Is Fantasy Reading Stagnant Right Now?

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way, even if it is more personal preferance than the actual state of things. But, on the same vein as authors doing longer series. Are they taking longer to write their series too? JV Jones, Rothfuss, GRRM...I know Robert Jordan did the same thing, but we are looking at like an average of 4years between books. 12years for 3books!
 
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way, even if it is more personal preferance than the actual state of things. But, on the same vein as authors doing longer series. Are they taking longer to write their series too? JV Jones, Rothfuss, GRRM...I know Robert Jordan did the same thing, but we are looking at like an average of 4years between books. 12years for 3books!

I swear the last JV Jones book is never coming out. I haven't heard an update about it in over a year.
 
Chris, you have a very narrow band of interests and requirements for the fantasy fiction you want to read from what you've said on many threads. Only a limited number of books and authors are going to fit that sort of criteria, which doesn't mean that they aren't good for the rest of us. There are thousands and thousands of fantasy writers putting out thousands and thousands of titles. But you are looking for very specific things. That's not a matter of stagnation in the fantasy field. Even if I did a bunch of recommendations of black pre-industrial secondary world battle epic fantasy fiction, it's likely you wouldn't like a lot of them because you didn't like the particular style, subject matter, whatever. But it is something we have done and can do again as candidates. We can do lists of hundreds of possible books.

You say you have big reading lists also, but it sounds like you don't want to have a big reading list. You may do better off with word of mouth from pals whose tastes you know absolutely that you share. General subject matter is easy. But when people have very particular preferences, recommendations get harder. That is again not stagnation.

As for finished series, this seems to have become a popular obsession in the last ten years or so for some fantasy fans. Which is an odd match since the fantasy field has a popular taste for things like long mystery-like series and serial trilogies. Fantasy authors build worlds and fiddle with them. Abercrombie doesn't have a finished series, but you've read him anyway. So the finished series goal may be something you just want to not worry about. Concentrate on people who do serial trilogies maybe if you are worried about stopping points.
 
I kind of feel the same way about current fantasy, but on a side note:

I can't really understand why some readers refuse to read a book if the series is not complete. To me that's like saying I refuse to watch a TV series until it's on Netflix.

I mean, if a book is good, then it's good. Just because a series is not complete, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy the individual books that have been completed. There's still pleasure and good reading to be had in the individual books.

I just don't understand. Especially in SFF. Series books are de rigueur in this genre, so if somebody refuses to read a series before its complete, they're essentially just cutting themselves off from reading any SFF for years at a time! So yeah, in that case, I could see someone feeling like there's nothing to read.

Like many, I've also gone through the agonizing waits for WoT and GoT etc., but in the end, I don't think there's anything wrong with a little anticipation. In fact, it's kind of good, because as you read other stuff, in the back of your mind is that warm, fuzzy feeling that up ahead somewhere on the horizon is a book you're really looking forward to. It's kind of like digging through a bunch of mundane tasks, but you know somewhere in there is a treat that you're going to enjoy so much.
 
I can't really understand why some readers refuse to read a book if the series is not complete.

You may not share the feeling, but understanding it is easy. Would you stop reading a book you love at the midpoint, put it aside in a drawer for two years and then finish it? Maybe that way you'll get that "warm, fuzzy feeling that up ahead somewhere on the horizon is a book you're really looking forward to". Since, unlike the original poster, I think there are plenty of good books to read, it makes sense to concentrate on finished stories and leave unfinished ones for later, once they are finished.

Of course it depends on the series. Some series are just a single, very long, story, arbitrarily divided in several books. Those are the ones I prefer to avoid until they are finished. In other series the individual books are relatively standalone, and I have no problem reading those.
 
Coming back to the subject. These are Locus Magazine's recommended reading lists of books published from 2000 to 2013. Look at the descriptions of the books, and you should discover plenty of unknown authors that may appeal to you. Even in the fantasy category not all of them will be epic fantasy. You'll have to decide whether to concentrate exclusively on a narrow field or diversify a bit:

2000:
http://www.locusmag.com/2000/Reviews/BestOf2000.html

2001:
http://www.locusmag.com/2002/Issue02/RecommendedReading2001.html

2002:
http://www.locusmag.com/2003/Issue02/RecommendedReading.html

2003:
http://www.locusmag.com/2004/Issues/02RecommendedReading.html

2004:
http://www.locusmag.com/2005/Issues/02RecommendedReading.html

2005:
http://www.locusmag.com/2006/Issues/02RecommendedReading.html

2006:
http://www.locusmag.com/2007/2006RecommendedReading.html

2007:
http://www.locusmag.com/2008/2007RecommendedReading.html

2008:
http://www.locusmag.com/2009/2008RecommendedReading.html

2009:
http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2010/Issue02_RecommendedReadingList.html

2010:
http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2011/Issue02_RecommendedReading.html

2011:
http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2012/02/2011-recommended-reading-list/

2012:
http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2013/02/2012-recommended-reading-list/

2013:
http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2014/02/2013-locus-recommended-reading-list/


And these are just starting points. There are plenty of good books that are not there.

Anyway, my advice will be not to over-analyze too much and read and try things. As Mark Lawrence said, you do not want a new Joe Abercrombie. Why would you want an Abercrombie-wannabe when you can have the real Abercrombie? Each good writer has their own style, so discover them and enjoy the ones that work for you. If you close your mind and only accept a very particular style you'll be limited to lackluster copies that will never quite live up to the original.
 
Last edited:
Would you stop reading a book you love at the midpoint, put it aside in a drawer for two years and then finish it?
If that's all that was completed at the moment, and I had nothing else to read - then yes, why not? At least I'd be reading something I enjoy instead of going without.

Series are a staple of the genre. With the number of fantasy series out there in mid course, you're basically opting to go through long periods of famine if you wait for your feast.

Just mho, of course.
 
Chris, you have a very narrow band of interests and requirements for the fantasy fiction you want to read from what you've said on many threads. Only a limited number of books and authors are going to fit that sort of criteria, which doesn't mean that they aren't good for the rest of us. There are thousands and thousands of fantasy writers putting out thousands and thousands of titles. But you are looking for very specific things. That's not a matter of stagnation in the fantasy field. Even if I did a bunch of recommendations of black pre-industrial secondary world battle epic fantasy fiction, it's likely you wouldn't like a lot of them because you didn't like the particular style, subject matter, whatever. But it is something we have done and can do again as candidates. We can do lists of hundreds of possible books.

You say you have big reading lists also, but it sounds like you don't want to have a big reading list. You may do better off with word of mouth from pals whose tastes you know absolutely that you share. General subject matter is easy. But when people have very particular preferences, recommendations get harder. That is again not stagnation.

As for finished series, this seems to have become a popular obsession in the last ten years or so for some fantasy fans. Which is an odd match since the fantasy field has a popular taste for things like long mystery-like series and serial trilogies. Fantasy authors build worlds and fiddle with them. Abercrombie doesn't have a finished series, but you've read him anyway. So the finished series goal may be something you just want to not worry about. Concentrate on people who do serial trilogies maybe if you are worried about stopping points.
First of all, I don't agree with you. I think I maybe post my honest feelings about all the books I read here more often than some. There's barely been a book I read in the past 3 years that I didn't post a comment here about. So being loudly opinionated is not the same as being 'too picky', which your first sentence suggests. I've liked a range of plot depth from Malazan to Night Angel or Mistborn. From Feist to Rothfuss. Honestly, I can count on ONE HAND how many books/series I have disliked. Farseer, Perdido Street, Coldfire, EarthSea..that's pretty much it. Everyone has their own preferences, if you like everything written then that's kind of a boring way to perceive things.

It's not that I don't want a big list. What I find as my problem with my "big list" is that I rank them from books I really want to read to books that I should eventually read but not too excited for. So once I get through all the ones I really wanted to read, I have no more books I am really excited for. The only ones I've heard about that I have been excited for are a part of a large series that has no purposeful stopping point. I'd rather hold off on those. But I rarely hear about this great new 'finished' series.

If you don't think Abercrombie has a finished series, then you don't quite grasp what that word means. In your definition NOTHING is ever finished. Any author can write more in their respective world no matter how they end it. I am talking about a duology, trilogy, or ~5book series. When an author sets up his plot outline he has a beginning and an end. They talk about how many books this will take to get from that start to finish. This is a complete series. Whether or not there is a follow up to that, it doesn't matter. You, imo, are confusing the word "series" with "universe" or "world". The universe may not be at it's conclusion, but the series that the author wrote around said universe is. Take Sanderson and Bakker for example. Bakker has 3 trilogies around one over arching plot, that I would call his universe. In this universe he has written 1 complete trilogy and almost finished another. But they will be 3 self contained trilogies. They are each a complete series. While Sanderson is saying he is writing 10 books in his over arching Stormlight series. Bakker I can read. Sanderson I would rather wait for if I can.

I can't really understand why some readers refuse to read a book if the series is not complete. To me that's like saying I refuse to watch a TV series until it's on Netflix.
My last point to Kat sort of explains why I feel this way. For me, I don't normally take breaks between a series. If I like it enough, I will read a trilogy or longer series back to back, no breaks. I like to be very fresh about what just happened when I start the next one. I don't like to re-read a series or the last book before picking up the next. I sometimes will look for a plot outline on wiki or something, but even then it doesn't feel the same. The very best experience for me is being able to read back to back each book. So for that reason, I choose to read the books at what would be my optimum enjoyment. And that is not waiting years between each installment.
 
Last edited:
If that's all that was completed at the moment, and I had nothing else to read - then yes, why not? At least I'd be reading something I enjoy instead of going without.

I agree. The problem here is the "if I had nothing else to read" part. Because I have a lot I would like to read.


you're basically opting to go through long periods of famine if you wait for your feast.

I can't agree with this. I'm just opting not to read some books right away, but those series will eventually be completed and then I'll have all the books in the series to read. In the meantime, I have many standalone books and finished series to read (or unfinished series with relatively standalone books).

I guess it comes down to how much it bothers you to put a story aside for a year or more and then go on reading. Maybe I just have worse memory than the average reader, but I often find myself wondering "OK, what was going on here, exactly? Who was this character?" and it's not always practical (for lack of time) to reread all the previous books in the series each time a new one is published.
 
And these are just starting points. There are plenty of good books that are not there.

Anyway, my advice will be not to over-analyze too much and read and try things. As Mark Lawrence said, you do not want a new Joe Abercrombie. Why would you want an Abercrombie-wannabe when you can have the real Abercrombie? Each good writer has their own style, so discover them and enjoy the ones that work for you. If you close your mind and only accept a very particular style you'll be limited to lackluster copies that will never quite live up to the original.

I appreciate the effort, but that is just a list of novels that came out that year. It doesn't differentiate a series vs a standalone. Find me a list of series that were completed in the past 5 years that received overall good reviews. And then I'l' give you an sffworld gold. =)

As far Joe...i'm not quite sure I follow. Why do I want another Joe when I can read him? Because I've already read everything he's published, and am just waiting for his new stuff. So if I can read another authors that I feel is as good, why not. I think LOTS of authors are as good as he is, some I think are better. I just gravitated towards First Law.(And full disclosure....I read a lot of his books on my honeymoon on a beautiful beach, so my mood was probably pretty good).

I am mainly complaining about what I see as a lack of NEW-GOOD-COMPLETE-SERIES lately. I think you have too many authors either writing too many books in their series, taking too long to finish their series, or having a great debut book and failing to meet expectations in the next installments.
 
I appreciate the effort, but that is just a list of novels that came out that year. It doesn't differentiate a series vs a standalone.

Oh, come on, that's what Goodreads or FantasticFiction or Wikipedia is for :)


As far Joe...i'm not quite sure I follow.

I meant that if you look for writers who are "just like XXXX" then you are bound to be disappointed. Either they'll have their own distinctive style or they'll be a pale copy of XXXX. Nobody can beat Joe Abercrombie at being Joe Abercrombie.

There is however someone who can beat Pat Rothfuss at being Pat Rothfuss:
http://www.maryrobinettekowal.com/journal/how-i-beat-pat-rothfuss-at-being-pat-rothfuss/
 
First, sorry about the feelings, not a fun moment.

I don’t really relate to you on this. My taste is very different from yours and I feel I’ve barely scratched the surface due to my lack of reading time.

I do relate to that feeling of stagnation though. There have been periods in which I thought TV and music were very blah. A lot of times that’s due to my taste being out of synch with the majority. But things ebb and flow and with the internet you have a better chance than ever to find something.

That being said you read a lot more than me and so I can see how you may be feeling fantasy is stagnant due to how fast you consume combined with your particular taste.

I don’t relate to the need for complete series, but I think I’d write pretty much like a TV series and only end it when I’ve been cancelled/sales is too bad/out of ideas. So I don’t feel a need for an ending as long as the book is complete in itself and has a sense of wholeness.

My only suggestion is to perhaps look up your favorite authors and try and find what authors influenced them. Who are their favorites? And whose work do they recommend?

That’s all I got.

Good luck.

Nick.
 
I have compiled a large list from all these "Top" links and others I have found. I am researching all of these books to see if they are worthy...rather than post them here and turn this into a recommendation threads, I will create another thread. This can continue to be about whether or not "new, complete, good" fantasy series are stagnant right now. =)
 
You simply read too fast. And after a while, you hone your taste, which is why it makes it more difficult to find the stuff you like, because you narrow down your search. As a younger person, you probably had more patience reading everything. I know I did. Nowadays, most of the fantasy books are just not mature enough for my taste. Savvy?
Igor
 
Sounds to me like you need to take a break from reading? I was in a similar situation a few months back.. I wanted something like Kingkiller, aside from the Farseer series and Blood song nothing comes close, spent hours on amazon, goodreads and google trying to find something but got nowhere

Try watching a series like breaking bad, sons of anarchy or prison break.. get through it in a few weeks to a month then reading might feel fresh when you return to it - did for me.

I think you are just burnt out.
 
First of all, I don't agree with you. I think I maybe post my honest feelings about all the books I read here more often than some.

Never said your feelings weren't honest or that you were too picky, just that your preferences are specific. You like certain kinds of books -- epic battle fantasy set in pre-industrial secondary worlds, leaning towards the grimdark part of the spectrum. (Yes, author Sam Sykes, there you go, I will use the term; it seems to be working.) There's nothing wrong with that, but it is harder to come up with recommendations with narrower criteria. And someone not being able to find books they like the look of with a narrower criteria doesn't mean the fantasy field as a whole for everybody else has stagnated.

I've liked a range of plot depth from Malazan to Night Angel or Mistborn. From Feist to Rothfuss. Honestly, I can count on ONE HAND how many books/series I have disliked. Farseer, Perdido Street, Coldfire, EarthSea..that's pretty much it.

Feist to Rothfuss is not a wide range -- they are in the exact same neighborhood. Likewise, Malazan, Night Angel and Mistborn are all the same neighbors too -- grimdark epic battle fantasy, not that far from Feist and Rothfuss. You don't really mention anything contemporary fantasy, so that's thousands of titles you don't like. Ditto historical fantasy, futuristic fantasy, etc. You're not a big fan of YA. You don't like certain styles of secondary world fantasy. You're not against women authors, but haven't expressed much interest in them either. None of this is bad, it just makes it harder to rec. It's a thinner slice of the fantasy pie. (But I'll take a look at your list in the other thread and see if I can help any there. Where we intersect in tastes, we're not that far off often on titles.)

Everyone has their own preferences, if you like everything written then that's kind of a boring way to perceive things.

Everybody does, which is why the fantasy field is not stagnating for everybody. :)

It's not that I don't want a big list. What I find as my problem with my "big list" is that I rank them from books I really want to read to books that I should eventually read but not too excited for.

Unless you are taking a class with a required reading list, there are no fantasy titles that you should eventually read. So if you have no interest in them, don't read them. Very few series that have been written in the last fifteen years are finished. Even when an author moves off and does something else, they often come back to the world they created to finish a long story or do other, sequel ones. So if you want to read the newer people, you have to gamble a bit, I'm afraid. Of course, Sanderson or Weeks can keep one person busy for a while.

If you don't think Abercrombie has a finished series, then you don't quite grasp what that word means.

I do actually believe certain series are finished, yes. But Abercrombie's is most certainly not. Abercrombie is doing serialized trilogies to tell a large story of the war between Bayaz (North) and his opponents in the South (Empire,) which began thousands of years ago when they were apostles and is continuing on a very large, years spanning chessboard in his world. The first trilogy covered Bayaz's reappearance on the scene and involved his first large opening salvo battles with his opponents, in which some questions about the past were answered but most not. His second trilogy consists of "stand alone" books that do offer stories with stopping points, but which also contain forays that advance the larger story of the war and follow in progression with overlapping characters. All three progress the story of the war as a side part and an undercurrent of the central story for that episode. After he does his YA books, Abercrombie is doing another trilogy that won't be as episodic as the second one. I don't know if he will finish Bayaz's war in that trilogy or not and we will have the fate of the apostles and the end of the war, or if it will just be another campaign of the on-going war, like the First Law trilogy. It will be interesting to see if the door to the demon dimension that supplies the magic does get opened up this time, changing the war. I am curious to see how Abercrombie will end his story and resolve his mythology. However, it may be quite a while down the road before we actually get to that story ending.

If, however, you are comfortable with serialized trilogies that do contained stories (Bakker's are kind of semi-contained,) or overall arching ones like Abercrombie's books and Glen Cook's Black Company books that you are currently reading, then that makes it easier. You can read a first trilogy that may be done and stop or continue. There are also the episodic series like suspense series that are most popular in contemporary fantasy but also show up for some secondary world fantasy. They have contained stories in each book but overarching plotlines related to the main characters in the series as the characters' lives progress, so they can go on for decades. I don't know if you'd count that as finished and not a problem or not finished and a problem. For instance, Stephen Brust's Jhereg series could be one.

I understand that you like to binge read and again, there's nothing wrong with that. But it does make it again harder to rec for you, especially if you are going, no older people! Older people are more likely to have finished series. Then again, Tad Williams is returning to Memory, Sorrow and Thorn world -- but he did finish that story in a trilogy, so this is essentially a new story in the same world.

I'll give you an example of what I mean. Here is a list of fantasy books I've been reading the last several months. It isn't the sort of list that would work for you, because the titles don't fit most of your usual preferences.

Life After Life, Kate Atkinson (standalone, historical parallel universe fantasy novel set 1910-1967, that one I'm guessing no for you)
Locke Lamora: Republic of Thieves, Scott Lynch (book three in an episodic series with ongoing over arch plot; I forget if you've tried these, they are satiric grimdark)
Shadow's Son, Jon Sprunk (pre-ind sec world with grimdark and some dark satire, first of a trilogy that is finished so maybe if you haven't read already, Jon can answer any questions)
Esther Diamond: The Misfortune Cookie, Laura Resnick (on-going satiric/farce suspense contemporary fantasy series, book #6, def not for you, but wife might like?)
Codex Born, Jim C. Hines (book 2 in Jim's Libromancer series, a satiric suspense contemporary fantasy series)
Garrett P.I.: Wicked Bronze Ambition, Glen Cook (latest in long running satiric suspense pre-ind sec world fantasy series)
Nysta: Duel at Grimwood Creek, Lucas Thorn (book #2 in what I'm not sure is a trilogy or a series or a serialized trilogies series -- pre-ind sec world satiric thriller dark western flavored fantasy series, def can be considered grimdark, might be workable for you, and at least the first trilogy is done, which completes a story, Lucas can answer any questions)
Death and Resurrection, R.A. MacAvoy (serialized novellas novel, contemporary fantasy, parallel dimensions, prob not for you)
Red Country, Joe Abercrombie (you read already)
Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues and White Trash Zombie Apocalypse, Diana Rowland (Books 2 and 3 in ongoing satiric suspense contemporary fantasy series -- there are science fiction underlays to the zombism but also some supernatural stuff, def not for you)
Circus Tresaulti: Mechanique, Genevieve Valentine (somewhat tech-dead post-apoc story kept vague whether future Earth or sec world, complete story but leaves room for others in same world, dark (New Weirdish) fantasy but not grimdark battle -- though it has battle scenes -- I'm guessing given the reaction to Perdido that it would be a no)
The Corpse-Rat King, Lee Battersby (pre-ind sec world dark satire adventure fantasy, edges grimdark, the book itself does have an ending as a standalone, however there are major threads left open for sequels, which he hasn't been putting out yet)
And there was also Feed, Mira Grant, which is science fiction but it's post-apoc zombies, so fantasy readers may like, although it's not a tech-dead post-apoc Earth

So see, I can't just say, I read this, it was great, or fun or...because you do not like to read those, except for Red Country, which you already read. For me, this list shows fantasy isn't stagnating, but lately I have only been reading a few sec world epics. But I'll look through your list in the other thread and I'll comb if I can while sorting book titles to see if anything pops up. The grimdark sec world epic field is large: Mark Lawrence, Sam Sykes, Douglas Hulick, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Daniel Abraham, Joe, Peter V. Brett, Michael Sullivan, Jon, Lucas, Erickson, Weeks, Sanderson, Bakker, Stover, etc. but I don't know how many of those you've read, so I'll check your list.
 
Ah, okay, I can understand Chris's viewpoint.

I guess for me, I'm just used to the wait between books in series/authors I like. I've been reading fantasy since I was a young boy in the late 70's. The amount of good books in the fantasy genre and the publishing world as a whole are vastly different now compared to what they were back then - or even ten or five years ago.

And I've also gone through long periods where I haven't seen anything that struck my fancy. One just very recently. So I do agree with Chris about a feeling of stagnation in fantasy.

But I also think it's a cyclical thing and very subjective. Each person has their own particular tastes they feel are being met or not at different times. For me, it's just that incomplete series have nothing to do with it.

As to why I feel that fantasy is kind of stagnant right now? Again, this is just my opinion pertaining to my own personal taste:

I just feel like there's a lot of same ol', same ol' out there right now. I also went through this in the 80's. I'm kind of tired of the now formulaic "gritty" stories and a lot of what I've read recently has left me underwhelmed.

I guess I'm just looking for that next "rush". That feeling of something new and not seen before and amazing. That kind of book that opens up a new world you'd never imagined.

A good fantasy – for me – has not just a new, imaginative world, but is also unpredictable. It has unique and powerful characters that evoke strong emotions. It has twists and turns and reversals and those oh-so-delicious "holy sh*t!" moments.

When I'm done with that particular book, I'm left feeling something. I'm heartened by what human beings can aspire to and accomplish. Or I'm horrified at what human beings can aspire to and accomplish.

And I'm left wondering about the world the author created and how it (and the people who reside in it) differ from ours, yet is the same.

I have a smile on my face and a good feeling inside and I'm looking forward to the next book – even if it's not ready yet. A lot of times, if a new book is coming out in a series I really like, I'll re-read the previous book(s) and enjoy them all again.

Again, this is just my own personal take on why I agree with Chris on fantasy feeling stagnant right now. Maybe I'm too picky or maybe I'm jaded. But a lot of what I've read lately has felt somewhat tepid. And I guess I'm waiting for the next book that makes me feel that magic.
 
Thanks for the in-depth reply Kat, I think you understand my taste better than I do. Can I contact you to be my personal 'book finder'? =) Anyways, yes I will look at those authors. Some are ones I have listed on that other thread, I haven't had a chance to read your reply there yet though.
 
hmm.

i'm 40 years old. i own more than 1000 paper books, most of which are fantasy. read them all. most of them more than once. some of them a lot more than that. a few i read once a year.

i've borrowed almost as many as i read. i now own a kindle which got full.

twice.

i can honestly say when i go to my local bookshop that i've pretty much read everything on their scifi shelves and for this not to be an overstatement based on bravado.

and you know what? my tbr list is still magnificently healthy. there's ALWAYS something awesome coming out. ALWAYS something new. the genre itself changes as new blood comes and matures and lets new blood in again. as old authors die and go to legendary heaven to drink mead or whatever they do there. as publishers rise and fall. as ebooks flare into life, bringing an avalanche of fresh ideas. as comic book heroes and grrm become popular, once again invigorating the genre by encouraging fantasy publishers to publish more.

to say there is nothing to read, or that the fantasy genre has grown stale, pretty much says it's time to leave the safety of your local bookstore and welcome yourself to the joy that is internet shopping. amazon and ebay are great starts. review sites (there's reviews here). forums.

just yesterday i added 4 new books to my kindle. 4! and ordered a box of pulp fantasy novels from ebay! woot! feel the excitement.

besides. kameron hurley is also writing her next book. how is THAT not the most exciting news of forever today? :D
 
All support behind what Lucas said, except for one little thing.

Again, grim, dark material has always been popular in fantasy fiction and of course in fantasy horror. Always been one of the most popular and regularly published. Always popular in suspense. ALWAYS. It's not newly popular. It's not now putting out bestsellers where it wasn't before. It was popular in the 1960's, the 1970's, the 1980's, the 1990's, the 2000 and the teens. It's a loved perennial, in large part because it is seen as the most macho of types of storytelling.

I will accept the idea of a particular grimdark literary movement (old fashioned def of genre) that has particular attributes in secondary world fantasy (secondary world fantasy being one of its attributes,) emerging in the oughts and on-going. But, that doesn't change how wide spread and popular grim material, antiheroes and bloody violence in general have always been. So if grim is the desired material, fantasy has never been stagnated on it.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top