LOTR: Return of the King discussion (spoiler thread))

Miriamele said:
251 minutes? That's LONG. I can't wait to see all the bits they so blatantly cut out of the theatrical version.

By the time the DVD is released I'll be getting close to my due date (I'm pregnant, that is) so I can only imagine the number of pee breaks I'm going to need to watch that mammoth!

Thanks for sharing that with us, Miriamele... :D

Whilst it's not as long as some were hoping for, an extra 51 minutes does seem promising.

Strange thing, though - while I know that the extended versions of the earlier movies were substantially longer than the theatrical releases, they didn't seem it to me. I think that might be due to the fact that they're more coherent. They seem to flow along rather a bit more smoothly.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to whether, somewhere down the line, we're going to get even longer ("definitive") versions? I'd think it highly likely, but that's just me...
 
Arghhh! That made sense when we had new LOTR films to look out for in December, but now..? I'd really hoped the release date would have been pushed forward a bit

So was I. Actually it still doesn't make sense that the EE will be out this late,, I could kind of see their point when the films were still being released in cinemas but now? What's the point? Unless of course they simply needed that much time to finish it. Probably for marketing reasons primarily, they must think the biggest financial hit will be in November.

Anyway, this will be the only DVD I'm buying. I'm really looking forward to it, because I know it will contain so many great scenes which were axed from the theatrical (several of them really unfortunate IMO). I'm thinking of Aragorn's Palantir scene, Gandalf the White vs Witch King, Voice of Saruman sequence...

Over 4 hours ha? That's truly humongous and longer than I expected. That may actually be too much. Still, the FoTR EE was significantly better adaptationwise and filmwise than the theatrical, so this one will improve upon the theatrical as well.

Where exactly did you read that about the release and the timespan Julian?
 
Mithfânion said:
Over 4 hours ha? That's truly humongous and longer than I expected. That may actually be too much. Still, the FoTR EE was significantly better adaptationwise and filmwise than the theatrical, so this one will improve upon the theatrical as well.

Where exactly did you read that about the release and the timespan Julian?

Dare I say it? The Free Record Shop site. Not quite sure if this'll get you to the correct page immediately, but here goes:

http://www.freerecordshop.nl/pages/productview.asp?ProductID=431489

Have to agree with your view on "Fellowship", Mith! Everything came together there. I thought "Towers" an improvement, too - but a much less noteworthy improvement. It remains rather shakey, don't you think?
 
That edition looks pretty damn cool. I'm really looking forward to the EE as it is for the extra content, more so than with previous EE's, and now that I've seen the set I do so even more.

FoTR EE really felt much better than the theatrical. Perhaps I feel that way (partly or wholly) because I've read the book first and then saw the film and wanted the film (within reasonable boundaries) to reflect Tolkien's masterpiece. However I have found that with all three films the adaptation was really haphazard. Good, entertaining films which I would rate 8 out of 10 stars, but they definitly didn't live up to the potential that they had to faithfully re-tell the story of the LoTR. In fact, several characters were changed in ways that I find totally ridiculous and plain unacceptable. Also, while there's much invented stuff in the films that looks really cool, it has always struck me, throughout all three films, how Jackson really doesn't have an eye for the " cinematic gold" that is already in the LoTR as written. He's so busy trying to change the story to his pleasure while keeping faithful to details like costuming etc, that he sometimes forgets what book parts would work awesome on screen. Seriously, if you look at all the iconic scenes in the three books, you'll find that Jackson has left intact perhaps 1% of them. If that. All the iconic scenes are completely changed, from showing the Fall of Sauron in the Battle of the Last Alliance to the scene with Frodo and Gollum in Mount Doom.

I also think that Tolkien simply told the story of the LoTR better than Jackson did, regardless of medium. In addition to that, Jackson's films feel much more attuned to a younger audience than the books do. People may argue that this is because film is a different medium, one with a different audience, and that we also live in a different time now, and all those arguments are valid, but they don't change the fact that the films feel more teenage.
 
Last edited:
what really made me mad was that they really screwed up Aragorn's crown. I know this is kind of silly but they did! Wasn't it supposed to be like a tall helm with a red jewel set on the top, and two swans wings on the sides, and seven diamonds along the brim? Hm...says it right in the book too!
 
I can't remember what it says in the book about Aragorn's crown, but I did think the first time I saw ROTK, "Gee, that crown looks kind of goofy." In fact I think he looked much cooler in his ranger clothes.
 
Speaking of the Extended Editions, CHECK THIS OUT!

ROTK will be the first time I pay extra to get the little sculpture...because LOOK HOW AMAZING IT IS! It's Minas Tirish (NOTE: It doesn't come with Minas Morgul, apparently that has to be bought afterwards, only if you've already bought the version with Minas Tirith).

Pictures of the Extended ROTK, with Minas Tirith

In regards to the Two Towers, yes I think the EE is better, but yes it is a bit "shaky"... the whole film was always a bit "shaky"... I think it's cause there was so much to squeeze in (even with a lot left out, like Saruman's demise, or Shelob).
 
Well, I suppose it's official now: New Line just sent out e-mails stating that the extended version of Return will be over 50 minutes longer than the theatrical release - but that this version will not be available until December 14th.

Patience and, afterwards, perhaps some endurance seem to be called for :).
 
Now we just need to wait till December 14th :( *patience*
Oh well, there're plenty of things to do between now and then :)
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.

Latest posts

Back
Top