeting internet friends in reality is that their personality is exactly (almost creepy) the same.
I have been meet for about 20 persons by now
and I think it is hard to believe but their personality have been exactly the same as they are at the internet.
But their look use to be a very big surprise.
 
Originally posted by Eldanuumea
My friends and I have exchanged real names and addresses. In fact, one of my "Farscape" pals offered to mail me videos of the first season after "knowing" me only a few weeks on a forum.
I guess I am too trusting about such things.
I have send a parcel to a sweet internet sister who live on the other side of the world.
I hope it will arrive soon.
I am afraid it will be lost during the long way.
 
1. Good fun

2. Since April 2002

3. No real friendships yet

4. No

Ok sounds pretty dull , but I'm still warming to the whole idea of internet chit chat. Had been using the board primarily to sate my reading habbit and discovered a whole different world that I wasn't expecting to find . As you can tell from my post count that I'm not big on the gossiping or 'spam' , that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading everyone else's posts eg. the cat lovers thread , good one Jaquin ! :D
 
Nice topic :D

1. What do I think of internet friendships: they excist. There are people online I consider friends even though I never met them in the flesh. Not many, but a few. I talk to them off and on about twice or three times a week online, or read their posts on various forums. I find them easier to maintain than RL friendships, not as much 'maintenance'. I don't have to try and clear my agenda to see my internet friends, i can do that when it's convenient for me. It's getting much harder these days to find the time when both me and my friends can get together for an evening.

I do think I treat both kinds of friendship the same: I have a few close friends and lots of people I know, but would not call 'friends', even though I really like them.

2. How long have I known these friends? Not that long actually. About a year ago I discovered forums and chat (through msn messenger). It never interested me much before that and I still am not that much of an internet person, although I am online now more than ever.

3. How deep...? :D Good question. I am one of those who actually experienced signs of falling in love online... hehehe. To tie in with the last question: there is one person I have talked with online for nearly 6 months now, nearly everyday. And I am easily bored. Imagine my surprise when I found out I am still excited about talking to him after 6 months. :D

4. Have I ever met anyone? Yes, a whole group of them. But not one of them I considered friends, they were internet aquaintances and we had a ball that day. Went to a theme park based on fairytales in Holland. It was fun.

It's been a source af great amusement for my colleagues to hear about me falling in love like that. Well, I thought it was funny as well. And wonderful... <sigh>
 
Originally posted by Eldanuumea
My friends and I have exchanged real names and addresses. In fact, one of my "Farscape" pals offered to mail me videos of the first season after "knowing" me only a few weeks on a forum.
I guess I am too trusting about such things.
Well then gosh you really are like e-Morgana!

(winks at e-M!)

Seriously though - I'm the absolute opposite. I don't give anyone my full name, or even tell thenm which university i'm at. I suffer from internet paranoia, me :)
 
Originally posted by Sammie
Well then gosh you really are like e-Morgana!

(winks at e-M!)

Seriously though - I'm the absolute opposite. I don't give anyone my full name, or even tell thenm which university i'm at. I suffer from internet paranoia, me :)

Well, Sammie, I shall know not to ask, then!! Seriously, I have a British friend who writes often, but does not wish to divulge his "real" name. Folks have different privacy needs.
As long as you keep the Portal civilized like you do, I will be beholding to you!;)
 
Originally posted by Sammie
Well then gosh you really are like e-Morgana!

(winks at e-M!)
Was that a compliment or just more of a statement of fact?
undecided.gif


Anyway - I have always tended to think the best of people (much to my Dad's continual consternation) until they prove otherwise - I think it's too late to change now. :cool:
 
Sammie said:
I suffer from internet paranoia...
Just to provide the opposite point of view (for balance, don't you know...), I actually want people to know who I am. Being a new author, the toughest thing is to get people to take a chance on reading your stuff, 'cause you're an unknown quantity. Getting one's name out front and center is one way of overcoming that. Hence, I use my real name as my user id, my profile lists my website, etc. etc.

And besides, I'm much like e-M and Elda; I'm probably too trusting. I don't treat my internet friends any differently than real people (they are real people, after all, whether I physically see them or not). ("No, no," screams the little voice, "they're all figments of your imagination!") Stop that. WHACK. (Ouch!)

Sorry 'bout that. As I was saying... Everytime I post something, I go through the same worry as when I say something to anybody (Did I just annoy someone? Was that the right thing to say?) So in that sense they are just as real to me as the person sitting in the cubicle next door to me! (More real, actually; that guy is pretty strange...)
 
Originally posted by e-Morgana

Was that a compliment or just more of a statement of fact?
undecided.gif


Anyway - I have always tended to think the best of people (much to my Dad's continual consternation) until they prove otherwise - I think it's too late to change now. :cool:

I tend to be the opposite. People will utterly and completely wreck anything they get their hands on. I won't trust 'em until they can prove themselves trustworthy. Hasn't happened yet.
 
1. What do you think of them?
Why not? Life's short, and you can never have too many friends (as my Mum says).

2. How long have you "talked" to people I mean in years, not online in one session *g*
I don't frequent chat rooms, not least of all because I don't have the internet at home. But I do miss everyone here if I don't get any time during, say, lunch, to log in at least once a day! I've been a member here longer than I've belonged to any other net-based thing, and it's been a while!

3. How deep has your friendship gone?
As I said, I'd miss people here if I couldn't post, but haven't talked one-on-one with anyone yet. I'd be open to email exchanges, etc., but most people on this board tend to keep interactions on the forum.

4. Have you ever met anyone you have spoken to online in the flesh?
Yep. It was on a site where people post to find people to play D&D *quickly hits the snooze button on the geek alarm*, so it was a natural progression to meet them "in the flesh". But we met in a shopping centre, hung out a bit, and then made the leap to going to someone's house to start playing (and believe me, I let all my family and friends know the address, and told them I'd call when I got home safely). And that little group are now amongst my best friends.


And just to finish off with a nice story - my brother got engaged yesterday to a girl (sorry, woman) he met on the internet. They met in an over-30s chat-room, clicked, and chatted for almost a year. Then they met, became friends, and saw more and more of each other... until now (two or three years later)! So it can work out!
 
Originally posted by e-Morgana

You don't trust me?? :eek: :(

I don't trust my closest friend. I've known the guy for 20 years. I know him, therefore I know better than to trust him...
 
"I don't trust my closest friend. I've known the guy for 20 years. I know him, therefore I know better than to trust him..."

Yeah I thought that was a good philosophy but its way too lonely, are you married CM?
 
Originally posted by Radthorne

And besides, I'm much like e-M and Elda; I'm probably too trusting. I don't treat my internet friends any differently than real people (they are real people, after all, whether I physically see them or not). ("No, no," screams the little voice, "they're all figments of your imagination!") Stop that. WHACK. (Ouch!)

Sorry 'bout that. As I was saying... Everytime I post something, I go through the same worry as when I say something to anybody (Did I just annoy someone? Was that the right thing to say?) So in that sense they are just as real to me as the person sitting in the cubicle next door to me! (More real, actually; that guy is pretty strange...)
I also trust people until they give me a real reason to not trust them.
I do not want to become cold, closed and negative.
I want to keep my open heart and open mind.
I want to give my friendship and love from my heart.
I think our world need more love and less hate.
Of course I sometimes have been very hurt because of this
and I have certainly not had a easy life.
I have all reason to not trust people,
but I do not want to be cold and full of hate.
I have been in the darkness full of hate and pain.
It was a hard decision to let the hate go
so I could feel trust, friendship and love again.
I never want to find my self again in this condition, never again.
If this would happen the persons who have treated me very bad would still make me suffer and I would die in my heart and soul.
Then they would have beaten me into my bones.
I rather die than let the old hate win.

When it comes to make post I feel the same as you do.
I am always afraid to make some one sad and sorry.
Especial at English forums,
because of my English is bad I am even more afraid people will misunderstand what I really want to say.
But if I not take the risk say something,
I would not get the chance to make new friends.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top