chris777
Registered User
- Joined
- Oct 1, 2010
- Messages
- 1,616
Wasn't sure how to articulate my fear in the topic. And hopefully someone can chime in and explain why I'm wrong!
When I first started reading, which was only roughly 10years ago, I felt I had so many books(just speaking of fantasy genre) that I could never read all the ones I wanted to. After reading quite a bit of the new authors, and trying several classics, I've realized, for me, that the older styles do not hold up anymore. So if I cut out a majority of the "pre-80s", and focus on the newer series. I come up with a very short list. Besides venturing into graphic novels or scifi, and with my current policy of not starting a series until it's complete, I feel my list of quality books to read is VERY small anymore. Is it simply a matter of being spoiled? My expectations are too high? There's just not a plethora of Abercrombie, Erikson, Bakker quality authors out there with complete series. Sure you might be able to name like 10more that each have their own series. But once you have read those, there isn't another 10 that have taken their place. I feel we are in the midst of a lot of great quality series being created right now. But unless you are okay with reading and waiting 10years for the finish, you're options are quite limited.
When I first started reading, which was only roughly 10years ago, I felt I had so many books(just speaking of fantasy genre) that I could never read all the ones I wanted to. After reading quite a bit of the new authors, and trying several classics, I've realized, for me, that the older styles do not hold up anymore. So if I cut out a majority of the "pre-80s", and focus on the newer series. I come up with a very short list. Besides venturing into graphic novels or scifi, and with my current policy of not starting a series until it's complete, I feel my list of quality books to read is VERY small anymore. Is it simply a matter of being spoiled? My expectations are too high? There's just not a plethora of Abercrombie, Erikson, Bakker quality authors out there with complete series. Sure you might be able to name like 10more that each have their own series. But once you have read those, there isn't another 10 that have taken their place. I feel we are in the midst of a lot of great quality series being created right now. But unless you are okay with reading and waiting 10years for the finish, you're options are quite limited.

